Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self service checkouts in B&Q

B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

The ones in our local B&Q work quite well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

The problem is that the B&Q point of sales equipment sits on top of a
computer system that was only state of the art in the 1980s. B&Q cannot
even support contactless card payments.

As a result a member of staff has to intervene in self service tills in
90% of transactions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 19:38, Brian Reay wrote:
On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Â*The ones in our local B&Q work quite well.

So you haven't been asked to put the 4 bags of sand (variable weight
depending on wetness) on the scales and found that the position of the
scales gives an non ideal position for lifting them off again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.
The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and other
sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no interaction
whatsoever.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit it,
but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit it,
but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

I suspect the hugely different types/quantities of items that people need to
checkout makes the comparison invalid

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.
The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and other
sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no interaction
whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Â*The ones in our local B&Q work quite well.

Are you sure they are still there? The ones from ours vanished recently.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.

Works fine for me. I've only had two glitches. One where they stopped
weighing the output side so its now not hard to accidentally scan the
same item twice, but easy to avoid when you know of the problem.

The other one was just because someone had ****ed up
updating the database so that veg item wasn’t selectable.

The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and other
sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no interaction
whatsoever.

But it remains to be seen how well that works when
you change your mind about wanting something etc.

The best of ours even manages to get the barcode
off the tiny sticker on stuff like nectarines so you
don’t even have to tell it what veg it is anymore,
just out the bag of nectarines you have filled from
the bin of them loose on the scales and its all auto.

Doesn’t work for stuff like iceberg lettuce or potatoes
that don’t have the tiny sticker on the loose items tho.

"R D S" wrote in message
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.
The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and other
sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no interaction
whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:36:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.
The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and other
sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no interaction
whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

It's just too expensive to do it perfectly, for the time being, senile
idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:16:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.

Works fine for me.

How could it be different! LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 01:17:02 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit it, but they
have, they aren't helping anybody!

The ones in our local B&Q work quite well.

So you haven't been asked to put the 4 bags of sand (variable weight depending on
wetness) on the scales and found that the position of the scales gives an non ideal
position for lifting them off again?

The reason for their demise may not be entirely unconnected with B&Q's
potential liability for damages, should anyone injure themselves when
lifting stuff on and off such scales.*

When employees of a company are required to lift similar weights, mere
exhortation isn't considered sufficient. They need to be actuallly drilled
in the correct method - bend the knees blah blah blah.**

michael adams

*More especially as back pain and back injuries are supposedly easy to
feign.

*According to the training episode in "the Office" at least. Unless of course
Gareth Keenan was simply making it all up, with the connivance of David
Brent, simply so as impress the new bit of totty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 21:06, tim... wrote:

I suspect the hugely different types/quantities of items that people
need to checkout makes the comparison invalid

Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills instead.

Complete PIA if you are buying anything age restricted. Which I often.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 19:28, R D S wrote:
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Â*The ones in our local B&Q work quite well.

we just knew you wouldn't have any problems...binned my B&Q card since
they stopped the 10% off thingy.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this
yet. The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and
other sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no
interaction whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

presumably there is no loose veg

another dumbing down that environmentally unfriendly

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:02:11 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:28:13 +0100, R D S wrote:

B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

I shop at both Tesco's and Sainsbury's. I almost always use the self
service checkout in Tesco's, but had so much hassle with the ones in
Sainsbury's that I no longer use them.

I find Sainsbury's works better than Morrisons - fewer error messages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:46:48 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 14/08/2019 21:06, tim... wrote:

I suspect the hugely different types/quantities of items that people
need to checkout makes the comparison invalid

Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills instead.

Sexist bas***d :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 21:06, tim... wrote:

I suspect the hugely different types/quantities of items that people
need to checkout makes the comparison invalid

Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills instead.

Sexist bas***d :-)

Dammit!

Obviously I meant personned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 21:06, tim... wrote:

I suspect the hugely different types/quantities of items that people
need to checkout makes the comparison invalid

Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills
instead.

Sexist bas***d :-)

Dammit!

Obviously I meant personned.

Or perdaughtered...

Staffed is good.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/15/2019 8:00 PM, R D S wrote:
On 15/08/2019 19:33, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:46:48 +0100, R D S wrote:
Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills
instead.

Sexist bas***d :-)

Dammit!

Obviously I meant personned.

* Or perdaughtered...

Staffed is good.

Yes.

But discriminates against contract workers

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this
yet. The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras
and other sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no
interaction whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

presumably there is no loose veg

Cant see that being viable with lettuce and cabbage etc.

another dumbing down that environmentally unfriendly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:10:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

presumably there is no loose veg

Cant see that

Can't you, senile idiot? BG

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 19:11:03 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this
yet. The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and
other sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no
interaction whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

presumably there is no loose veg

I'd class wodney as a loose vegatable ;-)

another dumbing down that environmentally unfriendly

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this
yet. The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras
and other sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with
no interaction whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

presumably there is no loose veg

Cant see that being viable with lettuce and cabbage etc.

why ever not?

Obviously the pack size will be one (and the price will be per unit not per
kilo)

but some shops rund ere pack and price them that way

The cabbages in particular can range from football sized to ones barely
bigger than a tennis ball, all for the same price. I refuse to buy unless I
get the football, but others are obviously not so choosey

tim

another dumbing down that environmentally unfriendly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Some of us are desparately keen to save the planet by not wasting
cabbage.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:02:11 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:28:13 +0100, R D S wrote:

B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

I shop at both Tesco's and Sainsbury's. I almost always use the self
service checkout in Tesco's, but had so much hassle with the ones in
Sainsbury's that I no longer use them.

I find Sainsbury's works better than Morrisons - fewer error messages.

Think that annoys me about Tesco is it no longer weighs your own bag first
- as the last software did. So more often than not needs an assistant to
reset it. Unless you run everything through first, then load into your own
bags afterwards. Which slows things down.

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 14/08/2019 21:06, tim... wrote:

I suspect the hugely different types/quantities of items that people
need to checkout makes the comparison invalid

Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills instead.

Complete PIA if you are buying anything age restricted. Which I often.

Why go to a self service store if you need staff to just pay for what
you've selected?

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 August 2019 14:04:31 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

More doesn't always mean better. This is one reason why some go to fruit and veg stalls becaus ethe produce is better than the supermarkets wrapped and waxed fruit and it's cheaper too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this
yet. The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras
and other sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with
no interaction whatsoever.

I'd really like to test that and see if it works accurately.

I suspect not

Yeah, can't see how it can even if the trolley weighs itself
continuously, particularly with loose veg and fruit etc.

presumably there is no loose veg

Cant see that being viable with lettuce and cabbage etc.

why ever not?

Those have to be loose.

Obviously the pack size will be one (and the price will be per unit not
per kilo)

But if you put the sticker on one of the leaves
of the iceberg lettuce, that leaf can come off.

but some shops rund ere pack and price them that way

Yeah, ours do that with lettuce. Dunno about cabbage,
I don't buy those.

The cabbages in particular can range from football sized to ones barely
bigger than a tennis ball, all for the same price. I refuse to buy unless
I get the football, but others are obviously not so choosey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 05:51:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, ours do that with lettuce. Dunno about cabbage,

You should now, ever since you became a cabbage, you 85-year-old trolling
senile idiot!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:02:11 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:28:13 +0100, R D S wrote:

B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?

I shop at both Tesco's and Sainsbury's. I almost always use the self
service checkout in Tesco's, but had so much hassle with the ones in
Sainsbury's that I no longer use them.

I had a considerable degree of trouble with a Tesco's staff member at
Broughton regarding their automated checkouts.

One arrived to find that Airbus had failed to be advised of my coming,
so I did the usual and called locally for coffee and papers while the
issue was sorted.

Went to check out my stuff at Tescos.

I was prompted for the number of bags used.

I had already hit the "no bags" button at the start.

I called the lady over and pointed out I didn't need a bag anyway, so
why make my desired purchase conditional on applying a negative to the
purchase of a product I had no intention of buying anyway.

She stated it was only for carriers, when I went on to point out that
Tesco's had goods that I wanted even less than carrier bags and I
should have the preference of declining those also, she failed to see
the logic totally.

Sadly the diversion got a little tedious after around ten minutes, the
poor lady wasn't into philosophy, so I felt a little "short changed"
on the transaction due to Tesco's choice of bargain basement staff.

There's a fine line between fishing
and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2019 20:51, Rod Speed wrote:

But if you put the sticker on one of the leaves
of the iceberg lettuce, that leaf can come off.

That's what a loose leaf binder is for...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 12:47:53 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

[...]

That only refers to bags which you might have brought yourself, perhaps?
I can't remember the dark days when disposable carrier bags were still
available in Tesco's.

I called the lady over and pointed out I didn't need a bag anyway, so
why make my desired purchase conditional on applying a negative to the
purchase of a product I had no intention of buying anyway.

She stated it was only for carriers, when I went on to point out that
Tesco's had goods that I wanted even less than carrier bags and I
should have the preference of declining those also, she failed to see
the logic totally.

Sadly the diversion got a little tedious after around ten minutes, the
poor lady wasn't into philosophy, so I felt a little "short changed"
on the transaction due to Tesco's choice of bargain basement staff.

And of course you were entirely in the wrong. It is very sound
commercial and legal practice to formally ask you whether you have taken
any of the bags presented and available for your use. It would be so if
Tesco were merely ensuring that you had no excuse for failing to pay
them a sum owed by claiming ignorance of the arrangement. It is doubly
justified by the fact that Tesco have a legal obligation *not* to give
you free carrier bags. There method of fulfilling that obligation by
asking for a formal declaration is perhaps a little weak, but to do or
say nothing would be to drive a coach and horses through our whales'
only possible salvation. Had I been around you might have had this
explained to you.

If Tescos are legally obliged to ask me to deny the possession of one
specific product, then why not more obvious products such as water. As
it rains rather a lot in Broughton and one tends to get covered in the
stuff, then sureley it would be more appropriate to ask if a customer
had helped themselves to the Volvic?

As I pointed out to Tescos's idiot, I was less in need of a 50" TV at
the time, so why not bring that up as a specific.

Secndly, bullying shop staff is not very attractive behaviour.

I did not bully the idiot. I do often have differences of opinion with
all manner of people both as a member of the public and
professionally. I bully no one. I am more than happy to let the stupid
morons carry on blindly in whatever fashion they wish.

I also tend to use the linguisic niceties, that are so lacking now.

Disagreeing with an idiot is not bullying.

There's a fine line between fishing
and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/15/2019 8:00 PM, R D S wrote:
On 15/08/2019 19:33, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:46:48 +0100, R D S wrote:
Whatever, i'd love to see the back of them and have manned tills
instead.

Sexist bas***d :-)

Dammit!

Obviously I meant personned.

* Or perdaughtered...

Staffed is good.

Yes.

But discriminates against contract workers

Or volunteers in a charity shop :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 13:01:40 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

[...]

You might have had better grounds for complaint in our local Co-op,
which still makes one declare the number, or absence, of disposable bags
used even though for over a year they have neither provided nor stocked
such bags. As a co-owner, however, I endure this on the grounds you
can't get the IT staff nowadays, for some reason.

That is the problem :-)

The people that write the software foruse by real people don't get out
at all!

I had a new Mazda some years back, first day out.

Remote unmanned secure site and I left the car for five mins to give
an instrument a tweak.

There were a few flies about, so I closed the car door with the keys
still in the ignition.

Returned to the Mazda to find it locked!

What dumb idiot would find it useful to add that ridiculous feature?

I had to wait hours on site for someone to come with a key!

Bloody junk.

Useless car anyway, the turbo's packed up all the time, wrecking the
engine in the process.