Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing the wiring of a phone socket

A friend's new puppy bit through a telephone cable, and she doesn't have
a dialling tone any more, and the house phone doesn't work. She asked me
to have a look, so am planning to drop by tomorrow to see what I can do.

She sent me a few (pretty poor quality) photos, see he
https://imgur.com/a/cPQT0cJ

A few questions:

- There seem to be two cables entering the socket, one of them cut off.
Can I assume that the one coming from "the outside" is the one that is
cut off, and the other goes to an extension? I'll have a closer look
tomorrow of course.
- I am familiar with BT sockets, but hers is an NTL (now Virgin Media I
believe) one - she is on cable. Are they the same? (in terms of the wiring)
- There seem to be 3 wires connected within the socket. Is this because
the only cable left connected is the one going to an extension? (as in
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm)

Any tips will be much appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2019 21:53, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

I think the third wire is a bell wire, causes phones to ring, which
isn't used my modern phones and hence isn't necessary.

Why doesn't she just splice the wire that got chewed through, the blue
and white pair.

Caution - I have no idea what I'm talking about. Well not much but I
think it is enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You are correct about the purpose of the two cables.
The socket is an NTE5 and is (or perhaps was) also used by BT
Openreach.

If you remove the two screws you can pull off the lower faceplate
complete with the extension wiring.
You will then see two more screws, undo these and the rest of the
socket can be removed from the back-box. at the rear you will see two
screw terminals marked A and B, note the colours of the wires, discard
the stump, and rejoin the cut cable.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed that is what they did here when I needed it to be moved. In those
days I could see. Even if you don't understand it and you need to do a join,
any old cheap terminal block with the right number of connections will do.
Just strip the wires and join the same colours together. Phones are very
simple things and the highest voltage you can get on them might give you a
tingle but often the static shock you get from a car door is far worse in
my experience.
Might not look so pretty, but until the puppy is over the wire eating
stage, its probably cheaper. A word of waning. If the puppy is a chewer of
wires, for goodness sake keep it away from mains cables especially live
ones!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Good video here that explains everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yw494T7ZYY

To join wires you ought to use a gel crimp - the video explains these.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant Wrote in message:
[...]

Yes, but the break is so close to the socket, and the socket is
not even screwed to the wall, so why not reconnect the cableas
before?
--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 08:05, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Might not look so pretty, but until the puppy is over the wire eating
stage, its probably cheaper. A word of waning. If the puppy is a chewer of
wires, for goodness sake keep it away from mains cables especially live
ones!

Or not. ;-

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That looks like a normal NTE5 style master socket. The incoming cable is
the one wired to two connections, in the back of the socket. These are
often labelled A & B. They normally are carried on the blue pair, as
appears to be the case here.

The extension wiring is onto the back of the removable face plate (that
allows all the extensions to be disconnected for testing simply by
unplugging the face plate). Its correct that only three wires should be
connected. The connections here are normally numbered 2 - 5, with the
blue pair being connected to 2 and 5, and then the orange on 3.

All the terminals on that box are Insulation Displacement Connections -
basically you just push the insulated wire into the terminal with the
right tool, and it cuts through the insulation at the point of contact.

The best way to fix it, if there is wire spare, is to remove the stub of
wire left connected to the box, re-terminate the free end of the
incoming wiring. Ideally you need an IDC punch down tool to do this, but
you can do it with care using a fine tipped screwdriver to push the wire
in from either side of the blades of the terminal. Don't push directly
into the blades though - apply force onto the wire just beside them.

If there is not enough spare wire, then you will need to joint the
cables. Either with a appropriate comms style junction box, or
heatshrink and solder, or possibly IDC "jelly bean"[1] style connectors
if you have access to them.

[1] Kind of like the wago terminal of the comms world!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks all for your replies.

Just been to see her and it was a 5 minute job - the incoming cable from
the outside was a bit crashed in one spot where the little devil (a
gorgeous friendly Samoyed) tried to sharpen its teeth. Luckily there was
plenty of slack, so I just cut it off and reconnected. The extension
cable in the photos has long been disconnected - just the ends were left
inside the socket, so removed those altogether.

PS: the damage was caused on the puppy's 2nd day in the house, and it
hasn't gone near anything it shouldn't have since.

Thanks again!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2019 18:18, Andrew wrote:
On 14/11/2019 16:52, Terry Casey wrote:
In article UKudnRqY-
, says...

PS: the damage was caused on the puppy's 2nd day in the house, and it
hasn't gone near anything it shouldn't have since.

Saliva is conductive, so perhaps it got a brief 50V warning
shock when he bit through the cable!

I thought you only got 50v when someone was phoning your
numberĀ* ?

You get ~90V AC when ringing, but 48V DC across the A and B wires all
the time.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 05:43:10 +1100, Ray, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote

Nope, its there all the time

It's like you then, you sleepless trolling nym-shifting senile pest!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 18:18:14 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Saliva is conductive, so perhaps it got a brief 50V warning shock

when
he bit through the cable!

I thought you only got 50v when someone was phoning your
number ?

I can assure you that a DEL has 50v DC on it all the time and it's
enough to be moderately painfull. Not nice when you're up a ladder,
in the pouring rain, soaking wet, attaching music, control and 4
wires (which don't have any DC on them) to a BT terminal block
forgetting that said block has DELs on it...

--
Cheers
Dave.