Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LR44 batteries.

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

Teflon coated.

I just got 100 Maxell brand for $7 delivered on eBay. I've had issues with
the no-names. The problem with having a bunch of them is they disappear
quickly for some reason.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 16, 2:02*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
* *I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. *I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

Teflon coated.

Don foreman posted this in 2006:-

There are two chemistries that the batteries fitting these calipers
use. One is called alkaline and the other is silver oxide. The LR44
battery is the alkaline type and the SR44 is the silver oxide type.
Many battery packages will say that the LR44 can be used instead of
the SR44. This is true but the LR44 voltage drops quickly whereas the
SR44 doesn't. The caliper thinks the battery is dead when the voltage
drops below a certain level. So even though the caliper won't work, or
has a flashing display, the LR44 battery will still work in an LED
light or similar application. I have found that even my Mitutoyo
calipers get about 45 days with the LR44 battery. The SR44 batteries
will run the same calipers for about 20 months. I'm pretty sure the
LR44 will deliver more milliwats over its lifetime than the SR44 will,
just at a lower voltage.
ERS

LR44 and SR44 are both 150 mah cells, the difference is the voltage
droop on the alky LR44. SR44 is the same as 357/303. Energizer
also has a 357/303H that is 175 mah. 357's from some some other mfrs
are 165 mah. As Nick noted, there are cheap cells out there but they
have very poor life. Go name brand -- Energizer, Renata,
Varta,Duracell etc.

This was very interesting to me because I had been using the LR44
batteries in both my digital calipers and my bicycle computer and they
didn't seem to last very long. After switching to SR44 I have been a
happy camper.

Lewis

*****

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

I just got 100 Maxell brand for $7 delivered on eBay. I've had issues with
the no-names. The problem with having a bunch of them is they disappear
quickly for some reason.

These are 'Sunbeam'. I only buy a card or two at a time so if some
are bad, I'm out a buck. Also, I've seen fake brand name batteries as
well as old code date.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with the differences. Things like cheap thermometers
or those headband flashlights that are rarely used don't make sense to
buy the expensive cells. Use up 50 cents worth on a job, and put in
fresh ones the next time you need it. For me, it's about once a year.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:13:21 -0500, "Tom Gardner" gertk@lhu wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

Teflon coated.

I just got 100 Maxell brand for $7 delivered on eBay. I've had issues with
the no-names. The problem with having a bunch of them is they disappear
quickly for some reason.

Were those from HongKong or China?

--
Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the
tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that

Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation
of liberals whose default position in any argument is to
indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left
-- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data --
is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding
engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for
the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing
liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral
weakness and bad sociology. --George Will 14 JAN 2011
Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:29:15 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

I just got 100 Maxell brand for $7 delivered on eBay. I've had issues with
the no-names. The problem with having a bunch of them is they disappear
quickly for some reason.

These are 'Sunbeam'. I only buy a card or two at a time so if some
are bad, I'm out a buck. Also, I've seen fake brand name batteries as
well as old code date.

Beware!! of both Sunbeam and AC Delco D batteries!!

Ive had a significant number of both brands blow out and leak ...just
sitting on the storage shelf.

I buy a lot of batteries at the 99C Only Store..a local chain of decent
99c stores..and for years they have carried Varta brand..which were
superlative batteries, in the 3 common sizes..AAA, AA, Ds

They no longer carry them..carry the Sunbeams..as do the Dollar
Trees..and the batteries SUCK with loud slurping noises!!

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Were those from HongKong or China?

New York! And, delivery only took 3 days! (Don't worry, I'll PAY for
that!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just bought 50 on Ebay for $1.98- free shipping.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 03:02:15 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Sunbeam used to be a good brand but things started to go downhill in a
hurry. The second hand Sunbeam snow blower I bought in 1984 REALLY
sucked - didn't blow worth a damn!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

*Can* use either -- but the SR series lasts a lot longer.
Perhaps enough longer to make up for the difference in price.

