Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LR44 batteries - voltage

I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

The card reader was showing "Low Battery". Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load. See

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/silveroxide_appman.pdf

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".Â* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

Some Energizer alkaline LR44s with 2020 expiry date all read 1.57V
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load

My pinsentry was provided with alkaline cells, not silver oxide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:34:30 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load. See

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/silveroxide_appman.pdf

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

Did you try rubbing the new batteries? I'm also a Barclays customer
and I had some problems replacing the batteries. Unfortunately, I
cannot remember what the problem was but I think it was connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:42:59 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load

My pinsentry was provided with alkaline cells, not silver oxide.

I'm sure I used alkaline.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

If fresh, always more than its nominal figure.

Just measured one with a best before July 2014 date. 1.53v

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 July 2018 13:19:09 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:

I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

The card reader was showing "Low Battery". Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

Alkalines give 1.55v new. You already know that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".Â* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

I believe the LR44 is an alkaline battery with a terminal voltage of
1.5V. A SR44 is a silver oxide batter with a terminal voltage of 1.55V

The ones you have must be well past their sell by date, or kept in a
very warm place conducive to a significant self-discharge. There should
be a date on the batteries or packaging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:19:45 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Therese sound knackered. get your money back.
Brian

This can sometimes be a challenge with eBay, I believe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

I get mine from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042LPUIK/ £3.70 for 10
including postage. No problems.

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

!.5V nominal.

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".Â* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll replace
the reader.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Therese sound knackered. get your money back.
Brian

This can sometimes be a challenge with eBay, I believe.

I have succeeded in the past for something that was not delivered. I
once had to use the ebay resolution procedure but I think that was
because the seller lacked competence, he did not dispute my case.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load. See

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/silveroxide_appman.pdf

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".Â* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

Did you try rubbing the new batteries? I'm also a Barclays customer
and I had some problems replacing the batteries. Unfortunately, I
cannot remember what the problem was but I think it was connections.

Rings bells with me too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 22:56:15 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

I get mine from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042LPUIK/ £3.70 for 10
including postage. No problems.

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

!.5V nominal.

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll replace
the reader.

I thought of that but it offends my 'right to repair' principles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/18 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
On 30/07/2018 13:19, Michael Chare wrote:
I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

I get mine from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042LPUIK/ £3.70 for 10
including postage. No problems.

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471
1.30 1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

!.5V nominal.

The card reader was showing "Low Battery".Â* Fortunately after I rubbed
the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I
have been able to make my online bank payment.

Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll replace
the reader.

+1
That's what they did for me. Don't even have to go to a branch.
https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/onli...entry_replace/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2018 13:34, Martin Brown wrote:
A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load. See

Silver Oxide batteries would be SR44.

LR44 are normal lithium batteries, and should be about 1.55 volts
when fresh.

Beware of using LR44 in place of SR44 in an older film camera
because ony the SR44 batteries can deliver the current necessary
to activate the mirror-up and shutter. Expect many, many
pointless arguments with a holes at carboot sales who will try
and convince you that they are 'the same'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2018 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll replace
the reader.

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that
the LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account
in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin
then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/18 14:00, Andrew wrote:
On 30/07/2018 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll
replace the reader.

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that
the LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account
in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin
then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.

So you think that every chip and pin point in the world is tied to your
account? That is all the pin sentry is, a chip and pin reader.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:00:20 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 30/07/2018 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll
replace the reader.

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that the
LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account in any
way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin then they can
still hack your account with another pinsentry.

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/07/2018 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll replace
the reader.

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that
the LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account
in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin
then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.

As indeed you can use someone else's device to generate a code (except
I think one bank (HSBC?) uses a different system).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account
in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin
then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.

With my Barclays one, you also need your card. Thus they would need your
card, PIN, and logon details.

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:29:07 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.

Interestingly only a debit card. Barclaycards do not work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.

Interestingly only a debit card. Barclaycards do not work.

I'd say it would need to be the card associated with the account? You can
have a Barclaycard and no Barclay bank account.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 15:17:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.

Interestingly only a debit card. Barclaycards do not work.

