Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to the discontinued Screwfix Turbo Ultra stainless screws

Screwfix have discontinued their Turbo Ultra stainless steel screws
and I'm looking for alternatives - without much success at the moment.

While Turbo Ultra screws weren't perfect (it is easy to damage the
heads and also to shear them in hard[ish] wood) they were my preferred
screws for general outdoor use. As I said, I'm looking for
alternatives now as my stocks of Turbo Ultra run out. Requirements
a-

Stainless (obviously)
A2 is fine, A4 would be OK but more expensive I think

Easy driving without pilot hole
This is the real stumbling block with most alternatives, the deep
thread and 'rifling' with a cutting groove at the point seems to
be very rare in stainless.

Pozidriv for preference
Not vital, Torx or square would be OK, but pozi is 'easier to
find' in dark inaccessible places.

Good range of sizes, especially in 5mm
I'm getting very short of 5x60, 5x70 and 5x80 screws in particular.

The best alternative I've found so far are Axminster's Woodspur A4
stainless screws but: A4/expensive, not pozi and not available in 5x70
or 5x80 (or larger).

Any suggestions anyone?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2019 18:33, Chris Green wrote:

Any suggestions anyone?

Toolstation do a load of Spax SS screws but I wouldn't call them cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 18/02/2019 18:33, Chris Green wrote:

Any suggestions anyone?

Toolstation do a load of Spax SS screws but I wouldn't call them cheap.

No, they're not [cheap] are they! ... and I don't think they have the
'cutter' tip.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

Any suggestions anyone?

Fischer Power-Fast Stainless Steel Woodscrews?

https://www.ukstainless.co.uk/fische...oodscrews.html

I got some ordinary passivated zinc Power-Fast screws recently and liked
them. Link above was the first site at which I found stainless steel ones
- no idea how they compare with other sources. They go up to 5.0 x 100
at that site.

Have to admit, for my purposes so far, I have drilled a pilot hole so they
go exactly where I want them, so do not know what they are like to drive
without.

They look like a possibility, thanks, but they are quite expensive.

I've just discovered that screwfix.de have quite a lot of Turbo Ultra
available still, at knock-down prices. Maybe I should take a short
trip to Germany!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

checked your local B&Q for clearance stock?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 February 2019 21:33:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

Any suggestions anyone?

Fischer Power-Fast Stainless Steel Woodscrews?

https://www.ukstainless.co.uk/fische...oodscrews.html

I got some ordinary passivated zinc Power-Fast screws recently and liked
them. Link above was the first site at which I found stainless steel ones
- no idea how they compare with other sources. They go up to 5.0 x 100
at that site.

Have to admit, for my purposes so far, I have drilled a pilot hole so they
go exactly where I want them, so do not know what they are like to drive
without.

They look like a possibility, thanks, but they are quite expensive.

I've just discovered that screwfix.de have quite a lot of Turbo Ultra
available still, at knock-down prices. Maybe I should take a short
trip to Germany!

Yes - price is definitely an issue but I couldn't remember Turbo Ultra prices to make a comparison. Other stockists might be less expensive - there is considerable variation of the prices for the yellow ones.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 21:21:42 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

polygonum_on_google wrote:

Any suggestions anyone?

Fischer Power-Fast Stainless Steel Woodscrews?

https://www.ukstainless.co.uk/fische...oodscrews.html

I got some ordinary passivated zinc Power-Fast screws recently and liked
them. Link above was the first site at which I found stainless steel ones
- no idea how they compare with other sources. They go up to 5.0 x 100
at that site.

Have to admit, for my purposes so far, I have drilled a pilot hole so they
go exactly where I want them, so do not know what they are like to drive
without.

They look like a possibility, thanks, but they are quite expensive.

I've just discovered that screwfix.de have quite a lot of Turbo Ultra
available still, at knock-down prices. Maybe I should take a short
trip to Germany!

