Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machining a groove in wood

I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

Router bits have a parallel shank and you can grip them in your drill
chuck easily enough. Router speeds are higher though, so you'll find
you'll have to go slowly so as not to be forcing the work along. You'll
usually find that you can set the stop to prevent the bit being lowered
too far and once down, you can lock the quill of the drill to stop it
retracting too - on cheap drills the latter is usually just a grubscrew
in the casting.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 14:51:51 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

drills hate side forces on the bearings

Do it with a saw.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Have you got a circular saw? Two cuts to the correct depth and chisel out
the waste.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 14:51:51 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

drills hate side forces on the bearings

I dont care. Its a cheap pillar drill that hardly gets any use. As long
as the bearings last long enough to one decent cut thatll do me.

Do it with a saw.

No suitable saw.

I was wondering about a milling bit. Maybe something like this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m... 323868675825

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

You may well ruin the drill.

Drills aren't designed for force to be applied 'side on', routers are.

You could drill a series of holes and then try to a 'make shift' router.
That would reduce the side on force.

An alternative is plough plane, if you can't borrow a router.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
route with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a tripod base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Nothing in principle to stop you using a router bit in the drill with
suitable fence etc clamped in place to guide the work. The max speed on
the drill press will be *significantly* lower than a typical router (20k
rpm would be good for that size of cutter), so you will have to feed the
work very slowly and take it easy on what is quite a small cutter. I
would suggest using a two or three passes to get to the full depth.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 16:17:36 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Any saw will do the job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

https://ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_udhi=10&_nkw=plough%20plane&LH_PrefLoc=1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 19:16, Andrew wrote:

Do you have a 5mm wide wood chisel ?. If so cut a slot
manually

Do the sides with a stanley knife first

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw? Aldi have two on offer one at £49.99 and one at £59.99, they are probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw? Aldi have two on offer one at £49.99 and one at £59.99, they are probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

A usable router can be had for even less!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw?

quite

Aldi have two on offer one at £49.99 and one at £59.99, they are probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

Skip the Aldi tools, get a machine mart / Clarke for the same price. Much better. I've had too many failures with Aldi stuff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 August 2019 21:13:22 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 18/08/2019 20:24, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw?

quite

Aldi have two on offer one at £49.99 and one at £59.99, they are probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

Skip the Aldi tools, get a machine mart / Clarke for the same price. Much better. I've had too many failures with Aldi stuff.

I've got an Aldi battery circular saw - superb. And as mentioned
elsewhere, ideal for this sort of job when used with a decent guide/saw
board etc.

The problem with Aldi power tools is the very high failure rate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2019 19:13, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw? Aldi have two on offer one at £49.99 and one at £59.99, they are probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

A usable router can be had for even less!

making a nice straight groove is not easy in inexperienced
hands. I'd use a circular saw and make multiple parallel
cuts and clean up with a chisel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 17:39, Andrew wrote:
On 18/08/2019 19:13, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky* wrote:
If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw? Aldi
have two on offer one at £49.99 and one at £59.99, they are probably
cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any
solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might
even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

A usable router can be had for even less!

making a nice straight groove is not easy in inexperienced
hands. I'd use a circular saw and make multiple parallel
cuts and clean up with a chisel.

An accurate groove in even an entry level router should be very doable
so long as it has a fence that can run along the edge. Easiest if the
cutter is the preferred width to start with, to save needing more than
one offset set on the fence.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 12:44:05 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

he doesn't even have a saw.
A handheld circular is one of the most useful saws & will do the job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw?

quite

Aldi have two on offer one at 49.99 and one at 59.99, they are
probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any
solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might
even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

Skip the Aldi tools, get a machine mart / Clarke for the same price.
Much better. I've had too many failures with Aldi stuff.

Go to Lidl, then. Although they only do special offers, not had a failure
with any of their power tools. And they have a three year warranty.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
But they're only used for DIY. While the impact driver managed 200+
screws the other day to assemble a shed on one battery and didn't miss a
beat, I'm not sure I'd trust them for daily use. And the better Bosch
and Makita are nicer to use.

True - but you could likely buy three Lidl for one Makita.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 11:19:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2019 17:08:18 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

If you are a DIYer what are you doing without a circular saw?

quite

Aldi have two on offer one at Ł49.99 and one at Ł59.99, they are
probably cheap and cheerful but will probably do a better job than any
solution using a pillar drill as a router. You never know you might
even find some uses in other jobs .

Richard

Skip the Aldi tools, get a machine mart / Clarke for the same price.
Much better. I've had too many failures with Aldi stuff.

Go to Lidl, then. Although they only do special offers, not had a failure
with any of their power tools. And they have a three year warranty.

I've not had your luck with Lidl tools either. Like Aldi, they have to offer 3yr gtees to get people to buy them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2019 10:25, wrote:
[...]

It will do it, but its not as easy to get an accurate result. However
that does not really matter in this particular case since all the OP
wants is a groove for a wire.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 13:43:03 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 6:45:11 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2019 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Well John, as you said it worked.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vjfe541i7PriZmuw5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aQmNASpMKt9R8UPv7

I'm not sure why folk were trying to overcomplicate it so much. The above was done on a test piece using a 5mm router bit and my cheapo Lidl/Aldi pillar drill.

I'd love to see an example done with a handheld circular saw of equal quality. ;-) Frankly most of the other suggestions sounded like nice ways to butcher a piece of wood to me.

Tim+

That's good. I wasn't convinced it'd work.

NT