Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default What's available to remotely switch a power circuit?

In article , Jeff Layman
wrote:
On 15/05/19 21:40, Chris Green wrote:
Robert wrote:
On 15/05/2019 12:24, Chris Green wrote:
We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like
lamps, PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely
by somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to
leave the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

It doesn't need to be long range, just across a room and I'd really
prefer something mains powered rather than battery powered. We don't
want to have to select what to turn off either, it just needs an
on/off switch (with specific on and off positions, need to know it's
off) to turn off all of the sockets on the particular circuit.

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not
some sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a
normal light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

The Quinetic Remote Socket Adaptor with a 4/6 way plug board really
is your best bet . By "guaranteed to maintain on/off position" do you
mean 0% chance of it being switched by external interference ? If so I
dont think any remote switch is. If you mean the ON and OFF positions
of the switch occasionally reverse, then I have had this happen with a
2 gang light switch very occasionally. Its usually easy to remedy -
put the switch in the required OFF position, remove power to the
remote adaptor or circuit being controlled , switch power back on.
Another way is to remove the switch out of range and set to correct
position.

Exactly my problem with the Quinetic switches. If there's no obvious
way to tell if you've turned everything off then there's a (small) risk
that you may have turned everything on! I know it's easy to reset them
but you have to know which way they're working before you know they
need resetting.

What's the difficulty with just plugging in a light (or anything which
has a power-on light) to see if the power is on or not?

no good if you're away from home, You need a surveillance camera to tell
you what you've done.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England