Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Removing a tap top

Yes. I remember the day in the 1960s when somebody was using the basin to
have a wash, and the whole thing fell into two pieces with no warning at ll.
One half held up by the drain the other went sideways and fractured the hot
water pipe. Not what you want at 7 am in the morning. I It rested on two
wall brackets but once the split occurred of course it kind of fell through
the middle!. Rush to loft to turn off hot water feed and mopped up with
much swearing.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 31/01/2019 21:13,
wrote:
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may get
the better of me.
I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw in
the side of the head. The screw came out easily but I can't budge the tap
head. I've tried making wedges and tapping them between the head and the
body, and I've tried hot water over the head, but no success. Annoyingly
I can't even budge the nut securing the tap to the basin, so I can't take
the tap to the workbench.
Any ideas?

There's a slight crack in the Twyfords Ceramant basin (which I think was
fitted when the house was built in the 1930s) so maybe it's time to look
for a replacement :-(

They can be bloody tight. DAMHIK. I'd put my big propane torch on it but
TBH you are probably right to think about replacing the lot.