Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asda microwave

What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article irect.com,
says...
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

It's a clock symbol, so you must have accidently set the timer. You
need to clear the timer setting to return to instant operation.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jac m wrote

What is this red sign

Its saying that it will explode in one hour and 3 mins.

and how do I get it off

Use the largest hammer you can find or an angle grinder.

as the microwave is not heating now

Thats because it is saving the energy to explode with.

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

Might help if you listed the model number or had a
photo of the metal plate near where the cord goes in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 10:15:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

....and nothing's left!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jac m Wrote in
message:
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

Have you tried unplugging it for a few seconds? Microwaves
generally forget everything when power cycled.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a great shame nobody has unplugged Home Owners club Usenet interface,
and cut the plug off.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message
Jac m Wrote in
message:
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not
heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

Have you tried unplugging it for a few seconds? Microwaves
generally forget everything when power cycled.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2019 23:05, The Other John wrote:
In article irect.com,
says...
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

It's a clock symbol, so you must have accidently set the timer. You
need to clear the timer setting to return to instant operation.

There's a Clock button. Try pressing that, and if that doesn't do
anything, press and hold it until the symbol goes off.

(I'm glad I have a simple microwave with just two knobs: one for power
(which is always on maximum) and one for time. I don't know whether
there's much point in the complicated ones, though it might be useful to
have a programmable standing period, or even heat-stand-heat: though
usually I like to stir it before the second heat.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found on
the internet as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:22:11 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
(I'm glad I have a simple microwave with just two knobs: one for power
(which is always on maximum) and one for time.

I had one of those, but it's not foolproof.

At one point the timer knob started winding up under its own power, instead of running down.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40:36 UTC, John wrote:
All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found on
the internet as well.

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't even use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them. Daewoo has not been a good UI experience either, but at least usable after some experimenting.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/11/2019 23:05, The Other John wrote:
In article irect.com,
says...
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not
heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

It's a clock symbol, so you must have accidently set the timer. You
need to clear the timer setting to return to instant operation.

There's a Clock button. Try pressing that, and if that doesn't do
anything, press and hold it until the symbol goes off.

(I'm glad I have a simple microwave with just two knobs: one for power
(which is always on maximum) and one for time. I don't know whether
there's much point in the complicated ones,

I know there is. Its a nuisance to do rice in a microwave
like that. Much more convenient to do it in a microwave
that has more than one power and time program.

though it might be useful to have a programmable standing period, or even
heat-stand-heat: though usually I like to stir it before the second heat.)

I dont need to with most stuff I microwave,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 15:30:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

(I'm glad I have a simple microwave with just two knobs: one for power
(which is always on maximum) and one for time. I don't know whether
there's much point in the complicated ones,

I know there is. It¢s a nuisance to do rice in a microwave

It could never be as much of a nuisance as you are, you auto-contradicting
senile pest!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other John" wrote in message
In article irect.com,
says...
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not
heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

It's a clock symbol, so you must have accidently set the timer. You
need to clear the timer setting to return to instant operation.

in what way does:

"did you turn it on and off again", not work here?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

perhaps I am now in a tiny minority, but I still like to have salt *in* my
cooked veg (I tried stopping, but the result is inedible)

It is impossible IME, to gauge how much salt to put into the dish when
cooking with the tiny amounts of water required for microwave preparation of
such.

So I still boil all veg in a pan on the hob, where the tolerance for
over/under salting is huge

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 November 2019 09:53:56 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40:36 UTC, John wrote:

All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found on
the internet as well.

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't even
use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them. Daewoo has not
been a good UI experience either, but at least usable after some
experimenting.

Mine is a Daewoo two knob job. Cost £39.99 3.5 years ago - still going
strong.

Yup

All I ever use mine for is heating up pre-cooked stuff and making "baked"
potatoes

Any other "cooking" returns unsatisfactory results IMHO

KISS

tim

you're missing out. Despite the poor rep they currently have (among people more influenced by fashion than anything of substance) they cook some things much better than other methods, eg caraway carrots.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 09:54, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40:36 UTC, JohnÂ* wrote:
All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be
found on
the internet as well.

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't
even use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them.
Daewoo has not been a good UI experience either, but at least usable
after some experimenting.

