Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Turbo Gold Coach Screws II

Hi All

Bought myself a Wickes 'Very High Torque Drill' today. I have 3 big decking
jobs to do so, I thought I'd make the investment & spread the cost. I can
use it as a mixer and with a core drill for plumbing as well.

Drives in those 10mm x 100mm coach screws so fast you wouldn't believe it.
Treats them with utter contempt.

Torque quoted as 85 Nm. Jeez this thing is powerful.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Bought myself a Wickes 'Very High Torque Drill' today. I have 3 big decking
jobs to do so, I thought I'd make the investment & spread the cost. I can
use it as a mixer and with a core drill for plumbing as well.

Drives in those 10mm x 100mm coach screws so fast you wouldn't believe it.
Treats them with utter contempt.

Torque quoted as 85 Nm. Jeez this thing is powerful.

It's you littering the landscape with decking then is it? :-)
My neighbour has just had what looks like a concert platform built
outside her back door, and that's to save removing the pebbles, which
are just soooo 2005!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glad to hear you've got it sorted, and no more trying to drive wheel
nuts with 3.6V screwdrivers either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bought myself a Wickes 'Very High Torque Drill' today. I have 3 big
decking jobs to do so, I thought I'd make the investment & spread
the cost. I can use it as a mixer and with a core drill for
plumbing as well. Drives in those 10mm x 100mm coach screws so fast you
wouldn't
believe it. Treats them with utter contempt.

Torque quoted as 85 Nm. Jeez this thing is powerful.

It's you littering the landscape with decking then is it? :-)
My neighbour has just had what looks like a concert platform built
outside her back door, and that's to save removing the pebbles, which
are just soooo 2005!

I understood decking was so last century!

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

Bought myself a Wickes 'Very High Torque Drill' today.

Is this the one with the angle attachment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . uk...
Hi All

Bought myself a Wickes 'Very High Torque Drill' today.

Is this the one with the angle attachment?

No.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . uk...
Hi All

Bought myself a Wickes 'Very High Torque Drill' today.

Is this the one with the angle attachment?

No.

Wrong move then. You should have bought a Ryobi Impact Driver. Take it
back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We will be having a FAQ on the virtues of buying a Crap Wickes/Kress high
torque driver now with all your new found expertise.

"I tried with my 14.4v driver (loads of torque)" so this statement was based
on what a Lidl special

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alex" wrote in message
news
We will be having a FAQ on the virtues of buying a Crap Wickes/Kress high
torque driver now with all your new found expertise.

Maybe this FAQ should state what makes are crap. If it does you will find
that Kress will not be in the list. Kress are a quality German maker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alex wrote:
We will be having a FAQ on the virtues of buying a Crap Wickes/Kress
high torque driver now with all your new found expertise.

If I find a solution to a problem I like to post it - someone else may want
to know.

"I tried with my 14.4v driver (loads of torque)" so this statement
was based on what a Lidl special

Alas no - it was a Wickes/Kress 14.4v 2a/h grey jobbie with gears - it does
have loads of torque!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong move then. You should have bought a Ryobi Impact Driver. Take
it back.

Can't use an Impact Driver for mixing plaster or driving a core bit.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong move then. You should have bought a Ryobi Impact Driver. Take
it back.

Can't use an Impact Driver for mixing plaster or driving a core bit.

Yon use a cheapo tool for that sort of crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong move then. You should have bought a Ryobi Impact Driver. Take
it back.

Can't use an Impact Driver for mixing plaster or driving a core bit.

Yon use a cheapo tool for that sort of crap.

Mixing plaster will burn out a cheap drill faster than anything
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong move then. You should have bought a Ryobi Impact Driver. Take
it back.

Can't use an Impact Driver for mixing plaster or driving a core bit.

Yon use a cheapo tool for that sort of crap.

Mixing plaster will burn out a cheap drill faster than anything

There are dedicated plaster mixing drills. Made for the high torque low
speed. I have seen some around that are now on the cheap side. A cheapo
SDS drill with chuck would do (power a low speed).

My point is horses for courses. The OP is on about large wood screws. An
Impact Driver is the ideal tool for that job, and in the past year have come
down to affordable prices, and you can also drill wood with it. Many are so
small they can get between joists to drill holes for cable and pipes. No
chuck, just slot in driver heads or drill bits.

If I was a handyman I would not be without an Impact Driver. It is like an
SDS drill, once you have used one you never go back.

The best general purpose drill is the Wickes (Kress) drill with the angle
converter, which slots in, in seconds. The chuck can be removes within
seconds and hex bits and drivers inserted. The angle attachment gets in
real close and also has a hex slot, so you don't even need the chuck on that
either, but can have it on. 3 yr guarantee too.

Price up a good quality angle drill and general purpose battery drill, then
the Kress makes lots of sense. Top quality tool too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Torque quoted as 85 Nm. Jeez this thing is powerful.

Not bad. 12v impact drivers are in the 100-120 Nm range. And are
light, compact, have no (or little) torque reaction and are better than
drill/drivers for normal screwdriving as well as things like this. No
cam-out is another advantage (although they explode bits instead).

I know the 'wrong' person is championing them on here, but he's dead
right on this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

I know the 'wrong' person is championing them on here, but he's dead
right on this.

If this person wrong, then how come he is right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

If this person wrong, then how come he is right?

Random chance on the chimp/typewriter principle?

Or that, just as no-one can be right about everything, so no-one can be
wrong about everything.

Or you are just a local folk-devil.

I don't know and don't care - but you are right about impact drivers,
although I'm not smitten with Ryobi at all (bar the price I suppose).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bolted" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If this person wrong, then how come he is right?

Random chance on the chimp/typewriter principle?

Do you mean you just randomly just typed things? Wow. What part of Little
Middle England are you from?

Or you are just a local folk-devil.

Do you have them in Little Middle England

but you are right about impact drivers,

I know I am. I am right about everything.

although I'm not smitten with Ryobi at all

I am.

Wanted - antique coach screws [email protected] UK diy 8 April 28th 06 08:56 PM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
speaker wire habbi Metalworking 126 March 14th 05 10:49 PM
Help finding odd screws Eric Pearson Metalworking 13 April 5th 04 12:02 PM
china gold leaf arts !! Zhao Bioa Woodworking 0 January 14th 04 06:14 AM