Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Great Neck" tap wrench doesn't grip tap

I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are
they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are
they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Perce

It's hard for me to believe that even the cheapest tap handle in the
world wouldn't be designed to grip the square end. That feature is
pretty fundamental. Do you have prior tapping experience? Do you have a
pic? Pics I found online aren't close-ups of the business end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:17:41 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are
they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Perce

Call the company? If this is the company, they have a _Lifetime Tool
Promise_.

http://greatnecktools.com/lifetime_tool_promise
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

I think I see the problem. Do you see where is says "Great Neck" on the
tool or the package? Find one that does not say that and it will be a
better quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/11 04:27 pm, wrote:

I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tap wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

I think I see the problem. Do you see where is says "Great Neck" on the
tool or the package? Find one that does not say that and it will be a
better quality.

I have to agree. Great Neck tools are the worst of the worst tools I
have ever tried.

There seems to be 4 tool qualities.

1. Top quality Professional tools - best of all tools (but pricy)
2. Average quality - generally works well for the average homeowner.
3. Cheap imported stuff - Sells cheap, but is not good quality
4. Great Neck tools - Apparently these are the rejects from the cheap
imported category. They are rejected because they do not fit, grip,
or work, or are made out of materials that should heve been put in a
dumpster.

I will occasionally buy a cheap imported tool if I dont plan to use it
often, but I avoid "Great Neck" at all costs. They should not even be
allowed to sell that crap in the stores......

I knew I wasn't buying a super-quality product, but I did expect it to
survive for the three holes I needed to tap -- and it was on hand at
AutoZone. The chuck did grip the 7mm and 8mm taps OK. I am wondering
whether the chuck is the same as for the SAE set, whose smallest-size
tap is 1/4"; maybe that's just big enough that the chuck grips it OK.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 27, 8:17*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are
they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Perce

Tap wrenches come in different sizes for a range of tap sizes. The tap
wench you have problems with is likely the wrong size.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 6:17*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tap wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are
they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Perce

Great Neck = Made in China = highly variable quality in design &
manufacture.

Typically junk, not worth the gas or time to purchase.

Buy used on ebay or Craigslist,
you'll get better quality and keep the $'s in the US but not as
quickly available.

You can get it fast, right or cheap....pick two.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/11 01:28 pm, Joe wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:17 pm, "Percival P. wrote:
I bought a "Great Neck" Metric tape wrench set, but the wrench does not
grip a 6mm tap securely. The taps all have square ends, but there does
not seem to be anything in the wrench that is designed to mate with that
square end.

The "sure grip" chuck doesn't. Anybody familiar with these tools? Are
they normally OK (at least for occasional use)?

Tap wrenches come in different sizes for a range of tap sizes. The tap
wench you have problems with is likely the wrong size.

Since the wrench and the taps came together as a set, I would have
expected the wrench to be suitable for all the taps in the set. I am
familiar with the more conventional kind of tap wrench -- this kind of
thing:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_232603-1083-...ductId=1065077

but the set I bought has a different kind of wrench:

http://greatnecktools.com/products/show/TH6M

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

http://greatnecktools.com/products/show/TH6M

Perce

You *do* realize that only the square tip of the tap goes in that tap
handle, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/11 11:25 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

http://greatnecktools.com/products/show/TH6M

You *do* realize that only the square tip of the tap goes in that tap
handle, right?

Even the 8mm tap is barely gripped securely enough for use if I insert
only the square tip. There is an internal "step" in the handle (IOW,
there is a reduced diameter further in), and if the 7mm and 8mm taps are
inserted far enough that they are gripped by that reduced-diameter
section they are usable; the 6mm one is not,

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 07/29/11 11:25 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

http://greatnecktools.com/products/show/TH6M

You *do* realize that only the square tip of the tap goes in that tap
handle, right?

Even the 8mm tap is barely gripped securely enough for use if I insert
only the square tip. There is an internal "step" in the handle (IOW,
there is a reduced diameter further in), and if the 7mm and 8mm taps are
inserted far enough that they are gripped by that reduced-diameter
section they are usable; the 6mm one is not,

Perce

Taps *are* "barely gripped" by that style of tap handle. They won't
resist much pull-out force, but should withstand plenty of torque. I
don't know what internal step you're talking about, but every tap handle
I've ever seen of that general style works the same way, and that is to
insert only the square tip of the tap.