Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing plastic tap handle

I have a bath tap with an acrylic plastic handle. The handle is held in
place with a screw in the centre of the top. Above the screw there is a
recessed plastic disk (red or blue).

Any suggestion as to how I might remove these plastic disks without
damaging the handle or the disk. The disks have been there for some time
so no doubt held in place by a little grime.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/11/2015 14:31, Michael Chare wrote:
I have a bath tap with an acrylic plastic handle. The handle is held in
place with a screw in the centre of the top. Above the screw there is a
recessed plastic disk (red or blue).

Any suggestion as to how I might remove these plastic disks without
damaging the handle or the disk. The disks have been there for some time
so no doubt held in place by a little grime.

A sharp blade, and hope for the best.

This is one of life's mysteries, ie whether the people who design these
things think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:31:09 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Any suggestion as to how I might remove these plastic disks without
damaging the handle or the disk. The disks have been there for some time
so no doubt held in place by a little grime.

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert a
small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:40:21 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 04/11/2015 14:31, Michael Chare wrote:
I have a bath tap with an acrylic plastic handle. The handle is held in
place with a screw in the centre of the top. Above the screw there is a
recessed plastic disk (red or blue).

Any suggestion as to how I might remove these plastic disks without
damaging the handle or the disk. The disks have been there for some time
so no doubt held in place by a little grime.

A sharp blade, and hope for the best.

This is one of life's mysteries, ie whether the people who design these
things think.

You could try a small rubber sucker - the type used on old toy arrows.
Or maybe the disks have a screw thread and require unscrewing somehow.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:31:09 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Any suggestion as to how I might remove these plastic disks without
damaging the handle or the disk. The disks have been there for some time
so no doubt held in place by a little grime.

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert a
small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

Or the point of a scriber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 01:21:35 -0000, bm wrote:

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few

hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert

small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

Or the point of a scriber.

Scriber to remove cack along the join but not for pushing
in/levering. The pressures at points of contact are too high and the
plastic will deform.
The ideal tool is something thin, stiff and hard but not hard like
metal, hard like hard plastic. Trouble is thin, hard plastic tends
not to be very stiff.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2015 21:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:31:09 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Any suggestion as to how I might remove these plastic disks without
damaging the handle or the disk. The disks have been there for some time
so no doubt held in place by a little grime.

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert a
small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

I am in a hard water area, so the problem could well be limescale. I
will try some bleach. Thank you for the suggestion.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 12:10:21 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few

hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert

small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

I am in a hard water area, so the problem could well be limescale. I
will try some bleach. Thank you for the suggestion.

Bleach != Lime Scale Remover.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could try a small rubber sucker - the type used on old toy arrows.
Or maybe the disks have a screw thread and require unscrewing somehow.
--

or a stronger-type sucker with a lever can be found on a SatNav windscreen mount. Worked for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 16:54:05 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 12:10:21 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few

hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert

small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

I am in a hard water area, so the problem could well be limescale. I
will try some bleach. Thank you for the suggestion.

Bleach != Lime Scale Remover.

Vinegar works OK though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 16:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 12:10:21 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Clean the tops well and leave a damp cloth over them for a few

hours,
if your water is hard soak with dilute lime scale remover. Look
carefully for a recess along the edge of the cap into which insert

small bluntish flat blade screwdriver.

I am in a hard water area, so the problem could well be limescale. I
will try some bleach. Thank you for the suggestion.

Bleach != Lime Scale Remover.

OK I really meant:
'toilet cleaner
limescale remover