Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hedge

On 23/09/2019 13:54, Andrew wrote:
On 23/09/2019 07:37, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 06:59:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to
pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill
Datstest grwires are...leylandii.

Yes, leylandii are the datstest grwires :-) Besides, it would look odd
to have something different there.

But it would be worth improving the soil where the old ones were.
After 45 years it will be pretty impoverished. Dig in plenty of
compost before you plant the new ones, either your own garden stuff if
you make it or a bag or two from your local garden centre.

even that Kubota is going to struggle removing the stump of a
45-yo leylandii.

Tip for Bill. Leave about 6 foot sticking out above ground, so
you have something to apply leverage after you have dug around the
base and chopped the roots with an axe.

Or hire a bloke with a stump grinder.

mini digger works

So too does fire

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius