Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Daylight' LED lights

Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 14:40:12 UTC, R D S wrote:
Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Well that explains it.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?

Recreating daylight isn't easy from LED's especailly at a good price.

It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

Probabily although that won;t change the spectrum of cheap LED's or even expensive ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 14:40, R D S wrote:
Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

What was the specified colour temperature? (6000 K is like sunlight.)
Note that they can't simulate sunlight exactly as that requires a more
or less continuous spectrum through the visible range. LEDs tend to have
a lumpy spectrum that lacks the violet.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 14:56, Max Demian wrote:

What was the specified colour temperature? (6000 K is like sunlight.)
Note that they can't simulate sunlight exactly as that requires a more
or less continuous spectrum through the visible range. LEDs tend to have
a lumpy spectrum that lacks the violet.

The specified temp was 6000-6500k.
I should have bought just the one for testing, but they were almost half
price bought in a pack of 10, I wondered how much it would matter but
they are bloody awful.

I have a panel in the kitchen at home which switches between 3
temperatures. One end is yellow, the other looks like an operating
theatre but the inbetween one is great.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 14:40, R D S wrote:

Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

That does not always bode well :-)

White LEDs are a hybrid of a blue LED, plus a florescent coating to turn
that into white light.

Poor quality phosphors tend to emit a fairly "spikey" white with lots of
spectral gaps, and a fair amount of the LED's blue bleeding though.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

Good quality daylight can look fine - so long as its bright enough. The
eye is attuned to daylight "colour" light at high intensities - making
it feel bright and sunny. At lower levels it just feels cold and blue.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 15:08, R D S wrote:
On 21/11/2019 14:56, Max Demian wrote:

What was the specified colour temperature? (6000 K is like sunlight.)
Note that they can't simulate sunlight exactly as that requires a more
or less continuous spectrum through the visible range. LEDs tend to
have a lumpy spectrum that lacks the violet.

The specified temp was 6000-6500k.

That is very 'daylight'

Warm is 3500-4500. I like it somewhere in the 5000 range for work

I should have bought just the one for testing, but they were almost half
price bought in a pack of 10, I wondered how much it would matter but
they are bloody awful.

I have a panel in the kitchen at home which switches between 3
temperatures. One end is yellow, the other looks like an operating
theatre but the inbetween one is great.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:40:06 +0000, R D S wrote:

Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

The shouldn't be blue - I've quite a few 6000 - 6500K and sometimes forget
to switch one of in daylight because it makes no difference to the perceived
colour.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 14:40, R D S wrote:
Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

No. Chuck 'em int' dustbin. They're neither use nor ornament. Blue
lights put cobs on me.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 15:08, R D S wrote:
On 21/11/2019 14:56, Max Demian wrote:

What was the specified colour temperature? (6000 K is like sunlight.)
Note that they can't simulate sunlight exactly as that requires a more
or less continuous spectrum through the visible range. LEDs tend to
have a lumpy spectrum that lacks the violet.

The specified temp was 6000-6500k.
I should have bought just the one for testing, but they were almost half
price bought in a pack of 10, I wondered how much it would matter but
they are bloody awful.

I have a panel in the kitchen at home which switches between 3
temperatures. One end is yellow, the other looks like an operating
theatre but the inbetween one is great.

You could probably find a pale orange glass paint to tone them down a
bit. Basically 6000K looks blue when compared to ordinary incandescents.

I prefer warm myself as it mimics conventional incandescent bulbs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 14:40, R D S wrote:

It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

Why don't you try one in a room that has mainly a white wall/ceiling to
see if your paint job causing the main problem?

Some so called daylight have a large blue output while the better ones
still have this output but balance this with a similar output throughout
the rest of the spectrum (but skewed towards blue).

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may actually find one in the ones you have that is less blue. Apparently
these cheap ones can be very variable. I agree some glass stain paint as
used by theatrical folk to colour things could be an answer but it would
probably be less efficient and might look a bit streaky!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 21/11/2019 15:08, R D S wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/11/2019 14:40, R D S wrote:
Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor.

What lamps/fittings are they?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/11/2019 15:08, R D S wrote:
On 21/11/2019 14:56, Max Demian wrote:

What was the specified colour temperature? (6000 K is like sunlight.)
Note that they can't simulate sunlight exactly as that requires a
more or less continuous spectrum through the visible range. LEDs tend
to have a lumpy spectrum that lacks the violet.

The specified temp was 6000-6500k.

That is very 'daylight'

Warm is 3500-4500. I like it somewhere in the 5000 range for work

I would consider anything above 4000k to be cool white and 6000k for
daylight.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No surprise there. Daylight looks great at daylight light levels, but horrid at indoor lighting levels.