I used a lot of these when I built a shed. Into softwood, 4 mm pilot hole,
had several screwless heads - they do seem to be rather weak.
Another snag is that when removing an Ultra it brings out a lot of wood. Due
to this I tried to pick up the same thread when replacing the screw - not
easy, due to the irregular shape - and then had to be careful tightening it
as the thread left in the wood was weakened.
Pity that these aren't stainless:
https://www.toolstation.com/reisser-...i-screw/p67276
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Pity that these aren't stainless:
https://www.toolstation.com/reisser-...i-screw/p67276

Reisser do stainless screws called Retinox, but they're not twinthread,
probably not cheap either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws, they
probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to find this
a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it was then
available from another distributor.
No idea how this gets to be, suspect its all to do with costs and mark up.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Pity that these aren't stainless:
https://www.toolstation.com/reisser-...i-screw/p67276

Reisser do stainless screws called Retinox, but they're not twinthread,
probably not cheap either.

I (OP) have some of them, sort of middling prices and they're OK but
not as good as Turbo Ultra in many ways. For a given diameter they
appear very thin and have no sort of rifling/cutting point.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws, they
probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to find this
a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it was then
available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Pity that these aren't stainless:
https://www.toolstation.com/reisser-...i-screw/p67276

Reisser do stainless screws called Retinox, but they're not twinthread,
probably not cheap either.

I (OP) have some of them, sort of middling prices and they're OK but
not as good as Turbo Ultra in many ways. For a given diameter they
appear very thin and have no sort of rifling/cutting point.

I always prefer to pre-drill a hole. It saves the wood plitting

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws, they
probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to find
this
a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it was then
available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except
in the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of trademarks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 05:15:46 +1100, 2987fr, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except
in the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of trademarks.

Nonsense, senile idiot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws,
they probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the
zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to
find this a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it
was then available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except in
the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of trademarks.

And I think he really means copyright, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws,
they probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the
zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to
find this a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it
was then available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except in
the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of trademarks.

And I think he really means copyright, anyway.

I'd expect registered design

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-design

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws,
they probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the
zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to
find this a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it
was then available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except in
the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of trademarks.

And I think he really means copyright, anyway.

Trouble with that line is the copyright is free. You just have to claim it.

He actually means a registered design which isnt necessarily that cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws,
they probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by
the zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to
find this a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it
was then available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One
does wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark
rights over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except
in the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of
trademarks.

And I think he really means copyright, anyway.

I'd expect registered design

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-design

Yes, that's it. Thought it wasn't quite right, but I knew it wasn't a
trademark!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 08:12:01 +1100, 2987fr, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

And I think he really means copyright, anyway.

Trouble with that line is the copyright is free. You just have to claim it.

He actually means a registered design which isnt necessarily that cheap.

Oh, just shut your stupid senile gob finally, you useless lonely senile
cretin!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You know, I very much doubt if Screw thingy make their own screws, they
probably buy them in from some company that supplies them by the zillion.
Often they can pop up elsewhere under different brands. II used to find
this
a lot when I could see. The sheds stopped something but it was then
available from another distributor.

Yes, but I've never seen any screws that look at all like Screwfix's
Turbo Gold or Turbo Ultra, they're immediately recognisable. One does
wonder if Screwfix are big enough to demand sort of trade mark rights
over these designs.

Trade marks have nothing to do with the size of the operation except
in the sense that the bigger operations can afford the cost of trademarks.

I did say "sort of trade mark", what I meant was that Screwfix are
maybe big enough to demand that suppliers don't supply the same screws
to other sellers.

As I said I've certainly never seen anything that looks like either
TurboGold or TurboUltra screws except the real thing.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

It has nothing to do with trademarks and it doesnt work like that.

As I said I've certainly never seen anything that looks like either
TurboGold or TurboUltra screws except the real thing.

Sure, but thats a separate issue to whether Screwfix has monstered anyone
into not producing any like that. Its easy to have a registered design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 03:35 am in Australia ...and the Senile Ozzie Cretin is already up and Trolling! LOL

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 03:35:14 +1100, 2987fr, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

03:35 am in Australia, AGAIN, you abnormal senile troll? BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."