Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default hedge

On 23/09/2019 08:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

How are you going to "pull them out"?

I'm hoping they will come out if I put a chain on them and tug them with
the tractor. Trouble is they are near a retaining wall so the wall might
be damaged.

Are you going to get pros in who
will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left
(including the stumps of the dead trees)?

No I'll just put them on the bonfire heap.

Once the stumps and roots have been ground, you will find the soil left
is several times the volume it was before the grinding process, and is
at a much higher level. It will take some time, and a lot of rain, to
return it to normal. Then, what you plant will struggle a bit as the
composting process for the ground stump removes nitrogen from he soil.
Adding some general fertiliser when you plant the trees should help.

I'm wondering if I sould dig a big hole and put some compost and that in.

As to fast-growing plants to consider, have aÂ* look at eucalyptus. There
are various species and varieties, all of which are hardy and evergreen,
and you can leave them to grow or pollard/stool them if you want.

Oh, I'll have a look.

Bill