Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hedge

Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Datstest grwires are...leylandii.

You might try bay if you want a fast growing evergreen

Or bay laurel.

Even yew is not that slow - 4"-8" a year.

Don't plant holly. You will be dead before it grows and box is another
slow grower too.,

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 September 2019 06:59:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Don't plant holly. You will be dead before it grows

Well, that's tactful.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 September 2019 02:08:57 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Willow. Can grow 5 ft in four months.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=588

Not sure if they will co-exist with leylandii.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/19 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

How are you going to "pull them out"? Are you going to get pros in who
will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left
(including the stumps of the dead trees)?

Once the stumps and roots have been ground, you will find the soil left
is several times the volume it was before the grinding process, and is
at a much higher level. It will take some time, and a lot of rain, to
return it to normal. Then, what you plant will struggle a bit as the
composting process for the ground stump removes nitrogen from he soil.
Adding some general fertiliser when you plant the trees should help.

As to fast-growing plants to consider, have a look at eucalyptus. There
are various species and varieties, all of which are hardy and evergreen,
and you can leave them to grow or pollard/stool them if you want.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Nice thick foliage Cypress - Thuja Plicata. A bit slower growing than
Leylandii but really looks nice trimmed, and only have to do it once per
year. Added bonus of loverly Cypress smell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 07:37, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 06:59:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Datstest grwires are...leylandii.

Yes, leylandii are the datstest grwires :-) Besides, it would look odd
to have something different there.

But it would be worth improving the soil where the old ones were.
After 45 years it will be pretty impoverished. Dig in plenty of
compost before you plant the new ones, either your own garden stuff if
you make it or a bag or two from your local garden centre.

Planting leylandii in the same position might be asking for trouble
since whatever killed the originals may still be lurking there. Soil
fungi pathogens specific to that species is a possibility and the soil
will be drained of all the nutrients that leylandii prefer. I can't
imagine what it takes to kill a laylandii. I can't see ivy managing to
do it. Strangler fig might.

Beech isn't a bad relatively fast growing hedge. Cotoneasters have nice
berries. Lonicera nitida is a fast grower and clips well. Yew is fairly
slow (toxic) and holly is slower still. Chunks of about 3m all the same
can look good if you have a long run of hedging and want have something
less monotonous than a monoculture of one planting.

Holly will eventually get there I allow a few to grow in my hedge along
with wild rose, ivy and honeysuckly. I reckon they take about 15 years
from seed to get to full hedge height and another 5 to thicken out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 09:26, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to
pull them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something
fast growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being
intruder-resistant because I'm also going to have a strong fence along
there.

Bill

Nice thick foliage Cypress - Thuja Plicata. A bit slower growing than
Leylandii but really looks nice trimmed, and only have to do it once per
year. Added bonus of loverly Cypress smell.

Sorry - not Cypress - its Ceder!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 07:38, wrote:
On Monday, 23 September 2019 02:08:57 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Willow. Can grow 5 ft in four months.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=588

Not sure if they will co-exist with leylandii.

Owain

Willow doesnt hedge.

If you want deciduous, beech (or hornbeam on wet heavy clay) is fast and
attractive.

Hawthorn and blackthorn are traditional

Its amazing what camn be made into a hedge. Euonymous,
maple,cotoneasters of soem forms, pyracanthas...Viburn tinus is a fast
grower and nice to look at. Berberis. Even Osmanthus.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 September 2019 02:08:57 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Fast growing = leylandii. If you're not using those, pick some nice edibles & you get lots & lots of free yummy food as well.

If you're putting a fence in too, climbers are one other option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 09:26, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to
pull them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something
fast growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being
intruder-resistant because I'm also going to have a strong fence along
there.

Bill

Nice thick foliage Cypress - Thuja Plicata. A bit slower growing than
Leylandii but really looks nice trimmed, and only have to do it once per
year. Added bonus of loverly Cypress smell.

+1, but it's not fast growing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 7:28:39 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 23 September 2019 06:59:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Don't plant holly. You will be dead before it grows

Well, that's tactful.

Owain

and it will self seed all around your garden.

I think Leylandii would be the fastest growing but make sure the originals didn't die of that disease that attacks leylandii
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 08:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

How are you going to "pull them out"?

I'm hoping they will come out if I put a chain on them and tug them with
the tractor. Trouble is they are near a retaining wall so the wall might
be damaged.

Are you going to get pros in who
will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left
(including the stumps of the dead trees)?

No I'll just put them on the bonfire heap.

Once the stumps and roots have been ground, you will find the soil left
is several times the volume it was before the grinding process, and is
at a much higher level. It will take some time, and a lot of rain, to
return it to normal. Then, what you plant will struggle a bit as the
composting process for the ground stump removes nitrogen from he soil.
Adding some general fertiliser when you plant the trees should help.

I'm wondering if I sould dig a big hole and put some compost and that in.

As to fast-growing plants to consider, have aÂ* look at eucalyptus. There
are various species and varieties, all of which are hardy and evergreen,
and you can leave them to grow or pollard/stool them if you want.

Oh, I'll have a look.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Datstest grwires are...leylandii.

Yes, leylandii are the datstest grwires :-) Besides, it would look odd
to have something different there.

But it would be worth improving the soil where the old ones were.
After 45 years it will be pretty impoverished. Dig in plenty of
compost before you plant the new ones, either your own garden stuff if
you make it or a bag or two from your local garden centre.

even that Kubota is going to struggle removing the stump of a
45-yo leylandii.