I use the SR44 where it matters. Some gadgets don't.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:

I just bought 50 on Ebay for $1.98- free shipping.

Will you use 50 before they go bad? I needed one today, and was
already in the store. I find some sugar free food there, in brands that
sells for $3 to $5 in other stores.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Were those from HongKong or China?

New York! And, delivery only took 3 days! (Don't worry, I'll PAY for
that!)

You always do! ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news
I know a lot of things need Silver oxide SR44 but if you can use LR44
in anything, Dollar Tree stores have a card of eight for $1. I have
about a dozen gadgets that can use either.

I just got 100 Maxell brand for $7 delivered on eBay. I've had issues with
the no-names. The problem with having a bunch of them is they disappear
quickly for some reason.

These are 'Sunbeam'. I only buy a card or two at a time so if some
are bad, I'm out a buck. Also, I've seen fake brand name batteries as
well as old code date.

Beware!! of both Sunbeam and AC Delco D batteries!!

I've never seen AC Delco batteries.

Ive had a significant number of both brands blow out and leak ...just
sitting on the storage shelf.

There were some in a few gadgets that I've had a couple years, so i
thought I would try them. I've been using some Sunbeam CFL bulbs for a
couple years now, with no problems.

I buy a lot of batteries at the 99C Only Store..a local chain of decent
99c stores..and for years they have carried Varta brand..which were
superlative batteries, in the 3 common sizes..AAA, AA, Ds

They no longer carry them..carry the Sunbeams..as do the Dollar
Trees..and the batteries SUCK with loud slurping noises!!

Thanks for the warning.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I find those dime a dozen batteries to be worse than useless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-17, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Beware!! of both Sunbeam and AC Delco D batteries!!

I've never seen AC Delco batteries.

Depends on what you are interpreting the "AC" as meaning. IIRC,
when paired with Delco, it means (or used to mean) Allis-Chalmers, back
when Delco's name was associated with automotive parts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Jan 2011 02:59:52 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-01-17, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Beware!! of both Sunbeam and AC Delco D batteries!!

I've never seen AC Delco batteries.

Depends on what you are interpreting the "AC" as meaning. IIRC,
when paired with Delco, it means (or used to mean) Allis-Chalmers, back
when Delco's name was associated with automotive parts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

AC was NEVER Allis Chalmers when combined with Delco. IIRC it was
Albert Champion, of Champion Spark Plug fame.
He moved to Dayton Engineering Labotatories Co (DELCO) , founded by
Charles Kettering and Edward Deeds after they left National Cash
Register, and taken over by General Motors somewhere around 1909.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:

No....but considering the price, who cares?

That's why I just buy 8-10 at a time.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I dunno what the shelf life of the silver cells are, compared to the
alkaline chemistry, but the user often doesn't know how long ago the cells
were actually produced.
I avoid buying no-brand, low-priced/huge quantity button cells, as they're
likely to be of the worst quality, IMO.

I've found SR44s at reasonable prices maybe 6 on a card, and will buy
several cards if my remaining stock is short, when I see them.. I also mark
the cards with the month/year so when I'm going thru my stock I can see
which ones are older.
If I encounter older ones that are low, I'll just throw them away and select
a more recently purchased set/package.

For electronic calipers, and possibly other devices stored in a protective
case, there's often ample room in the case liner/foam to cut out extra round
holes to hold a couple of spare button cells (+ side up so they don't get
shorted).. this eliminates the need to go looking for/fetch fresh cells.

--
WB

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

[...]

The case for my digital calipers came with a place for a spare cell,
and a spare cell.

Teflon coated.

Batteries SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 2 May 20th 09 01:43 PM
LR44/SR44 Cydrome Leader Metalworking 9 July 4th 08 07:30 PM
Real difference between LR44 and SR44 button cells? Info please Jax Electronics Repair 5 January 18th 06 12:52 AM
Batteries David Lang UK diy 15 August 1st 05 08:24 AM
14.4v batteries David Lang UK diy 4 July 16th 05 12:35 PM