Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Fixing the wiring of a phone socket

A friend's new puppy bit through a telephone cable, and she doesn't have
a dialling tone any more, and the house phone doesn't work. She asked me
to have a look, so am planning to drop by tomorrow to see what I can do.

She sent me a few (pretty poor quality) photos, see he
https://imgur.com/a/cPQT0cJ

A few questions:

- There seem to be two cables entering the socket, one of them cut off.
Can I assume that the one coming from "the outside" is the one that is
cut off, and the other goes to an extension? I'll have a closer look
tomorrow of course.
- I am familiar with BT sockets, but hers is an NTL (now Virgin Media I
believe) one - she is on cable. Are they the same? (in terms of the wiring)
- There seem to be 3 wires connected within the socket. Is this because
the only cable left connected is the one going to an extension? (as in
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm)

Any tips will be much appreciated.

You are correct about the purpose of the two cables.
The socket is an NTE5 and is (or perhaps was) also used by BT
Openreach.

If you remove the two screws you can pull off the lower faceplate
complete with the extension wiring.
You will then see two more screws, undo these and the rest of the
socket can be removed from the back-box. at the rear you will see two
screw terminals marked A and B, note the colours of the wires, discard
the stump, and rejoin the cut cable.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%