I'd say it would need to be the card associated with the account? You can
have a Barclaycard and no Barclay bank account.

Actually, that must be right. The card reader does not need to be
associated but the (debit) card does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Richard smithski@btinternet.
com.invalid scribeth thus
On 31/07/18 14:00, Andrew wrote:
On 30/07/2018 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll
replace the reader.

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that
the LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account
in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin
then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.

So you think that every chip and pin point in the world is tied to your
account? That is all the pin sentry is, a chip and pin reader.

They still need your card!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/18 14:00, Andrew wrote:
On 30/07/2018 22:56, Max Demian wrote:
Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll
replace the reader.

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that
the LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account
in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin
then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.

So you think that every chip and pin point in the world is tied to your
account? That is all the pin sentry is, a chip and pin reader.

They still need your card!..

Really!? And I thought the chip came with fish. Better tell Andrew, eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.

Interestingly only a debit card. Barclaycards do not work.

I'd say it would need to be the card associated with the account? You can
have a Barclaycard and no Barclay bank account.

Barclaycard is a Credit card. Different standard to Debit cards. A
credit card won't work in a pin sentry device, as that is intended for
online banking. They also use pin sentries in my local Barclays branch
to do transactions over the counter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:27:29 +0100, Richard

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.

Interestingly only a debit card. Barclaycards do not work.

I'd say it would need to be the card associated with the account? You can
have a Barclaycard and no Barclay bank account.

Barclaycard is a Credit card. Different standard to Debit cards. A
credit card won't work in a pin sentry device, as that is intended for
online banking. They also use pin sentries in my local Barclays branch
to do transactions over the counter.

If you have two accounts / two debit cards, can you use the 'wrong'
debit card? Otherwise, it's easier than this (card needs to relate to
account, full stop).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
Barclaycard is a Credit card. Different standard to Debit cards. A
credit card won't work in a pin sentry device, as that is intended for
online banking. They also use pin sentries in my local Barclays branch
to do transactions over the counter.

If you have two accounts / two debit cards, can you use the 'wrong'
debit card? Otherwise, it's easier than this (card needs to relate to
account, full stop).

No. You need the debit card associated with the account - or rather you do
with Barclays. At home, that is.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2018 14:10, Richard wrote:
So you think that every chip and pin point in the world is tied to your
account? That is all the pin sentry is, a chip and pin reader.

The telecoms co i used to work for supplied us with
laptops installed with a Nortel VPN and an RSA key
and as far as I can remember each one was tied to the
laptop and needed a pin as well.

When logging in the device showed 5 bars and you had
to enter your pin before the 5th bar appeared so it
would synchronise with their server. Using a
collegues RSA key would not work without the matching pin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

The NatWest ones require your debit card too.

So do the Barclays ones, and the Natwest/Barclays cards and readers are
interoperable.

As I thought. So the fact that the readers are interchangeable is not a
problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:19:04 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry
card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30
1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

Nominally, 1.5 volt but new cells typically show an extra 50 to 100mV
higher than this nominal 1.5v rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button...pe_designation

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 17:18:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
Barclaycard is a Credit card. Different standard to Debit cards. A
credit card won't work in a pin sentry device, as that is intended for
online banking. They also use pin sentries in my local Barclays branch
to do transactions over the counter.

If you have two accounts / two debit cards, can you use the 'wrong'
debit card? Otherwise, it's easier than this (card needs to relate to
account, full stop).

No. You need the debit card associated with the account - or rather you do
with Barclays. At home, that is.

Thanks. MIne is Barclays and the original question related to
Barclays, so I think that is the question answered.

Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to testNiMH batteries? Amanda Riphnykhazova Electronics Repair 24 October 27th 13 07:33 PM
Alternative Battery LR44 Bob La Londe[_2_] Metalworking 52 December 18th 11 02:10 PM
LR44 batteries. Michael A. Terrell Metalworking 20 January 19th 11 09:06 PM
LR44/SR44 Cydrome Leader Metalworking 9 July 4th 08 07:30 PM
Real difference between LR44 and SR44 button cells? Info please Jax Electronics Repair 5 January 18th 06 12:52 AM