Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB reception

We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

DAB is rather varied here despite being in a supposed strong signal
area..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Ours sort of work provided that it isn't raining but they dissolve into
boiling mud at the least provocation. If they have external antenna
sockets you can plug a better aerial in but even then it is crap.

DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

If they will do internet radio over wifi use that otherwise the best
fix is the application of a 2lb hammer or angle grinder if you prefer.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:20:21 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Ours sort of work provided that it isn't raining but they dissolve into
boiling mud at the least provocation. If they have external antenna
sockets you can plug a better aerial in but even then it is crap.

DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

If they will do internet radio over wifi use that otherwise the best
fix is the application of a 2lb hammer or angle grinder if you prefer.

It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are probably deaf and also the aerial is hardly what one might call
suitable unless you are close to the transmitter. They don't like basements
either. I guess you could bodge an aerial onto them if you want to go that
far.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and play
radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't get a
reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both have
lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

We only have one DAB radio and mainly use FM, but we do have twin
satellite/DTV/FM/DAB distributed to each room to quad-plexed plates (for
current and future satellite use). Can you get some co-ax to the clocks
and do they have connections for external aerials?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

I have it in one car. A decent receiver with a decent aerial. It knocks
spots off FM reception wise in London and the SE area. Good luck getting
the others (except FM) in a car.

Oh - good luck getting TDTV, Freesat etc with a bit of wire for an aerial.
And perfect Wi-Fi everywhere in every house too.

--
*Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Yes! Try FM

I was about to suggest the same. The only disadvantage with FM is that
you don't get the ticker telling you what's being played (I have
Classic FM set on the alarm, and I like to know what bit of music I'm
being woken up to).

In terms of a radio with only a bit of wire for an aerial, are you saying
you get perfect FM reception in every room in your house? I don't despite
living in London.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other
can't get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the
bed. Both have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on
the difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Use a raspberry pi or other computer to listen to them on the internet

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

You live in London though where DAB is fine while FM can be a
problem because of illegal transmitters, buildings etc.

Many parts of the country have better FM reception than DAB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find
and play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The
other can't get a reliable signal despite being just the other side
of the bed. Both have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on
the difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Use a raspberry pi or other computer to listen to them on the internet

Better still buy a Roberts Stream94 and avoid ALL the awful Linux
garbage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 11:23, Andrew wrote:
On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find
and play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The
other can't get a reliable signal despite being just the other side
of the bed. Both have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on
the difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Use a raspberry pi or other computer to listen to them on the internet

Better still buy a Roberts Stream94 and avoid ALL the awful Linux
garbage.

And what exactly do you think runs inside a Roberts Stream94?
And the router that connects you to the internet?

and the cost is? -- yes! about 10 raspberry pis.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find
and play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The
other can't get a reliable signal despite being just the other
side of the bed. Both have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire
on the difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Use a raspberry pi or other computer to listen to them on the internet

Better still buy a Roberts Stream94 and avoid ALL the awful Linux
garbage.

And what exactly do you think runs inside a Roberts Stream94?
And the router that connects you to the internet?

That's not generally a problem for the average buyer though,
unlike all the ghastly nonsense required for your 'solution'.

and the cost is? -- yes! about 10 raspberry pis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
[...]

this is a DIY group.

and the cost is? -- yes! about 10 raspberry pis.

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find
and play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The
other can't get a reliable signal despite being just the other side
of the bed. Both have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on
the difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Use a raspberry pi or other computer to listen to them on the internet

Umm.. ignorance on display... I suppose I was vaguely aware that the
Internet carries stuff other than podcasts/U tube etc. but it hadn't
occurred to me that the current awful radio DAB sound reproduction might
be overcome by purchasing a suitable Internet enabled tuner!

Anyone care to make a recommendation for a high street model? I have a
suitable outlet inches away from the kitchen radio site and am not
clever enough to play with a raspberry pi.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:22:05 +0000, Andrew wrote:

It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced

with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now,

it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

You live in London though where DAB is fine while FM can be a
problem because of illegal transmitters, buildings etc.

