Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default DAB reception

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 13:42:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's not great, is it? I remember when it was first introduced with
'CD quality sound' and bitrate of 192 kbps. Listening to it now, it
sounds like medium wave without the fade or the static.

Comments like that just shows you've no real experience of either.

You live in London though where DAB is fine while FM can be a
problem because of illegal transmitters, buildings etc.

Many parts of the country have better FM reception than DAB.

I'm sure they do. Same as with any form of broadcasting.

But it's not just in London. I have route I use quite often using back
roads to Bognor on the south coast. FM is unusable for quite a chunk of
that - DAB just fine.

My radio will switch from DAB to FM if the signal is bad. Obvious when
this happens, due to the digital delay on DAB. And it doesn't happen
often.

Is it true that Classic delays its FM to try to eliminate this effect?

I would say DAB seems far more sensitive to the aerial used, though. Dunno
why.