Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machining a groove in wood

On 17/08/2019 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
I have a 800mm piece of wood that I want to cut a 5mm wide grove in (to a
depth of about 6mm).

I dont have a router but I do have a cheap pillar drill. Is there a bit
that I could use (with a suitable guide for my wood) that would let me
€śroute€ť with my drill?

(The wood in question is one leg of a €śtripod€ť base Ikea lamp. The power
cord dangles down the middle at present and I think it would look a whole
lot better if I could hide the wire along the inside of one leg.)

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lauters...hite-40405046/

Tim

Router bits have a parallel shank and you can grip them in your drill
chuck easily enough. Router speeds are higher though, so you'll find
you'll have to go slowly so as not to be forcing the work along. You'll
usually find that you can set the stop to prevent the bit being lowered
too far and once down, you can lock the quill of the drill to stop it
retracting too - on cheap drills the latter is usually just a grubscrew
in the casting.

SteveW