Peter Holt

Default Face plates or face plates rings?

Having upgraded my lathe I have to buy new fittings to fit the different
thread size. I was intending to buy a couple of face plates but have seen
face plate rings advertised. I have a Supernova chuck and the rings look a
more versatile proposition but are they as strong? I often put some pretty
uneven and unbalanced lumps of wood on the lathe and wonder if the rings may
distort.
Any experiences/opinions would be welcomed. TIA.
Peter

Peter Charles Fagg

Peter, I have used faceplate rings for the past 7 years on my Selbix
chuck. In that time I too have screwed them to very uneven and grossly
out of balance pieces. If there is a problem with them it is only that
they tend to slip round under heavy cutting but it is nothing of any
real concern.

A very good plus side is that I can mount them on several pieces at the
same time which saves time in production situations.

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!

George

"Peter Holt" wrote in message news:42b33523.0@entanet...
Having upgraded my lathe I have to buy new fittings to fit the different
thread size. I was intending to buy a couple of face plates but have seen
face plate rings advertised. I have a Supernova chuck and the rings look

more versatile proposition but are they as strong? I often put some

pretty
uneven and unbalanced lumps of wood on the lathe and wonder if the rings

may
distort.
Any experiences/opinions would be welcomed. TIA.
Peter

Faceplate rings for initial roughing? Ever considered pin chucks or a set
of pin jaws for the Super?

http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/geo...nw?albumlist=2

Or, a guy who takes a bit from both camps.

http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/dvr...nw?albumlist=2

Neat thing about the pin chuck is that, like the rings, the hole stays in
place as the piece dries, offering a great place to begin again.

Andy McArdle

"Peter Holt" wrote in message news:42b33523.0@entanet...
Having upgraded my lathe I have to buy new fittings to fit the different
thread size. I was intending to buy a couple of face plates but have seen
face plate rings advertised. I have a Supernova chuck and the rings look

more versatile proposition but are they as strong? I often put some

pretty
uneven and unbalanced lumps of wood on the lathe and wonder if the rings

may
distort.

I've been looking at trying 'em for some time myself and decided to take one
for a test drive. I borrowed a 75mm Nova ring from a mate and tested it out
on my Supernova2 chuck. (I hope he's not reading this...) Being chicken,
I started relatively small; a 7" length of roughly 8" dia air-dried redgum.
Unbalanced enough to give me problems with a walking lathe when started at
the lowest speed.

After quickly knocking it down a notch or two and roughing it down to safer
proportions I thought I'd try a jam test. I have a sharpened 3/4" rod I use
as a "roughing" scraper, which I'd rather sacrifice than a good HSS tool so
I cowered behind the headstock, brought it up to about 1200 RPM and
literally harpooned the beast. (PS: Don't try this at home, kids!)

To my surprise (and waste of adrenaline) the faceplate stayed secured, the
chuck simply stopped dead. On restarting, the wood was still as centred as
I'd roughed it. The faceplate ring had certainly passed the worse I'll ever
dare to throw at it! I'm impressed! I already have a couple of faceplates,
so have no immediate need, but 'tis definitely on my wish-list.

One downside: I wasn't accurate when harpooning (it's not a skill normally
associated with turning) and it jammed on the very end of my 10" tool-rest,
bending the bugger down some 1/4". Methinks I'll think thrice before trying
that test again, if ever...

- Andy

Peter Holt

My thanks to Peter, George and Andy the spear chucker. It looks as if the
balance of opinion is in favour of the rings so I will give them a go.
BTW Andy. Before your next excursion on the lathe you may pick up some
useful hints by reading Moby Dick first.
Peter

Andy McArdle

"Peter Holt" wrote in message news:42b5e999.0@entanet...
My thanks to Peter, George and Andy the spear chucker. It looks as if the
balance of opinion is in favour of the rings so I will give them a go.
BTW Andy. Before your next excursion on the lathe you may pick up some
useful hints by reading Moby Dick first.
Peter

I don't think I'll be trying that particular test again in a hurry. Even
though I'd planned for the worst and taken precautions, methinks I was lucky
this time.

- Andy

George

"Andy McArdle" wrote in message
u...

"Peter Holt" wrote in message news:42b5e999.0@entanet...
My thanks to Peter, George and Andy the spear chucker. It looks as if

the
balance of opinion is in favour of the rings so I will give them a go.
BTW Andy. Before your next excursion on the lathe you may pick up some
useful hints by reading Moby Dick first.
Peter

I don't think I'll be trying that particular test again in a hurry. Even
though I'd planned for the worst and taken precautions, methinks I was

lucky
this time.

Ed Moulthrop, deceased, used to use a tool he called a "lance" to do most of
his monster works. A giant Oland tool in form. So perhaps your reading
for future attempts would be better spent on Le Morte d'Arthur over the saga
of the Pequod....

Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

[QUOTE[/quote]

One advantage of the faceplate ring over pin jaws is that you will not need to swap jaws after roughing, assuming that your faceplate ring fits the jaws you use for the spigot/recess. This is the way I work and it does save time.
Andy McArdle

Ed Moulthrop, deceased, used to use a tool he called a "lance" to do most
of
his monster works. A giant Oland tool in form. So perhaps your reading
for future attempts would be better spent on Le Morte d'Arthur over the

saga
of the Pequod....

Sometimes I think M.de Sade would be more appropriate.

- Andy

George

"Tony the Turner" wrote in
message ...

[/QUOTE Wrote:

One advantage of the faceplate ring over pin jaws is that you will not
need to swap jaws after roughing, assuming that your faceplate ring
fits the jaws you use for the spigot/recess. This is the way I work
and it does save time.

Saves even more if you have two chucks - gloat,gloat.

Arch

Hi Peter, Rings are less expensive than commercial faceplates, but
consider making or having made several bespoke multiscrewchucks, aka
faceplates . They don't need a scroll chuck and IMO hold better and
are stronger than rings fixed in chuck jaws.

Nuts and the steel plates welded to them are relatively cheap and
readily available. Also junkyard flanged couplings etc. can be drilled
and tapped to fit your lathe.

Trueing the blank or an interposed sacrificial block makes a perfect
faceplate unnecessary, but make sure it registers firmly on the spindle
hub or bearing cage. Just one of many ways to hold a blank.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Tony the Turner" wrote in
message
I have two chucks but prefer to keep the second one for the Cole jaws and
save even more time!

Then consider a recess for a reverse hold, finishing before reversing, and
get those Cole jaws back on the pegboard to gather dust as they're supposed
to do. At 8" or under I tend to stick with the 25mm pin jaws for the
reverse.

I think my Cole jaws get about as much use time as the 45mm serrated long
grabbers do. Not my thing....

Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Smile

As they say, size matters. Most of my bowls/platters are well in excess of 8"
Andy McArdle

Pounding the pulpit in ,
George did expound thusly:

"Tony the Turner" wrote in
message
I have two chucks but prefer to keep the second one for the Cole jaws
and save even more time!

Then consider a recess for a reverse hold, finishing before reversing,
and get those Cole jaws back on the pegboard to gather dust as they're
supposed to do. At 8" or under I tend to stick with the 25mm pin jaws
for the reverse.

I think my Cole jaws get about as much use time as the 45mm serrated long
grabbers do. Not my thing....

I often turn bowls with a smooth or pointed bottom, designed to sit in a
seperate stand. I dislike Cole jaws but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
--
- Andy
"3 Million years? I've still got that library book!" - Lister.

George

"Andy McArdle" wrote in message
u...
I think my Cole jaws get about as much use time as the 45mm serrated

long
grabbers do. Not my thing....

I often turn bowls with a smooth or pointed bottom, designed to sit in a
seperate stand. I dislike Cole jaws but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
--

I've done a few like that. Thought a lot of them, but SWMBO and SWMBette
panned them. Since the feminine gender is the normal purchaser, I just keep

Andy McArdle

Pounding the pulpit in ,
George did expound thusly:

I often turn bowls with a smooth or pointed bottom, designed to sit in a
seperate stand. I dislike Cole jaws but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

I've done a few like that. Thought a lot of them, but SWMBO and SWMBette
panned them. Since the feminine gender is the normal purchaser, I just
keep them on a shelf downstairs.

The cook doesn't normally get much say, as pens are my big mover. To
balance it up, and for similar reasons as yours, she usually does have the
final word in anything household related. Bowls, vases, salt-mills, etc.

Still, if a particularly interesting bit of grain or figuring is obscured by
the foot in what was supposed to a "kitchen bowl" who am I to argue with the
wood gods? They obviously want it to be seen... and I don't particularly
wish to incur their wrath. ;]
--
- Andy
Why is it called a chuck, when that's the *last* thing you want it to do?