Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Daylight' LED lights

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 14:40:12 UTC, R D S wrote:

Does daylight mean blue, or are these lights not right?
I didn't want warm ones as they look beige.
Problem is I got 10 of them on ebay, as they were a good price.

Anyway, i've put one up in my office at work and I feel like i'm, in a
fishtank, I know things aren't nearly right as after a couple of hours
up there I went downstairs where we have some orange clipboards and they
appeared to be glowing.

I wonder if they can they be toned down at all?
I need more than one light so if I fitted a warm one adjacent, would I
get something more natural overall?
It probably doesn't help that the room is painted lilac, that's going to
change, I wonder if I could improve matters with a different colour decor..

The specified temp was 6000-6500k.
I should have bought just the one for testing, but they were almost half
price bought in a pack of 10, I wondered how much it would matter but
they are bloody awful.

No surprise there. Daylight looks great at daylight light levels, but horrid at indoor lighting levels.

What can you do about it? Relegate the things to cupboards, garage etc. Or sell them to some dodgy geezer in the pub for growing parsley. If you must use them for some odd reason, try a yellow, orange or pink reflector or shade. You will of course lose some light output. Adding a warm white bulb would also help a fair bit.

If you're determined to experiment, you might find that mounting other lighting LEDs on top of the ones in the bulb produces a second stage of fluorescence, converting some of the excess blue into red/yellow/green & thus improving the light colour.

NT