What can you do about it? Relegate the things to cupboards, garage etc. Or sell them to some dodgy geezer in the pub for growing parsley. If you must use them for some odd reason, try a yellow, orange or pink reflector or shade. You will of course lose some light output. Adding a warm white bulb would also help a fair bit.

If you're determined to experiment, you might find that mounting other lighting LEDs on top of the ones in the bulb produces a second stage of fluorescence, converting some of the excess blue into red/yellow/green & thus improving the light colour.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 17:37:35 UTC, PeterC wrote:
[...]

That could be because the daylight bilb isn't bright enough to matter and it;s contributing little to the ambient light level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?

The 'colour' of daylight varies by time of day, time of year, and where in
the world you measure it.

And pretty well no artificial light gives you the entire spectrum of
colours that daylight consists of. And the cheaper they are, generally the
worse at doing this.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 November 2019 00:22:43 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 21/11/2019 20:02, tabbypurr wrote:

No surprise there. Daylight looks great at daylight light levels, but horrid at indoor lighting levels.

It's down to personal preference. I find that I prefer cool
white/daylight and warm white looks dull and very artificial.

Possibly as I'm getting older the higher contrast cool white seems to
give suits my eyesight. I find it easier to work and read with
cool/daylight LED lighting.

Sell them to this guy. Very few people like daylight bulbs. They're sometimes used for artwork.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 22 November 2019 00:22:43 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 21/11/2019 20:02, tabbypurr wrote:

No surprise there. Daylight looks great at daylight light levels,
but horrid at indoor lighting levels.

It's down to personal preference. I find that I prefer cool
white/daylight and warm white looks dull and very artificial.

Possibly as I'm getting older the higher contrast cool white seems to
give suits my eyesight. I find it easier to work and read with
cool/daylight LED lighting.

Sell them to this guy. Very few people like daylight bulbs. They're
sometimes used for artwork.

True colour matching northlight is popular in places where accurate colour
matching is needed. Generally work places of some sort.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 22 November 2019 00:22:43 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 21/11/2019 20:02, tabbypurr wrote:

No surprise there. Daylight looks great at daylight light levels,
but horrid at indoor lighting levels.

It's down to personal preference. I find that I prefer cool
white/daylight and warm white looks dull and very artificial.

Possibly as I'm getting older the higher contrast cool white seems to
give suits my eyesight. I find it easier to work and read with
cool/daylight LED lighting.

Sell them to this guy. Very few people like daylight bulbs. They're
sometimes used for artwork.

True colour matching northlight is popular in places where accurate colour
matching is needed. Generally work places of some sort.

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 02:45:23 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

It's in an Anglepoise-type thing and a GU10 lamp, so the intensity is pretty
good. As dawn breaks and the light increases I sometimes don't really notice
and eventually they merge. Switching off is very noticeable in intensity but
not in quality, just a small change.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
sometimes forget
to switch one of in daylight because it makes no difference to the
perceived
colour.

That could be because the daylight bilb isn't bright enough to matter
and it;s contributing little to the ambient light level.

It's in an Anglepoise-type thing and a GU10 lamp, so the intensity is
pretty
good. As dawn breaks and the light increases I sometimes don't really
notice
and eventually they merge. Switching off is very noticeable in intensity
but
not in quality, just a small change.

At my last house, my study was lit by a 150W-equivalent (25W, I think) CFL
bulb - overhead pendant with a shade.

I sometimes forgot whether the bulb was on or off, because it matched the
daylight coming in through the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2019 16:53, Andrew wrote:

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.

All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 November 2019 16:54:30 UTC, Andrew wrote:

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.

wouldn't surprise me at all. That's why most fruit nets are coloured as they are.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous spectrum
lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like not being able
to see things at home.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2019 18:35, alan_m wrote:
On 22/11/2019 16:53, Andrew wrote:

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.

All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

But that is what the 'sell by' date if for !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous spectrum
lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like not being able
to see things at home.

That's why you need daylight type bulbs at home. Supermarkets use
different colour temperature lights not to give you true information
about their products but to disguise anything that may look unappetising
or a bit dodgy.

I do appreciate that those who not do want to see the dust/dirt and
perhaps have a poor hygiene cleaning regime in their homes will always
opt for the more traditional artificial warm white lighting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2019 12:45, Andrew wrote:
On 22/11/2019 18:35, alan_m wrote:
On 22/11/2019 16:53, Andrew wrote:

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.

All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes
you cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the
lighting in other parts of the store.

But that is what the 'sell by' date if for !

Obviously you don't buy much fresh fruit and vegetables in supermarkets.
Sell by dates mean nothing when storage and transporting often have more
of an impact on the quality of "fresh" items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2019 14:21, alan_m wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* alan_m wrote:
All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous spectrum
lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like not being
able
to see things at home.

That's why you need daylight type bulbs at home.

