Niel A. Farrow

Default dot and dab insulated plaster board on solid wall - ok?

I'd like too drline the walls of my 1850's 9" solid brick wall house,
mainly for cost and convenience. I've looked at the spec on the Kingspan
pages and they mention the dot and dab method for cavity walls but not
solid. For solid walls they describe fixing to a frame.

Is dot and dab on solid brick walls not reccommneded?

Thank you,
Neil
BigWallop

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message

I'd like too drline the walls of my 1850's 9" solid brick wall house,
mainly for cost and convenience. I've looked at the spec on the Kingspan
pages and they mention the dot and dab method for cavity walls but not
solid. For solid walls they describe fixing to a frame.

Is dot and dab on solid brick walls not reccommneded?

Thank you,
Neil

With the dob and stick method you're literally making the plasterboard part
of the wall again, which is not what you want to do if you want to insulate
it. To make any kind of insulation you need a space in between to create an
air gap that holds the heat in. The gap can be filled with material that
helps this happen.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Niel A. Farrow

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message

I'd like too drline the walls of my 1850's 9" solid brick wall house,
mainly for cost and convenience. I've looked at the spec on the Kingspan
pages and they mention the dot and dab method for cavity walls but not
solid. For solid walls they describe fixing to a frame.

Is dot and dab on solid brick walls not reccommneded?

Thank you,
Neil

With the dob and stick method you're literally making the plasterboard part
of the wall again, which is not what you want to do if you want to insulate
it. To make any kind of insulation you need a space in between to create an
air gap that holds the heat in. The gap can be filled with material that
helps this happen.

even for insulated plasterboard? Even for regular plasterboard there will
be a gap with dot and dab, unless you really skimp on the adhesive.
Neil
BigWallop

BigWallop wrote:

[...]

Insulating plasterboard with foam stuck on the backside of it, is not really
suitable for the dob and stick method of fixing, mainly because the foam is
soft and if pressed will eventually loosen and pull off the wall leaving the
foam behind. If you don't believe me, try it.

To insulate properly, you need to leave as even a gap as possible all over
the surface. This is more easily done with timber or aluminium studs
covered with a foil backed plasterboard. If you need to retain even more
heat, then a filler with the correct properties in between the studs and
sealed in with plasterboard to create a sandwich is the most effective way
of doing it.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com