Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Removing a tap top

On 01/02/2019 08:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
explained :
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may
get the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw
in the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge
the tap head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the
head and the body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no
success. Annoyingly I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to the
basin, so I can't take the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

A loop of string/ tiewraps hooked over the head arms, then a hammer
through the loop. Gently hammer up against the loop, until it moves.
When it moves, knock it back down with a mallet - repeat until it comes
off.

I tried wedges on my bath taps, but could not budge them - the above
method worked.

I once purchased a set of no-name taps from a Ebay seller which lasted
about 2 years before one of them started to drip. In the end I had to
replace them as no matter how much brute force applied with long handled
spanners, heat and cursing, with the tap held in a vice, would persuade
it to undo. i did wonder given the low cost of the taps if they had been
designed/manufactured never to be serviced.