Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a tap top

I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may get
the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw in
the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge the
tap head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the head and
the body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no success.
Annoyingly I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to the basin, so
I can't take the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

There's a slight crack in the Twyfords Ceramant basin (which I think was
fitted when the house was built in the 1930s) so maybe it's time to look
for a replacement :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes. I remember the day in the 1960s when somebody was using the basin to
have a wash, and the whole thing fell into two pieces with no warning at ll.
One half held up by the drain the other went sideways and fractured the hot
water pipe. Not what you want at 7 am in the morning. I It rested on two
wall brackets but once the split occurred of course it kind of fell through
the middle!. Rush to loft to turn off hot water feed and mopped up with
much swearing.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 31/01/2019 21:13,
wrote:
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may get
the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw in
the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge the tap
head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the head and the
body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no success. Annoyingly
I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to the basin, so I can't take
the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

There's a slight crack in the Twyfords Ceramant basin (which I think was
fitted when the house was built in the 1930s) so maybe it's time to look
for a replacement :-(

They can be bloody tight. DAMHIK. I'd put my big propane torch on it but
TBH you are probably right to think about replacing the lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may
get the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw
in the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge
the tap head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the
head and the body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no
success. Annoyingly I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to
the basin, so I can't take the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

There's a slight crack in the Twyfords Ceramant basin (which I think
was fitted when the house was built in the 1930s) so maybe it's time
to look for a replacement

Not much help to you, but.
I have a kitchen tap about 8 years old. Crossheaded top. One of
the"spokes" ? fell out. I tried to remove the top and could not do
it. Top of tap removed and the screw removed, the crosshead top
would not budge. Out come British Gas - I'm insured - not my idea.
Seems that the top of the tap and the rest of the tap are all one
unit and have to be replaced with a completely new assembly.

Bri**** Gas "operatives" condemning kit & selling you new? Shurely
shome mishtake?

Nope, he did not even try to sell me anything.

He replaced it for nothing? Or he did nothing?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 12:39:33 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Not much help to you, but.
I have a kitchen tap about 8 years old. Crossheaded top. One of the"spokes"
? fell out. I tried to remove the top and could not do it. Top of tap
removed and the screw removed, the crosshead top would not budge. Out come
British Gas - I'm insured - not my idea.
Seems that the top of the tap and the rest of the tap are all one unit and
have to be replaced with a completely new assembly.

Same thing happened to me. Moved into new house and inherited a leaky kitchen mixer tap. Bought two new tap bodies from Wilkos, but after taking out the screw found out that the spindle was seized on. After our lass went mad at me braying hell out of it, she called out a plumber at £150 a pop! He had to hammer it as well, but she did not moan at him as he knows what he is doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2987fr wrote:
[...]

Unlikely to be true of one which has a screw in the side of the head.

Indeed. But why the tap top has the usual screw going into the body of the
valve puzzles me as it does not seem to be doing anything.

Unlikely that it isn't actually doing anything.