Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machining a groove in wood

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 13:43:03 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 6:45:11 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2019 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
€śroute€ť with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a €śtripod€ť base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Nothing in principle to stop you using a router bit in the drill with
suitable fence etc clamped in place to guide the work. The max speed on
the drill press will be *significantly* lower than a typical router (20k
rpm would be good for that size of cutter), so you will have to feed the
work very slowly and take it easy on what is quite a small cutter. I
would suggest using a two or three passes to get to the full depth.

Well John, as you said it worked.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vjfe541i7PriZmuw5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aQmNASpMKt9R8UPv7

I'm not sure why folk were trying to overcomplicate it so much. The above was done on a test piece using a 5mm router bit and my cheapo Lidl/Aldi pillar drill.

I'd love to see an example done with a handheld circular saw of equal quality. ;-) Frankly most of the other suggestions sounded like nice ways to butcher a piece of wood to me.

Tim+

That's good. I wasn't convinced it'd work.

NT