Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machining a groove in wood

On 17/08/2019 15:05, wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 14:51:51 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
€śroute€ť with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a €śtripod€ť base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

drills hate side forces on the bearings

Do it with a saw.

A drill's bearings are not going to be noticeably affected by small
amount (especially a one off) of routing. If he were looking at light
milling work, in metal, on a frequent basis, the advice would be very
different!

SteveW