Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minor triumph with colour laserjet

My (relatively lightly used) Lexmark colour laser had stopped picking up
paper. I wasn't particularly optimistic that cleaning the rollers would
work, and expected to have to delve into the works. I was pleased to
find on removing the (only) feed tray and turning it on its side that
the rollers were readily accessible, and 1 ml of propanol on a cotton
bud had it up and running in about a minute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:44:54 +0100, newshound
wrote:

My (relatively lightly used) Lexmark colour laser had stopped picking up
paper. I wasn't particularly optimistic that cleaning the rollers would
work, and expected to have to delve into the works. I was pleased to
find on removing the (only) feed tray and turning it on its side that
the rollers were readily accessible, and 1 ml of propanol on a cotton
bud had it up and running in about a minute.

Excellent. ;-)

If the rollers have gone too far you can often find aftermarket kits
to replace them and they can be fairly easy to do. Others can be a
complete PITA of course.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 12:44, newshound wrote:
My (relatively lightly used) Lexmark colour laser had stopped picking up
paper. I wasn't particularly optimistic that cleaning the rollers would
work, and expected to have to delve into the works. I was pleased to
find on removing the (only) feed tray and turning it on its side that
the rollers were readily accessible, and 1 ml of propanol on a cotton
bud had it up and running in about a minute.

HP once had a inkjet printer with a paper roller pick up problem.

They sent out a free of charge fixing kit which consisted of a spring
loaded plate to which was attached some of those green plastic pan
scrubber pads. The pads were forced against the roller and some supplied
software just turned the roller. The pan scrubbers just roughed up the
roller surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 12:44:57 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
My (relatively lightly used) Lexmark colour laser had stopped picking up
paper. I wasn't particularly optimistic that cleaning the rollers would
work, and expected to have to delve into the works. I was pleased to
find on removing the (only) feed tray and turning it on its side that
the rollers were readily accessible, and 1 ml of propanol on a cotton
bud had it up and running in about a minute.

Aargh. Flashback to my time as field support engineer for a document scanning system. Scanner feed rollers were an absolute PITA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somehow printers rollers lose their almost sticky surface and I suspect this
is ground in paper dust and other bits of junk like toner and general dust
in the e air.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
My (relatively lightly used) Lexmark colour laser had stopped picking up
paper. I wasn't particularly optimistic that cleaning the rollers would
work, and expected to have to delve into the works. I was pleased to find
on removing the (only) feed tray and turning it on its side that the
rollers were readily accessible, and 1 ml of propanol on a cotton bud had
it up and running in about a minute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

HP once had a inkjet printer with a paper roller pick up problem.

They sent out a free of charge fixing kit which consisted of a spring
loaded plate to which was attached some of those green plastic pan
scrubber pads. The pads were forced against the roller and some supplied
software just turned the roller. The pan scrubbers just roughed up the
roller surface.

https://www.af-net.com/product-selector/printers/pcl100-platenclene
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That was what haoppened to my HP photo printer which pulled the paper
from a horizontal tray under the printer, up and onto the print bed.

After about 2 years no amount of cleaning would encourage the rollers
to grip the paper, which also suffered from the varying humidity over
the course of a year. Tnis is a problem for lightly used home printers.
It printed good photos from its 6 cartridges (when it worked) :-(

Eventually I binned it and bought a cheapo Canon Pixma IP1200 which
has the paper tray almost vertically behind the printer so gravity
always helps the paper to feed.

On 01/10/2019 08:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
Somehow printers rollers lose their almost sticky surface and I suspect this
is ground in paper dust and other bits of junk like toner and general dust
in the e air.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 23:38:29 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre
wrote:

Aargh. Flashback to my time as field support engineer for a document scanning system. Scanner feed rollers were an absolute PITA.

In a similar vein, when I worked for Kodak on their Microfilm and
Fiche kit, one a cheque filmer called the 'Reliant 750' had quite a
few rollers and would handle filming both sides of 750 cheques a
minute. ;-)

http://www.swenton.com/images/Kodak/750.jpg
http://www.swenton.com/Kodak-OI

The clear body of a Bic biro dropped inside could cause all sorts of
issues and often be difficult to spot.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2019 12:44, newshound wrote:
My (relatively lightly used) Lexmark colour laser had stopped picking up
paper. I wasn't particularly optimistic that cleaning the rollers would
work, and expected to have to delve into the works. I was pleased to
find on removing the (only) feed tray and turning it on its side that
the rollers were readily accessible, and 1 ml of propanol on a cotton
bud had it up and running in about a minute.

Our Samsung CLP-680dn became very intermittent at feeding paper. I'd
already changed the rollers, but it got worse, so I decided that it was
possibly a sensor fault or a tired motor and the paper wasn't being
detected in time.

I saw one for sale, not far away, for spares or repairs on Ebay and put
a bid in, thinking I could swap bits over. When I went to collect it, it
turned out that the colour toners had run out and they'd lost the power
lead and that was all that was wrong. I transferred both over from our
printer, fired it up and found out that it'd only printed about 2,500
sheets! So basically they'd used up the toners supplied with it and
discarded the whole thing.

The really good part, was I won the bid for only £2.20

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2019 14:06, Andrew wrote:
That was what haoppened to my HP photo printer which pulled the paper
from a horizontal tray under the printer, up and onto the print bed.

After about 2 years no amount of cleaning would encourage the rollers
to grip the paper, which also suffered from the varying humidity over
the course of a year. Tnis is a problem for lightly used home printers.
It printed good photos from its 6 cartridges (when it worked) :-(

Eventually I binned it and bought a cheapo Canon Pixma IP1200 which
has the paper tray almost vertically behind the printer so gravity
always helps the paper to feed.

I had a Canon, mono laser printer, with a vertical paper tray, long ago
(that long ago that it was a WinPrinter). It was worked hard and was
very reliable, until it eventually started feeding multiple pages. The
fault was not the roller, but a pad at the bottom of the tray, the
friction of which was enough to hold back all but the first (driven) sheet.

I dreaded having to fit a new pad, as it was right at the bottom, with
no access without dismantling the printer, but it turned out that Canon
were using HP mechanisms and HP did a repair kit.

It cost me a tenner for the kit, shipped from the States and it was a
work of art. Simply a sticky pad and a load of cardboard. When folded
along the pre-formed lines and the various tabs inserted, it formed a
rectangular outer guide that fitted perfectly into the paper tray and an
inner slider that guided the pad into the perfect position. No
disassembly required at all.

SteveW