Tip for Bill. Leave about 6 foot sticking out above ground, so
you have something to apply leverage after you have dug around the
base and chopped the roots with an axe.

Or hire a bloke with a stump grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

mini digger works

So too does fire

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 September 2019 13:21:51 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/09/2019 08:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

How are you going to "pull them out"?

I'm hoping they will come out if I put a chain on them and tug them with
the tractor. Trouble is they are near a retaining wall so the wall might
be damaged.

or destroyed. plus any underground services nearby
If they're 45yo you'll need some Large equipment to pull them out.
And if it goes wrong the whip-back can take your head off.

Are you going to get pros in who
will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left
(including the stumps of the dead trees)?

No I'll just put them on the bonfire heap.

Assuming you don't get them pulled out, stumps can be got rid of with a handheld circular saw & hammer. Not quick, but effective.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/19 13:21, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/09/2019 08:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

How are you going to "pull them out"?

I'm hoping they will come out if I put a chain on them and tug them with
the tractor. Trouble is they are near a retaining wall so the wall might
be damaged.

I didn't realise that you had access to a tractor, but don't
underestimate the root problem. Trees of that age will have an extensive
root system. It may not be deep, but it will be far-reaching. See
detailed info he
https://www.trees.org.uk/Trees.org.uk/files/61/6181f2b7-e35d-4075-832f-5e230d16aa9e.pdf

So that wall will be at risk. I had a conifer hedge removed as it was in
a terrible state. I guess it was in in excess of 25 years old, as some
of the trunks were well over a foot in diameter, and were often
twin/triple. The tree branches had not only damaged a fence a couple of
feet away, but replacing the panels proved difficult as the damn roots
had moved and sometimes slightly rotated the concrete posts, so getting
the panels to fit was a challenge (not for me, but the guys fitting them!).

Are you going to get pros in who
will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left
(including the stumps of the dead trees)?

No I'll just put them on the bonfire heap.

Heh. Dry leylandii will burn really well! You've still got time before
5th November...

Once the stumps and roots have been ground, you will find the soil left
is several times the volume it was before the grinding process, and is
at a much higher level. It will take some time, and a lot of rain, to
return it to normal. Then, what you plant will struggle a bit as the
composting process for the ground stump removes nitrogen from he soil.
Adding some general fertiliser when you plant the trees should help.

I'm wondering if I sould dig a big hole and put some compost and that in.

If you have access to compost, then that makes sense.

As to fast-growing plants to consider, have aÂ* look at eucalyptus. There
are various species and varieties, all of which are hardy and evergreen,
and you can leave them to grow or pollard/stool them if you want.

Oh, I'll have a look.

Bill

Good luck.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sreiousluy. I planet holly. The only hedge sized on is now 20+ years
old. The rest are still knee high, but I hvae Bay that i need ladders to
top as well as yew.

My experience with Bay is that it remained quite slow growing for many
years and then just took off at around 4ft/year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 02:08:52 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

I thought you were moving funds between different currencies in
anticipation of Brexit :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 16:23, alan_m wrote:

Sreiousluy. I planet holly. The only hedge sized on is now 20+ years
old. The rest are still knee high, but I hvae Bay that i need ladders
to top as well as yew.

My experience with Bay is that it remained quite slow growing for many
years and then just took off at around 4ft/year.

There is a 40 feet high one with similar spread on the other side of my
back garden fence in a housing association property.

It was a potted shrub that was planted outside about 44 years ago
according to the old boy who still lives in one of the flats, while
the planter has long since joined the carbon-cycle.

Now no-one wil accept responsibility for it. Every year it rains
berries onto my garden which germinate and grow. There are
brambles growing right up through it and then dripping down onto
my side of the fence, also dropping berries everywhere.

Laurel turns into an effective hedge, possibly too effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to
pull them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something
fast growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being
intruder-resistant because I'm also going to have a strong fence
along there.
Bill

How goes it Bill? I hope that you are feeling better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/09/2019 07:38, wrote:
On Monday, 23 September 2019 02:08:57 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Willow. Can grow 5 ft in four months.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=588

Not sure if they will co-exist with leylandii.

What they can NOT do is coexist with drains or houses.

Andy

Eucalyptus is a demon for choking drains too...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/09/2019 07:38, wrote:
On Monday, 23 September 2019 02:08:57 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to
pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Willow. Can grow 5 ft in four months.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=588

Not sure if they will co-exist with leylandii.

What they can NOT do is coexist with drains or houses.

Andy

Eucalyptus is a demon for choking drains too...

Varies with the eucalyptus, there are thousands of different ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 06:34:36 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Eucalyptus is a demon for choking drains too...

Varies with the eucalyptus, there are thousands of different ones.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane senile asshole?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Cheaper and easier.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ree+stumps+out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

slow though. A saw's faster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Not like you to be thinking short term Bill. Moving house?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2019 09:56, Tim+ wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Not like you to be thinking short term Bill. Moving house?

Tim

This is te asnwer!
https://www.primrose.co.uk/buxus-art...cPath=318_2315

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yeah great. All you need to do is move to America where the ground is
tinder dry and it will work. I have burned out a pear tree stump using
potassium nitrate to preload it so it will smoulder deep underground.

His solution basically lopps it off at just below ground level and
probably only really works for resinous pine trees at that. It might
just work on leylandii stumps if he loads them up with KNO3 during the
winter and waits until a long dry midsummer spell to set light.

Eventually I had to dig the remaining roots out anyway since they
started sprouting suckers from each detached underground piece.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown