Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Self service checkouts in B&Q

Brian Gaff wrote

I don't think either the tech or the humans are quite ready for this yet.

Works fine for me. I've only had two glitches. One where they stopped
weighing the output side so its now not hard to accidentally scan the
same item twice, but easy to avoid when you know of the problem.

The other one was just because someone had ****ed up
updating the database so that veg item wasn’t selectable.

The way to go is the Amazon way in the states where the cameras and other
sensors can keep track of what you get and charge you with no interaction
whatsoever.

But it remains to be seen how well that works when
you change your mind about wanting something etc.

The best of ours even manages to get the barcode
off the tiny sticker on stuff like nectarines so you
don’t even have to tell it what veg it is anymore,
just out the bag of nectarines you have filled from
the bin of them loose on the scales and its all auto.

Doesn’t work for stuff like iceberg lettuce or potatoes
that don’t have the tiny sticker on the loose items tho.

"R D S" wrote in message
B'bye!

Our local B&Q have binned them off, took a long time for them to admit
it, but they have, they aren't helping anybody!

Sainsbury's, are you watching?