Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Removing a tap top

2987fr wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may
get the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw
in the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge
the tap head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the
head and the body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no
success. Annoyingly I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to
the basin, so I can't take the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

There's a slight crack in the Twyfords Ceramant basin (which I think
was fitted when the house was built in the 1930s) so maybe it's time
to look for a replacement

Not much help to you, but.
I have a kitchen tap about 8 years old. Crossheaded top. One of
the"spokes" ? fell out. I tried to remove the top and could not do
it. Top of tap removed and the screw removed, the crosshead top
would not budge. Out come British Gas - I'm insured - not my idea.
Seems that the top of the tap and the rest of the tap are all one
unit and have to be replaced with a completely new assembly.

Unlikely to be true of one which has a screw in the side of the head.

Indeed. But why the tap top has the usual screw going into the body of the
valve puzzles me as it does not seem to be doing anything.