Many parts of the country have better FM reception than DAB.

Anything (FM) is better than nothing (DAB)...

The car has DAB, the few times I've listened to it there is something
about the quality/procesing that makes it very wearing to listen to.
Can't take more than half an hour or so before having to switch to
something else, which can be the same station on FM that isn't
wearing...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

You live in London though where DAB is fine while FM can be a
problem because of illegal transmitters, buildings etc.

Many parts of the country have better FM reception than DAB.

I'm sure they do. Same as with any form of broadcasting.

But it's not just in London. I have route I use quite often using back
roads to Bognor on the south coast. FM is unusable for quite a chunk of
that - DAB just fine.

My radio will switch from DAB to FM if the signal is bad. Obvious when
this happens, due to the digital delay on DAB. And it doesn't happen
often.

I would say DAB seems far more sensitive to the aerial used, though. Dunno
why.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Umm.. ignorance on display... I suppose I was vaguely aware that the
Internet carries stuff other than podcasts/U tube etc. but it hadn't
occurred to me that the current awful radio DAB sound reproduction might
be overcome by purchasing a suitable Internet enabled tuner!

Anyone care to make a recommendation for a high street model? I have a
suitable outlet inches away from the kitchen radio site and am not
clever enough to play with a raspberry pi.

Are you really saying you can hear the difference in sound quality between
DAB and FM or internet on a kitchen radio?

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
The car has DAB, the few times I've listened to it there is something
about the quality/procesing that makes it very wearing to listen to.
Can't take more than half an hour or so before having to switch to
something else, which can be the same station on FM that isn't
wearing...

Surely being a sound engineer you should be able to 'put a finger' on what
sounds different?

Remember some time ago making up a test with the same bit of R2 from DAB,
FM, Freeview and AM. And asked which was which. The only one most got
right was AM. ;-)

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Umm.. ignorance on display... I suppose I was vaguely aware that the
Internet carries stuff other than podcasts/U tube etc. but it hadn't
occurred to me that the current awful radio DAB sound reproduction might
be overcome by purchasing a suitable Internet enabled tuner!

Anyone care to make a recommendation for a high street model? I have a
suitable outlet inches away from the kitchen radio site and am not
clever enough to play with a raspberry pi.

Are you really saying you can hear the difference in sound quality between
DAB and FM or internet on a kitchen radio?

Roberts RD 21, no longer young, but the *buzz* particularly in male
announcer voice reproduction has been there since DAB came along. FM
reception in deepest Herts. is not good enough to compare.
No current Internet comparison.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Are you really saying you can hear the difference in sound quality between
DAB and FM or internet on a kitchen radio?

Roberts RD 21, no longer young, but the *buzz* particularly in male
announcer voice reproduction has been there since DAB came along. FM
reception in deepest Herts. is not good enough to compare.
No current Internet comparison.

No such difference ever heard here. But then I've never owned a DAB
portable.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

My DAB set suffers from interference from phone chargers and other
assorted generators of RF HASH. You haven't got some sort of wall
wart/laptop charger/wifi extender plugged in near?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 21:20:24 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Ours sort of work provided that it isn't raining but they dissolve into
boiling mud at the least provocation. If they have external antenna
sockets you can plug a better aerial in but even then it is crap.

DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

So how come it works in cars?

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 15:04, David Wade wrote:
On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

My DAB set suffers from interference from phone chargers and other
assorted generators of RF HASH. You haven't got some sort of wall
wart/laptop charger/wifi extender plugged in near?

Dave

No, but there's a phone charger next to the one that works!

Would soldering a length of wire onto the end of the aerial to extend it
help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Ours sort of work provided that it isn't raining but they dissolve into
boiling mud at the least provocation. If they have external antenna
sockets you can plug a better aerial in but even then it is crap.

DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

So how come it works in cars?

The engine noise masks most of its short comings. The only thing that
DAB does better than FM is the silent gaps inbetween programme material.

I get quite a lot of DAB dropout driving on major roads in the North
East so whilst I accept it might work in London and the Home Counties it
is pretty poxy in large areas of the north (but then so are the trains).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 13:17, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I don't find that DAB in the car objectionable apart from the gaps in
signal coverage when driving along minor roads like the A1 and M62.

It might work OK in London and the SE but that is the only place where
it does! FM degrades gracefully whereas DAB is all or nothing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 13:42:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

You live in London though where DAB is fine while FM can be a
problem because of illegal transmitters, buildings etc.

Many parts of the country have better FM reception than DAB.

I'm sure they do. Same as with any form of broadcasting.

But it's not just in London. I have route I use quite often using back
roads to Bognor on the south coast. FM is unusable for quite a chunk of
that - DAB just fine.

My radio will switch from DAB to FM if the signal is bad. Obvious when
this happens, due to the digital delay on DAB. And it doesn't happen
often.

Is it true that Classic delays its FM to try to eliminate this effect?

I would say DAB seems far more sensitive to the aerial used, though. Dunno
why.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:58:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

If you say so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

strange. With DAB in my car I can get reception all the way up the M6

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 22/01/2020 11:17, F wrote:
On 21/01/2020 20:03, tony sayer wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere.? scribeth thus
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find
and play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The
other can't get a reliable signal despite being just the other side
of the bed. Both have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on
the difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

Yes! Try FM

Not every station we listen to is on FM...

Use a raspberry pi or other computer to listen to them on the internet

Better still buy a Roberts Stream94 and avoid ALL the awful Linux
garbage.

The iStream94 is an excellent radio but I think you will find the software
is Linux based- I stumbled across some details of the software when
researching models.

Unlike some of the cheaper Internet Radios, the user interface is very
straight forward and, above all, stable.

I use mine in DAB, Internet Radio, and Media mode - very occasionally in
FM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 21:11:12 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

I don't find that DAB in the car objectionable apart from the gaps

in
signal coverage when driving along minor roads like the A1 and

M62.

It might work OK in London and the SE but that is the only place

where
it does! FM degrades gracefully whereas DAB is all or nothing.

strange. With DAB in my car I can get reception all the way up the M6

Even through the Howgills?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Not strange at all, you just have a better DAB system in your car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:51 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 08:51:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

08:51 in Australia? And you've been up and trolling since 03:16!!! Just what
the **** is wrong with you, you clinically insane cretin? LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 13:49:27 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The car has DAB, the few times I've listened to it there is

something
about the quality/procesing that makes it very wearing to listen

to.
Can't take more than half an hour or so before having to switch to
something else, which can be the same station on FM that isn't
wearing...

Surely being a sound engineer you should be able to 'put a finger' on
what sounds different?

Some sort of higher frequency "edgeiness" and sounding if it's being
driven into a 5:1 compressor fairly hard.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 12:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
am not clever enough to play with a raspberry pi.

Learn?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2020 23:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 13:49:27 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The car has DAB, the few times I've listened to it there is

something
about the quality/procesing that makes it very wearing to listen

to.
Can't take more than half an hour or so before having to switch to
something else, which can be the same station on FM that isn't
wearing...

Surely being a sound engineer you should be able to 'put a finger' on
what sounds different?

Some sort of higher frequency "edgeiness" and sounding if it's being
driven into a 5:1 compressor fairly hard.

yeh. Know what you mean. My Pi based internet radio tuner has the same
on classic FM. Oddly, on Radio 3 it has not.

My guess is they are simply using less/more bandwith.

MP3 streams are not lossless.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

So how come it works in cars?

The engine noise masks most of its short comings. The only thing that
DAB does better than FM is the silent gaps inbetween programme material.

You have the only FM receiver that doesn't suffer from multi-path, then?

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that