Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fear and ignorance triumph again. The illegal immigrant getsanother four years.

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 11 Nov 2012
21:40:58 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
"Alex W." wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 03:25:09 -0500, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/11/2012 2:36 AM, Jeanne Douglas wrote:
Most of my books are in a storage locker, 5x5 with a really high
ceiling, piled to the ceiling. I never counted, but there are thousands.

In just 5 years the price of the unit has gone from $92 to $143. My best
friend lives out in San Bernadino County and she says the units are so
much cheaper there, so we may move everything around the holidays. And
go through the books to find the ones I want here at home (mostly to
re-read), which to give away, and which to store.

And then I'd like to take the books that I have here at home and don't
want to store, plus the books from storage that I want, and buy several
of these:

http://www.hsn.com/home-solutions/or...tional-rack_p-
6743973_xp.aspx

I also think I'd rather have a couple of those instead of chests of
drawers for my sweaters and other knits that can 't be hung up. Getting
the books in the boxes on the floor of the closets will help, too.
Imagine having room on the closet floor for my shoes!!

Just think...they will ALL fit on a single SD card, with room to spare.

Can you take your SD card into the bathtub with you?

Can you fold over a corner of your SD card to mark a page?

I never to that to my books.

That's what the receipt from the store is for. B-)

Does your SD card come with the sight, the sound, the smell of
paper, ink and glue?

Can you zoom in on the text in a printed book?

What do you do with your SD card in ten or twenty years' time
when software has moved on so much that its contents have become
inaccessible?

You copy it to each new format. Don't they teach you anything these
days?

One thing about books - the retrieval technology doesn't change.

OTOH, converting from one media to the new media has been a
problem going back to the invention of papyrus. "What are we going
to do with all these clay tablets?"
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Alex W." wrote:

Can you fold over a corner of your SD card to mark a page?

I never to that to my books.

That's what the receipt from the store is for. B-)

I have a handful of laminated bookmarks from the DAV.

Does your SD card come with the sight, the sound, the smell of
paper, ink and glue?

Can you zoom in on the text in a printed book?

What do you do with your SD card in ten or twenty years' time
when software has moved on so much that its contents have become
inaccessible?

You copy it to each new format. Don't they teach you anything these
days?

One thing about books - the retrieval technology doesn't change.

No, but you can't just upload the text & have it translated into
another language.

OTOH, converting from one media to the new media has been a
problem going back to the invention of papyrus. "What are we going
to do with all these clay tablets?"

What do you think caused the first 'flea market'?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 12 Nov 2012
19:55:30 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

You copy it to each new format. Don't they teach you anything these
days?

One thing about books - the retrieval technology doesn't change.

No, but you can't just upload the text & have it translated into
another language.

Details ..... B-)

OTOH, converting from one media to the new media has been a
problem going back to the invention of papyrus. "What are we going
to do with all these clay tablets?"

What do you think caused the first 'flea market'?

People fleaing the invaders?
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 12 Nov 2012
19:55:30 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

You copy it to each new format. Don't they teach you anything these
days?

One thing about books - the retrieval technology doesn't change.

No, but you can't just upload the text & have it translated into
another language.

Details ..... B-)

OTOH, converting from one media to the new media has been a
problem going back to the invention of papyrus. "What are we going
to do with all these clay tablets?"

What do you think caused the first 'flea market'?

People fleaing the invaders?

No, the seller's camels were flea infested! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:33:55 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

No, but you can't just upload the text & have it translated into
another language.

Details ..... B-)

Actually..Babblefish and others are doing that right now. Upload the
book and it will translate it into another language.

There are some occasional....errors.... in translation however......

VBG

Gunner

"The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be
reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and
controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced,
if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again
learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

(Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

No, but you can't just upload the text & have it translated into
another language.

Details ..... B-)

Actually..Babblefish and others are doing that right now. Upload the
book and it will translate it into another language.

There are some occasional....errors.... in translation however......

I was talking about a paper book being uploaded & translated. I know
babblefish is poor quality, but you could get the gist of a translated
book.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 13 Nov 2012
10:34:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

No, but you can't just upload the text & have it translated into
another language.

Details ..... B-)

Actually..Babblefish and others are doing that right now. Upload the
book and it will translate it into another language.

There are some occasional....errors.... in translation however......

I was talking about a paper book being uploaded & translated. I know
babblefish is poor quality, but you could get the gist of a translated
book.

Babblefish, or Google translates, give you the gist of a work. But
if you want to read something with nuances, "idioms" or the like - it
might not be so good. "The Vodka is strong but the meat is rotten".
etc.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Babblefish, or Google translates, give you the gist of a work. But
if you want to read something with nuances, "idioms" or the like - it
might not be so good. "The Vodka is strong but the meat is rotten".
etc.

Sometimes it's the only way you can read it, without learning another
language.

Google translator came up with this for a Russian picture caption relating
to Sandy:

"30. Cars was very high. Most of the residents were not evacuated and
remained in their homes. One reason was the hurricane last year, when all
were evacuated, but nothing happened. Everyone thought it would be the same.
Well, here there are many Russian. And you know, we do not bite the cock ...
We ourselves went to the last moment. But still left. I have to say thank
you to my wife. If it does not, then I would not go anywhere."

Reportedly the word for word translation is "until the rooster doesn't peck"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

Google translator came up with this for a Russian picture caption
relating to Sandy:

"30. Cars was very high. Most of the residents were not evacuated
and remained in their homes. One reason was the hurricane last year,
when all were evacuated, but nothing happened. Everyone thought it
would be the same. Well, here there are many Russian. And you know,
we do not bite the cock ... We ourselves went to the last moment.
But still left. I have to say thank you to my wife. If it does not,
then I would not go anywhere."

Reportedly the word for word translation is "until the rooster
doesn't peck"

This is a compilation of a witty column in a dual-language magazine I
subscribe to.
http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Russi.../dp/1880100568

Many of the most confusing sayings were lifted from books, films or
politics. Several English examples of such loaded phrases came from
action films, like I'll be back! and Make my day!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting book. Can you read Russian?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 13 Nov 2012
14:12:46 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Babblefish, or Google translates, give you the gist of a work. But
if you want to read something with nuances, "idioms" or the like - it
might not be so good. "The Vodka is strong but the meat is rotten".
etc.

Sometimes it's the only way you can read it, without learning another
language.

Oh I know. I had a heck of a time trying to find the text to a
poem I had sort of learned in Russian class. ("My Comrades" by Boris
Slutsky) "Schmart guy dot I was" - I only copied it down in Russian,
in script. I could read it when I copied it, but not twenty years
later.
The translation that was generated was "close enough" that I
could "clean it up" back to something more inline with what I
remember.
Part of the problems, is as always, poetry does not translate
well, and by machine it is even worse.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

All the more reason to need one of Star Trek's legendary universal
translators.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

I have both German and well-translated English versions of a history
of the Luftwaffe. In order to make the English sound completely
natural the translator reconfigured the sentence content so that the
translations correspond only at the paragraph level. It was
interesting to analyze it to see how writers in the two languages
develop arguments differently.

Some other German bios I have that were translated sentence by
sentence retain the Germanic flavor despite their correct English.

I've never seen a close translation of German or French poetry that
comes anywhere near the tone or eloquence of the original. I did the
lighting for a summer stock production of the musical "Jacques Brel"
which is English versions of his French songs but the translators kept
only the general idea and a few phrases that happened to come out well
in English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Brel

jsw