Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default What's available to remotely switch a power circuit?

GB wrote:
On 15/05/2019 12:24, Chris Green wrote:
We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like lamps,
PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely by
somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to leave
the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

It doesn't need to be long range, just across a room and I'd really
prefer something mains powered rather than battery powered. We don't
want to have to select what to turn off either, it just needs an
on/off switch (with specific on and off positions, need to know it's
off) to turn off all of the sockets on the particular circuit.

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not some
sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a normal
light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

A switched spur exactly meets your needs, but you'd need to do quite a
lot of new wiring to install it.

By 'remote' I meant no wiring between switch and controlled circuit.
Yes, obviously I could simply wire things to do what we want.

I'm quite surprised to hear that Qinetic switches don't work 100%.

They do in the main, however they are just 'toggles', click the switch
and the remote circuit will change state, there's no guarantee of 'up
= off'.

--
Chris Green
ยท