Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Removing a tap top

Jim K.. wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" Wrote in message:
wrote:
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may
get the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw
in the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge
the tap head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the
head and the body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no
success. Annoyingly I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to
the basin, so I can't take the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

There's a slight crack in the Twyfords Ceramant basin (which I think
was fitted when the house was built in the 1930s) so maybe it's time
to look for a replacement

Not much help to you, but.
I have a kitchen tap about 8 years old. Crossheaded top. One of
the"spokes" ? fell out. I tried to remove the top and could not do
it. Top of tap removed and the screw removed, the crosshead top
would not budge. Out come British Gas - I'm insured - not my idea.
Seems that the top of the tap and the rest of the tap are all one
unit and have to be replaced with a completely new assembly.

Bri**** Gas "operatives" condemning kit & selling you new? Shurely
shome mishtake?

Nope, he did not even try to sell me anything.