Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minor triumph with colour laserjet

On 01/10/2019 14:06, Andrew wrote:
That was what haoppened to my HP photo printer which pulled the paper
from a horizontal tray under the printer, up and onto the print bed.

After about 2 years no amount of cleaning would encourage the rollers
to grip the paper, which also suffered from the varying humidity over
the course of a year. Tnis is a problem for lightly used home printers.
It printed good photos from its 6 cartridges (when it worked) :-(

Eventually I binned it and bought a cheapo Canon Pixma IP1200 which
has the paper tray almost vertically behind the printer so gravity
always helps the paper to feed.

I had a Canon, mono laser printer, with a vertical paper tray, long ago
(that long ago that it was a WinPrinter). It was worked hard and was
very reliable, until it eventually started feeding multiple pages. The
fault was not the roller, but a pad at the bottom of the tray, the
friction of which was enough to hold back all but the first (driven) sheet.

I dreaded having to fit a new pad, as it was right at the bottom, with
no access without dismantling the printer, but it turned out that Canon
were using HP mechanisms and HP did a repair kit.

It cost me a tenner for the kit, shipped from the States and it was a
work of art. Simply a sticky pad and a load of cardboard. When folded
along the pre-formed lines and the various tabs inserted, it formed a
rectangular outer guide that fitted perfectly into the paper tray and an
inner slider that guided the pad into the perfect position. No
disassembly required at all.

SteveW