Daylight bulbs are not continuous spectrum. As well as temperature some
bulbs also report colour rendering index.

It is also worth noting that the actual sections of the spectrum our
eyes detect differs for different people. So when bulbs produce a patchy
spectrum, what work well for one person may not work well for another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
That's why you need daylight type bulbs at home.

Daylight bulbs are not continuous spectrum. As well as temperature some
bulbs also report colour rendering index.

Quite. To differentiate between colours, you need continuous spectrum
lighting. The colour temperature is less important than that, as your
'eyes' compensate to some extent.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous spectrum
lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like not being able
to see things at home.

Doesn’t have to be continuous spectrum. The Philips Hue white ambiance
works fine for being able to see if the green grapes are over ripe.

Not cheap but Amazon keeps doing very good discounts
and the competitors with a clue match those.

Main problem is that it isnt cheap with those stupid chandelier
lights and there isnt currently any flat panel lights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:23:29 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous

Doesn¢t have to be continuous spectrum. The Philips Hue

I believe I told you already, you can shove your Philips Hue up your senile
troll's arse, senile trolling arsehole!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2019 12:45, Andrew wrote:
On 22/11/2019 18:35, alan_m wrote:
On 22/11/2019 16:53, Andrew wrote:

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.

All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes
you cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the
lighting in other parts of the store.

But that is what the 'sell by' date if for !

It's a long time since they used them. (I thought they were "display
until" not "sell by".) Now there are "best before" and "use by" dates,
the latter for perishables that could be dangerous to eat when expired.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 22/11/2019 16:53, Andrew wrote:

My local Sainsburys uses fluorescent tubes that seem to have a
distinct yellow-coloured sleeving, over the banana display.

Maybe they are trying alter how green bananas are perceived by
the public.

All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Slightly apropos:

We painted our walls in 'Calico' #e3ba93 (it looks a
lot lighter on the walls.) When we installed CFLs it
looked like baby ****. Fortunately, I had laid in a
stock of Chinese incandescent lamps before they became
illegal.

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon doesn't care about the fnords anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ray wrote:
Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous
spectrum lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like
not being able to see things at home.

Doesn’t have to be continuous spectrum. The Philips Hue white ambiance
works fine for being able to see if the green grapes are over ripe.

Green isn't the only colour in the spectrum.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2019 12:56:08, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ray wrote:
Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous
spectrum lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like
not being able to see things at home.

Doesnt have to be continuous spectrum. The Philips Hue white ambiance
works fine for being able to see if the green grapes are over ripe.

Green isn't the only colour in the spectrum.

Nor is it the only colour in a discontinuous spectrum. What's your point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* alan_m wrote:
All large supermarkets will use different colour temperature light
fittings over the fruit and fresh meat counters. With (green) grapes you
cannot see the over-ripe ones until you view them under the lighting in
other parts of the store.

Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous spectrum
lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like not being
able
to see things at home.

That's why you need daylight type bulbs at home. Supermarkets use
different colour temperature lights not to give you true information
about their products but to disguise anything that may look unappetising
or a bit dodgy.

The closest to a full spectrum daylight bulb you will get for home use
is a LV halogen. Anything that relies on phosphor or gas discharge will
by its very nature be discontinuous.

I do appreciate that those who not do want to see the dust/dirt and
perhaps have a poor hygiene cleaning regime in their homes will always
opt for the more traditional artificial warm white lighting.

Hmm, a mixture of flawed logic, and passive aggressive innuendo all in one!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray wrote:
Which does rather show the importance of using decent continuous
spectrum lighting of the correct colour temperature. Unless you like
not being able to see things at home.

Doesn‘t have to be continuous spectrum. The Philips Hue white ambiance
works fine for being able to see if the green grapes are over ripe.

Green isn't the only colour in the spectrum.

Nor is it the only colour in a discontinuous spectrum. What's your point?

The one I made and you've quoted at the top of this post. Which bit didn't
you understand?

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

LED "Daylight" bulbs EricP UK diy 35 May 4th 15 09:04 PM
Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 christmaslightinginstall.blogs… — Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 We sale christmas lights and install them for you, house lights, holiday lights, trees lights, christmas lights Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 24th 08 07:02 PM
Lights Lights Christmas Lights Installation Los Angeles, BeverlyHills, Santa Monica, Culver City, Marina Del Rey, Calabasas, Agoura HillsThousand Oaks Holiday Lights Installation 1-310-925-1720 Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 15th 08 02:25 AM
selling led lighting such as led christmas light,led decorative light,led house lamp led lighting UK diy 0 February 6th 07 06:45 AM
LED,LED Lamp,LED Lights,LED Display,Automotive Lamp,LED Chip,LED Module [email protected] Electronics 0 December 4th 05 11:08 AM