Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default hedge

Could somebody explain to the Holly in my neighbours garden that it is
supposed to grow slowly? It keeps on pushing its way through the fence and
it aint arf sharp on the leaf spikes!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 23/09/2019 02:08, Bill Wright wrote:
Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three have
died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull them
out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast growing. It
doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant because I'm
also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Datstest grwires are...leylandii.

You might try bay if you want a fast growing evergreen

Or bay laurel.

Even yew is not that slow - 4"-8" a year.

Don't plant holly. You will be dead before it grows and box is another
slow grower too.,

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted man
if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing

- Leo Tolstoy