Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default DIY anti-face-touching-device

"ARW" wrote in message
On 30/03/2020 09:17, Richard wrote:
On 30/03/2020 08:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
A rare story these days - even has a coronavirus element but still made
me laugh.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus
device

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after inserting
magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace that warns you when
you touch your face
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device

Thanks for that.
I doubt there is anyone who will not laugh at this.

The story reads rather like Gerard Hoffnung's bricks-and-barrel story,
gradually getting worse and worse:

- When he removed the magnets from the outside of his nose, the two inside
stuck together. Unfortunately, the researcher then attempted to use his
remaining magnets to remove them.

- The solution ... was more magnets. [baaad idea]

- As I was pulling downwards to try and remove the magnets, they clipped on
to each other and I lost my grip. And those two magnets ended up in my left
nostril while the other one was in my right. At this point I ran out of
magnets.

- Reardon attempted to use pliers to pull them out, but they became
magnetised by the magnets inside his nose. €śEvery time I brought the pliers
close to my nose, my entire nose would shift towards the pliers and then the
pliers would stick to the magnet€ť.

- The astrophysicist ... had ruled out further experiments with the magnets
and face-touching, and would find other ways to pass the time while at home.
[lesson learned]