Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hedge

On 23/09/2019 07:38, wrote:
On Monday, 23 September 2019 02:08:57 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing.

Willow. Can grow 5 ft in four months.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=588

Not sure if they will co-exist with leylandii.

Owain

Willow doesnt hedge.

If you want deciduous, beech (or hornbeam on wet heavy clay) is fast and
attractive.

Hawthorn and blackthorn are traditional

Its amazing what camn be made into a hedge. Euonymous,
maple,cotoneasters of soem forms, pyracanthas...Viburn tinus is a fast
grower and nice to look at. Berberis. Even Osmanthus.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain