Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB reception

On 22/01/2020 16:40, Jonathan wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 January 2020 21:20:24 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Ours sort of work provided that it isn't raining but they dissolve into
boiling mud at the least provocation. If they have external antenna
sockets you can plug a better aerial in but even then it is crap.

DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

So how come it works in cars?

The engine noise masks most of its short comings. The only thing that
DAB does better than FM is the silent gaps inbetween programme material.

I get quite a lot of DAB dropout driving on major roads in the North
East so whilst I accept it might work in London and the Home Counties it
is pretty poxy in large areas of the north (but then so are the trains).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown