Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hedge

On 23/09/19 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three
have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull
them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast
growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant
because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

How are you going to "pull them out"? Are you going to get pros in who
will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left
(including the stumps of the dead trees)?

Once the stumps and roots have been ground, you will find the soil left
is several times the volume it was before the grinding process, and is
at a much higher level. It will take some time, and a lot of rain, to
return it to normal. Then, what you plant will struggle a bit as the
composting process for the ground stump removes nitrogen from he soil.
Adding some general fertiliser when you plant the trees should help.

As to fast-growing plants to consider, have a look at eucalyptus. There
are various species and varieties, all of which are hardy and evergreen,
and you can leave them to grow or pollard/stool them if you want.

--

Jeff