Mine is a Daewoo two knob job. Cost £39.99 3.5 years ago - still going
strong.

Yup

All I ever use mine for is heating up pre-cooked stuff and making
"baked" potatoes

Any other "cooking" returns unsatisfactory results IMHO

Blimey.
Poppadums. 1 minute full power, Perfect.

Rice. Simmer for 12 minutres at 2:1 eater to rice ratio by volume. Perfect

Baked potato. 3 minutes in microwave then 10 minutes in AGA oven. Perfect.

Ditto sausages.

Scrambled eggs. About 5 mins full power pause to stir half way.
Bacon. Full power 3 minutes

Almost any veg: teaspoon of water, cover with cling film 10 minutes full
power.

Boiled eggs: use microwave egg boiler. Full power 5.7 minutes

Pork scratchings - remove half baked pork rind and nuke for 5 minutes
full power. better than any oven.

Steamed puddings. 5 minutes full power.

In short anything steamed or with water in it that you dont want a brown
outside in is perfect, and if you do want a brown outside bung it in a
very hot oven afterwards for a bit.

I've even use it to emergency cook oven roasts that have not quite done
in the oven

KISS

tim

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

I don't even know what caraway carrots are

but back to the substantial point

I find that I don't like the way that they differently cook, all of those
things that people claim that they cook better (potatoes excepted)

for me you can replace better with "worse"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 09:54, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40:36 UTC, John wrote:
All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found
on
the internet as well.

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't
even use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them. Daewoo
has not been a good UI experience either, but at least usable after
some experimenting.

Mine is a Daewoo two knob job. Cost £39.99 3.5 years ago - still going
strong.

Yup

All I ever use mine for is heating up pre-cooked stuff and making "baked"
potatoes

Any other "cooking" returns unsatisfactory results IMHO

Blimey.
Poppadums. 1 minute full power, Perfect.

never eat them

Rice. Simmer for 12 minutres at 2:1 eater to rice ratio by volume. Perfect

see my other comment about getting the saltiness correct

Baked potato. 3 minutes in microwave then 10 minutes in AGA oven. Perfect.

Ditto sausages.

I grill mine

Scrambled eggs. About 5 mins full power pause to stir half way.

Just as easy to cook on the hob

Bacon. Full power 3 minutes

absolutely not - comes out rubbery

Almost any veg: teaspoon of water, cover with cling film 10 minutes full
power.

see comment about saltiness

Boiled eggs: use microwave egg boiler. Full power 5.7 minutes

or 4 minutes on the hob - what the point?

Pork scratchings - remove half baked pork rind and nuke for 5 minutes full
power. better than any oven.

OMG

you make, as a separate item, pork scratching?

(FWIW I don't really like them - crunchy skin on the outside of the roast
OK, but rock hard scratchings - not!)

Steamed puddings. 5 minutes full power.

Why would I even be starting with a steamed pudding that didn't fall into
the category of "pre cooked food"?

In short anything steamed or with water in it that you dont want a brown
outside in is perfect,

and that doesn't need to have salt added during cooking

which IME for veggies is virtually nothing at all

and if you do want a brown outside bung it in a very hot oven afterwards
for a bit.

but I can achieve the same effect by cooking under the grill for the same
length of time (and don't waste time/money heating up a whole oven first)

I've even use it to emergency cook oven roasts that have not quite done in
the oven

I know that you can do this

IME the end result is so crap it is fit for nowhere other than the dustbin

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 11:23, tim... wrote:

On 30/11/2019 09:54, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
[...]

same salt goes in as wehn boiling

Baked potato. 3 minutes in microwave then 10 minutes in AGA oven.
Perfect.

Ditto sausages.

I grill mine

Scrambled eggs. About 5 mins full power pause to stir half way.

Just as easy to cook on the hob

Bacon. Full power 3 minutes

absolutely not - comes out rubbery

Almost any veg: teaspoon of water, cover with cling film 10 minutes
full power.

see comment about saltiness

just learn

Boiled eggs: use microwave egg boiler. Full power 5.7 minutes

or 4 minutes on the hob - what the point?

less fuss

Pork scratchings - remove half baked pork rind and nuke for 5 minutes
full power. better than any oven.

OMG

you make, as a separate item, pork scratching?

(FWIW I don't really like them - crunchy skin on the outside of the
roast OK, but rock hard scratchings - not!)

when microwaved they are not roick hard, they are melt in the mouth

Because you are not a TOTAL ****?

In short anything steamed or with water in it that you dont want a
brown outside in is perfect,

and that doesn't need to have salt added during cooking

Just add less.

which IME for veggies is virtually nothing at all

and if you do want a brown outside bung it in a very hot oven
afterwards for a bit.

but I can achieve the same effect by cooking under the grill for the
same length of time (and don't waste time/money heating up a whole oven
first)

I've even use it to emergency cook oven roasts that have not quite
done in the oven

I know that you can do this

IME the end result is so crap it is fit for nowhere other than the dustbin

tim

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 11:23, tim... wrote:

On 30/11/2019 09:54, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
[...]

no

I put a "handful" of salt in when boiling because I don't boil away all the
water

in the microwave you have to put in a tiny pinch and if you get it wrong the
result is far too salty

Baked potato. 3 minutes in microwave then 10 minutes in AGA oven.
Perfect.

Ditto sausages.

I grill mine

Scrambled eggs. About 5 mins full power pause to stir half way.

Just as easy to cook on the hob

Bacon. Full power 3 minutes

absolutely not - comes out rubbery

Almost any veg: teaspoon of water, cover with cling film 10 minutes full
power.

see comment about saltiness

just learn

after having to throw away 15 portions in the process

no thanks

Boiled eggs: use microwave egg boiler. Full power 5.7 minutes

or 4 minutes on the hob - what the point?

less fuss

no it's not

Pork scratchings - remove half baked pork rind and nuke for 5 minutes
full power. better than any oven.

OMG

you make, as a separate item, pork scratching?

(FWIW I don't really like them - crunchy skin on the outside of the roast
OK, but rock hard scratchings - not!)

when microwaved they are not roick hard, they are melt in the mouth

Steamed puddings. 5 minutes full power.

Why would I even be starting with a steamed pudding that didn't fall into
the category of "pre cooked food"?

Because you are not a TOTAL ****?

Now now

I'm lazy

I don't make baked products from scratch

I simply don't have a cupboard full of the the raw materials

I think you find I am in the majority

In short anything steamed or with water in it that you dont want a brown
outside in is perfect,

and that doesn't need to have salt added during cooking

Just add less.

point is that the tolerance is far smaller

a little pinch is often far too much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 11:12, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, 30 November 2019 09:53:56 UTC, tim...Â* wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's like a Camberwell carrot.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 10:00, tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/11/2019 23:05, The Other John wrote:
In article
irect.com,
says...
What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is
not heating
now
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/kq

It's a clock symbol, so you must have accidently set the timer.Â* You
need to clear the timer setting to return to instant operation.

There's a Clock button. Try pressing that, and if that doesn't do
anything, press and hold it until the symbol goes off.

(I'm glad I have a simple microwave with just two knobs: one for
power (which is always on maximum) and one for time. I don't know
whether there's much point in the complicated ones,

I know there is. Its a nuisance to do rice in a microwave
like that. Much more convenient to do it in a microwave
that has more than one power and time program.

perhaps I am now in a tiny minority, but I still like to have salt *in*
my cooked veg (I tried stopping, but the result is inedible)

For 'solid' veg adding it at the table involves much less salt as it
hits your taste buds as soon as you put it in your mouth (if you care
about your salt intake). If you steam veg you can't add it during
cooking as salt isn't soluble in steam. ;-

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yeah, likely you are.

but I still like to have salt *in* my cooked veg

I dont add salt to anything anymore,
not even steak and chops etc.

(I tried stopping, but the result is inedible)

It does take quite a while to adjust, you keep
thinking it need salt but its never inedible imo.

And at one time I added salt to coffee for the same
reason you add salt to food, to bring out the flavours.

It is impossible IME, to gauge how much salt to put into the dish when
cooking with the tiny amounts of water required for microwave preparation
of such.

I never did add salt to veg. Just to stuff like steaks and
chops and stuff like that.

So I still boil all veg in a pan on the hob,

I havent done veg like that since I was a kid.

