Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default DAB reception

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:20:21 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 21/01/2020 19:34, F wrote:
We have a couple of DAB radio alarm clocks. One of them will find and
play radio channels, albeit with a low signal strength. The other can't
get a reliable signal despite being just the other side of the bed. Both
have lengths of thin wire for aerials.

Ours sort of work provided that it isn't raining but they dissolve into
boiling mud at the least provocation. If they have external antenna
sockets you can plug a better aerial in but even then it is crap.

DAB is dire when played back through a decent hifi even with good
signal. Internet, TDTV, Freesat and even FM leave all it for dust.

Is there anything I can do to get reception? I've moved the wire on the
difficult one up, down, left and right but got nowhere.

If they will do internet radio over wifi use that otherwise the best
fix is the application of a 2lb hammer or angle grinder if you prefer.

It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.