Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 light switches in a 2g plate

For some reason this house has a 2g plate with 4 light switches, only 2
of which do anything. Although we've been here for nearly 3 years I
still operate the wrong damn switches. I don't want to mess-up the
decoration (yet) in this part of the house so ... can anyone here point
me at a white 2g plate with only 2 switches? I suppose I could use a
euro plate and a couple of blanks if all else fails, but these look a
little office'y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 December 2019 16:35:25 UTC, wrote:
For some reason this house has a 2g plate with 4 light switches, only 2
of which do anything. Although we've been here for nearly 3 years I
still operate the wrong damn switches

Why don't you wire the left pair as two-way for one light, and the right pair as two-way for the other light?

Or in parallel, so either switch down = light on, both switches up = light off.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Dec 2019 16:35:20 +0000, nothanks wrote:

For some reason this house has a 2g plate with 4 light switches, only 2
of which do anything. Although we've been here for nearly 3 years I
still operate the wrong damn switches. I don't want to mess-up the
decoration (yet) in this part of the house so ... can anyone here point
me at a white 2g plate with only 2 switches? I suppose I could use a
euro plate and a couple of blanks if all else fails, but these look a
little office'y

You don't say if this is surface mount or not. If it is, a bit of a
lateral solution is an MK K2025 (twin surface box) with two single
plateswitches (or one dual plateswitch and a blanking plate).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 December 2019 16:35:25 UTC, wrote:
For some reason this house has a 2g plate with 4 light switches, only 2
of which do anything. Although we've been here for nearly 3 years I
still operate the wrong damn switches. I don't want to mess-up the
decoration (yet) in this part of the house so ... can anyone here point
me at a white 2g plate with only 2 switches? I suppose I could use a
euro plate and a couple of blanks if all else fails, but these look a
little office'y

You're missing an opportunity. For each light, use one switch for on/off, the other for full/dim. Just need a capacitor.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The question is why is it there to start with. I'm sure you have looked
inside, but I've seen some terrible things done, like whole lighting
circuits buried in plaster but still live etc.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
For some reason this house has a 2g plate with 4 light switches, only 2 of
which do anything. Although we've been here for nearly 3 years I still
operate the wrong damn switches. I don't want to mess-up the decoration
(yet) in this part of the house so ... can anyone here point me at a white
2g plate with only 2 switches? I suppose I could use a euro plate and a
couple of blanks if all else fails, but these look a little office'y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The question is why is it there to start with. I'm sure you have looked
inside, but I've seen some terrible things done, like whole lighting
circuits buried in plaster but still live etc.
Brian

There's been no shortage of electrical surprises in this house, but this
isn't one of them. I think the light in the entrance lobby and the
outside light were once controlled by the unused switches, but these are
now on PIRs from some (currently unknown) source. I'll sort it out when
I get to that part of the house, which won't be for a while.