Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_13_] Graham.[_13_] is offline

Default Fixing the wiring of a phone socket

Reentrant Wrote in message:
On 13/11/2019 21:53, JoeJoe wrote:
A friend's new puppy bit through a telephone cable, and she doesn't have
a dialling tone any more, and the house phone doesn't work. She asked me
to have a look, so am planning to drop by tomorrow to see what I can do.

She sent me a few (pretty poor quality) photos, see he
https://imgur.com/a/cPQT0cJ

A few questions:

- There seem to be two cables entering the socket, one of them cut off.
Can I assume that the one coming from "the outside" is the one that is
cut off, and the other goes to an extension? I'll have a closer look
tomorrow of course.
- I am familiar with BT sockets, but hers is an NTL (now Virgin Media I
believe) one - she is on cable. Are they the same? (in terms of the wiring)
- There seem to be 3 wires connected within the socket. Is this because
the only cable left connected is the one going to an extension? (as in
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm)

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Good video here that explains everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yw494T7ZYY

To join wires you ought to use a gel crimp - the video explains these.

--
Reentrant

Yes, but the break is so close to the socket, and the socket is
not even screwed to the wall, so why not reconnect the cableas
before?
--
__
%Profound_observation%