Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing (cross type) tap handle without removing headgear doesn't get me wet, right?

Very quick question: removing the (cross type) tap handle on a kitchen hot
tap, while leaving the headgear untouched, doesn't get me wet, right? I'm
wondering whether I can help an elderly friend of mine by changing the
skirt piece that covers the top of the headgear in two minutes flat without
going up into his loft.

Thanks!

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Harold Davis wrote :
Very quick question: removing the (cross type) tap handle on a kitchen hot
tap, while leaving the headgear untouched, doesn't get me wet, right? I'm
wondering whether I can help an elderly friend of mine by changing the
skirt piece that covers the top of the headgear in two minutes flat without
going up into his loft.

The cross, usually has a screw in from the side, though some have the
screw in line with the spindle. The cross might be well seized on, so
wood wedges between cover and cross might help, plus a soft mallet.

No need to turn the supply off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 21:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Harold Davis wrote :
Very quick question: removing the (cross type) tap handle on a kitchen
hot
tap, while leaving the headgear untouched, doesn't get me wet, right? I'm
wondering whether I can help an elderly friend of mine by changing the
skirt piece that covers the top of the headgear in two minutes flat
without
going up into his loft.

The cross, usually has a screw in from the side, though some have the
screw in line with the spindle.

many have the screw under the plug with the H or C logo embossed on it IME.

No need to turn the supply off.

+1

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Harold Davis, Iggy wrote:
Yep, you'll stay dry and can just replace the skirt and even handle all you
want.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1253445-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iggy m wrote in
:

replying to Harold Davis, Iggy wrote:
Yep, you'll stay dry and can just replace the skirt and even handle
all you want.

check the gland packing nut whilst you have the skirt off. Is it leaking
around the spindle?