I used to do rice like that but its far too prone to
boil over and always do it in the microwave now.
You do need to spend some time getting the
amount of water and temp and time right, but
once you do that its perfect every time if you
weigh the rice and water. But you do need a
multi program microwave because the initial
temp and time is to get the water boiling and
then its a lower power for much longer to finish.

where the tolerance for over/under salting is huge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

Thats made with all of frozen veg, rice, the equivalent of boiled
potatoes,,
quite apart from the other stuff like hot milk which is much harder on the
stove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 06:16:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s bull****

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane senile pest?

Makes a lot more sense to do the rice in a microwave

It would make even more sense if you swallowed your Nembutal finally, you
useless trolling senile pest!

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 06:24:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

Are you quarrelling about microwaves now, you clinically insane senile
cretin? LOL

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

On 30/11/2019 09:54, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
[...]

Thats bull**** with the ones that arent quite done in the oven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/11/2019 09:54, tim... wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40:36 UTC, John wrote:
All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found
on
the internet as well.

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't
even use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them. Daewoo
has not been a good UI experience either, but at least usable after
some experimenting.

Mine is a Daewoo two knob job. Cost £39.99 3.5 years ago - still going
strong.

Yup

All I ever use mine for is heating up pre-cooked stuff and making "baked"
potatoes

Any other "cooking" returns unsatisfactory results IMHO

Scrambled egg is also good in a microwave as an alternative to using a
saucepan on the hob. Beat the egg in a Pyrex basin; add milk and salt to
taste; stick in the microwave set to about two minutes; take out every 15
seconds or so and stir with a wooden spoon until the desired consistency.

Why is that any better than in a frypan ?

Frozen peas are also quite good in a microwave container with a clip on
lid

I use a glass cup with no lid, works fine.
Easier to tip it into the sieve using the handle
on the cup, its never too hot to hold.

cooked according to the packet instructions

I just check that its noisy when taking it out of the microwave
and since its a glass cup it always has the same amount of
peas so all you have to remember is the time to get it to do that.

if you don't want to use a steamer.

Yeah the microwave is so much more convenient
and much easier to put the cup in the dishwasher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 30/11/2019 10:00, tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

but it's not the same

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 06:46:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't even know what caraway carrots are

but back to the substantial point

I find that I don't like the way that they differently cook, all of those
things that people claim that they cook better (potatoes excepted)

for me you can replace better with "worse"

That¢s made with all of frozen veg, rice, the equivalent of boiled
potatoes,,
quite apart from the other stuff like hot milk which is much harder on the
stove.

Now ALSO an expert in carrots and other vegetables, senile Ozzie pest? LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 06:50:08 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

What are you NOW smartassing about again, senile bull**** artist?

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 08:05:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah the microwave is so much more convenient
and much easier to put the cup in the dishwasher.

I'd like to microwave your senile brain, senile bigmouth!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

what you you mean "not even"

these are things that I would never add salt to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/11/2019 20:06, wrote:
On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40:36 UTC, John wrote:
All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found
on
the internet as well.

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't
even use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them. Daewoo
has not been a good UI experience either, but at least usable after
some experimenting.

Mine is a Daewoo two knob job. Cost £39.99 3.5 years ago - still going
strong.

Yup

All I ever use mine for is heating up pre-cooked stuff and making
"baked" potatoes

Any other "cooking" returns unsatisfactory results IMHO

Thats bull**** with zapping frozen peas and corn beans etc,
doing rice,

you happen to like the end result

I do not

Your problem and a problem for you heath.

No big deal that you will die sooner.

heating cups of water for tea bags or instant coffee,

well I don't partake of these items, but this is harder than using a
kettle

Bull**** its harder. Just the cup involved when
you have the microwave for other stuff. No
wasted water heated unnecessarily.

(for zero benefit)

Thats a lie too.

making gravy, doing ready meals

as before

Not with the gravy.

how is this not "heating up pre-cooked food"

Not all of it is pre cooked.

getting the lids off stuff where the lids are too tight with stuff that
is vacuum sealed.

where I come from the sot of lid that you can't get off is of the twist
variety

Here too. Heating it in the microwave reduces
the vacuum and makes the lid easier to get off.

I can't imagine that the results of microwaving it get it off is going to
be anything other than a disaster

You could get real radical and try it and find that it isnt.