Old May 15th 19, 12:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's available to remotely switch a power circuit?

We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like lamps,
PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely by
somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to leave
the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

It doesn't need to be long range, just across a room and I'd really
prefer something mains powered rather than battery powered. We don't
want to have to select what to turn off either, it just needs an
on/off switch (with specific on and off positions, need to know it's
off) to turn off all of the sockets on the particular circuit.

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not some
sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a normal
light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

--
Chris Green
·

Old May 15th 19, 12:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/05/2019 12:24, Chris Green wrote:
We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like lamps,
PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely by
somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to leave
the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

It doesn't need to be long range, just across a room and I'd really
prefer something mains powered rather than battery powered. We don't
want to have to select what to turn off either, it just needs an
on/off switch (with specific on and off positions, need to know it's
off) to turn off all of the sockets on the particular circuit.

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not some
sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a normal
light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

A switched spur exactly meets your needs, but you'd need to do quite a
lot of new wiring to install it.

I'm quite surprised to hear that Qinetic switches don't work 100%.

Old May 15th 19, 12:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you have wi-fi available then you could choose from a whole range of
smart plugs and control them via mobile app from anywhere, with feedback.
Argos have the tp-link ones for £20 at the moment, and I have a couple
for controlling things various and can vouch for quality.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6254269

Andy
Old May 15th 19, 02:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The Quinetic Remote Socket Adaptor with a 4/6 way plug board really is
your best bet .
By "guaranteed to maintain on/off position" do you mean 0% chance of it
being switched by external interference ? If so I dont think any remote
switch is.
If you mean the ON and OFF positions of the switch occasionally reverse,
then I have had this happen with a 2 gang light switch very occasionally.
Its usually easy to remedy - put the switch in the required OFF
position, remove power to the remote adaptor or circuit being controlled
, switch power back on.
Another way is to remove the switch out of range and set to correct
position.
Old May 15th 19, 02:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 12:24, Chris Green wrote:
We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like lamps,
PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely by
somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to leave
the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

The other possibility is to use one of the smart slave N way sockets
with a master socket intended for TV/PC so that one off all off.

It doesn't need to be long range, just across a room and I'd really
prefer something mains powered rather than battery powered. We don't
want to have to select what to turn off either, it just needs an
on/off switch (with specific on and off positions, need to know it's
off) to turn off all of the sockets on the particular circuit.

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not some
sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a normal
light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

The snag with all of the ethernet smart devices is that every now and
then they get screwed up and/or fib about their status. Usually nothing
that cannot be fixed by power cycling and they are mostly fine, but
every now and then they either fail to come on when commanded or stay on
when told to switch off despite the mimic diagram showing them off.

Depending on how paranoid you are most of the stuff on IOT can be pretty
easily hacked by anyone motivated to do so. They are not 100% reliable
but they are probably around the 98% mark if you choose wisely.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old May 15th 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like lamps,
PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely by
somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to leave
the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

Can you put all of them on the same circuit? Via multi-way extensions,
etc? Otherwise it's going to cost you a lot in individual controllers.

I have a couple of plug in remote controlled sockets. Rated at 13 amps.
Both work from the same remote control. Used for Xmas lighting.

BTW, not a good idea to power down PCs etc by simply switching them off?

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 15th 19, 04:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course one could use a relay on the lighting circuit as unless you want
to be in the dark if the switch is already there, using a relay should be
fine.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old May 15th 19, 04:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the abort switch on launching a missile that failed could be very
expensive!
Brian

--
----- --

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 May 2019 12:42:50 +0100, GB wrote:

[...]

Conversely I am totally unsurprised. I wouldn't trust *any* consumer-
grade wireless equipment. WiFi, bluetooth, proprietary zappers. None has
been 100% reliable. I can see where the money goes on military kit, if
they have to be 100% reliable.

Old May 15th 19, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 14:31, Martin Brown wrote:

The snag with all of the ethernet smart devices is that every now and
then they get screwed up and/or fib about their status. Usually nothing
that cannot be fixed by power cycling and they are mostly fine, but
every now and then they either fail to come on when commanded or stay on
when told to switch off despite the mimic diagram showing them off.

I haven't seen that with the TP link ones.
The mimic works when you press the manual button too.
And Alex can show the states.

You can always use Sonoff stuff which you can load custom firmware on if
you want to.

Depending on how paranoid you are most of the stuff on IOT can be pretty
easily hacked by anyone motivated to do so. They are not 100% reliable
but they are probably around the 98% mark if you choose wisely.

IME well over 98%.
Old May 15th 19, 05:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 13:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

IME military kit is not necessarily any more reliable. All you can
usually hope for is it will work at a wider temperature range, and be
designed to let you hose the remains of the previous operator off it
with no ill effects!

--
Cheers,

John.

need to power cycle modem remotely Bill Wright[_3_] UK diy 51 February 1st 19 01:56 PM
OT helping elderly person with their Android tablet remotely Murmansk UK diy 4 December 28th 14 02:47 PM
Initiate a phone call remotely? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 56 December 11th 12 12:20 AM
Remotely Controlled Mower John UK diy 2 June 11th 08 04:14 PM
Security Camera Kit Remotely Viewable over the Internet ! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 26th 07 05:19 PM