Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is happening with these electrics?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:13:33 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

What a stupid way to do it when you can just wire some test leads to a
proper plug and have safe insulated connections.

What a stupid way to feed the dumbest troll around, you rare idiot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:13:33 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 14/03/2018 20:59, some nutter wrote:

I'd push some prongs into the socket taken from a plug, but do it with
a pair of pliers incase some are wired up wrong and switching them off
leaves something live.Â* Now you can switch the socket on and touch the
meter ends to pairs of prongs in turn.

What a stupid way to do it when you can just wire some test leads to a
proper plug and have safe insulated connections.

A less hazardous "Quick 'n' Dirty" method is to use a 10A IEC 13/14
"Kettle Lead" as used for desktop PCs since the holes are just right for
the typical test meter lead prongs to be pushed into.

An even safer method is to use one of those auto-disconnect mains break
out boxes that you see Big Clive using when testing mains gadgets to
destruction. However, that costs money, whereas it's highly likely the
10A IEC "Kettle Lead" is already to hand. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All good suggestions and better than the way that I was doing it but a couple of questions.

Where are the holes on the kettle lead to push the test meter prongs into?
and
What is the test meter likely to tell me that my socket tester doesn't given that neither of them told me what my halogen heater tripping did?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just got it. The holes on the kettle lead are at the other end of the lead and not on the plug itself. Very good!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I have the kewcheck 107, it can check reversal (by using a finger as a
capacitive earth reference) also gives a R/A/G check of the earth loop,
and a basic RCD functionality check.

I cannot find any reference that it can do a NE reversal check.

You're right, it checks for upstream (e.g at meter) L/N reversal, not
N/E reversal.

http://www.kewtechcorp.com/sites/default/files/pdf/instruction_manuals/Loopcheck%20107%20A4%20manual.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 00:54:49 -0700 (PDT), Rednadnerb wrote:

I just got it. The holes on the kettle lead are at the other end of the
lead and not on the plug itself. Very good!

about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

"He is a well known attention seeking troll and every reply you
make feeds him.
Starts many threads most of which die quick as on the UK groups anyone
with sense Kill filed him ages ago which is why he now cross posts to
the US groups for a new audience.
This thread was unusual in that it derived and continued without him
to a large extent and his silly questioning is an attempt to get
noticed again."
MID:

ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your
stupidity."
MID:

AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...
You have been presented with a viewpoint with information, reasoning,
historical cases, citations and references to back it up and wilfully
ignore all going back to your idea which has no supporting information."
MID:

Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."
MID:

Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."
MID:

Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class
ass hole jerk. ...You fit under unconditional Idiot and should be put in
mental institution.
MID:

Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
MID:

DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."
MID:

Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."
MID:

Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
several parrots living in his hovel."
MID:

Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"
MID: 20170519215057.56a1f1d4@Mars

JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ
lower than your age, and I accept that as a reason for your comments."
MID: l-september.org

Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how
negative it may be."
MID:

asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"
MID:

Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):
"What are you resurrecting that old post of mine for? It's from last
month some time. You're like a dog who's just dug up an old bone they
hid in the garden until they were ready to have another go at it."
MID:

Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable
sponging failure who will always live alone and will die alone. You will not
be missed."
MID:

Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?
Only useful thing you've done in your pathetic existence."
MID:

about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious
mistake having him born alive -- A total waste of oxygen, food, space,
and bandwidth."
MID:

Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot
running water with loads of stinking cats and a few parrots."
MID:

francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"
MID:

Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
explain the concept of "invincible ignorance"."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2018 12:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.

Have you decided whether to replace the gnawed cable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually it is my sisters house. I will let them decide when they get back from their holiday next week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 05:14:52 -0700 (PDT), Rednadnerd wrote:

Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.

"Mr Wilkinson"??? LOL I wish YOU would stop posting, Rednabnerd!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rednadnerb wrote:
It's mice.

That a guess?

By a process of elimination I have narrowed the problem down to two
lengths of cable, both run under the hall floor.

Have you disconnected both sockets at either end of the suspect wiring so
it is totally isolated, then done tests on it?

Thank you all. I now just have to decide whether the occasional RCD trip
is worth taking up the floor boards for.

All to easy to think you've found the fault when you can't actually see it.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:06:47 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Rednadnerb wrote:
It's mice.

That a guess?

By a process of elimination I have narrowed the problem down to two
lengths of cable, both run under the hall floor.

Have you disconnected both sockets at either end of the suspect wiring
so it is totally isolated, then done tests on it?

Thank you all. I now just have to decide whether the occasional RCD
trip is worth taking up the floor boards for.

All to easy to think you've found the fault when you can't actually see
it.

See if any of the floorboard nails are live...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good point.
Yes it's a guess that it's mice.
No I haven't disconnected both ends and tested. I should do that.
I don't suppose it's something I can do with my multimeter?
I have a friend who has a Megger tester, I'll give him a call.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2018 12:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.

I wish you would quote the text you're replying to.

PHucker is in my killfile so all I see is your meaningless text.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, will do so in future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 8:54:50 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/03/2018 12:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.

I wish you would quote the text you're replying to.

PHucker is in my killfile so all I see is your meaningless text.

Oops, sorry I think I did it again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2018 11:21, Rednadnerb wrote:
On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 8:54:50 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/03/2018 12:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.

I wish you would quote the text you're replying to.

PHucker is in my killfile so all I see is your meaningless text.

Oops, sorry I think I did it again.

My apologies for being curt.

Usenet has few conventions but some (I'm one of the guilty parties) get
a little shirty if they're not followed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/03/2018 11:15, Rednadnerb wrote:
OK, will do so in future.

LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 13:09:56 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

PHucker is in my killfile so all I see is your meaningless text.

Oops, sorry I think I did it again.

My apologies for being curt.

Usenet has few conventions but some (I'm one of the guilty parties) get
a little shirty if they're not followed.

I wonder why people say "shirty". It's nothing to do with shirts.

Is there NO limit to your pathological trolling, you abnormal Scottish sow?

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 13:09:56 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:48:47 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 16/03/2018 11:21, Rednadnerb wrote:
On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 8:54:50 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/03/2018 12:14, Rednadnerb wrote:
Maybe Mr Wilkinson has a bad history but you are the one who I wish would stop posting.

I wish you would quote the text you're replying to.

PHucker is in my killfile so all I see is your meaningless text.

Oops, sorry I think I did it again.

My apologies for being curt.

Usenet has few conventions but some (I'm one of the guilty parties) get
a little shirty if they're not followed.

I wonder why people say "shirty". It's nothing to do with shirts.

It might have something to do with shirts.

The OED entry for "shirty" point to this use of "shirt":

"to get (a person's) shirt out", to cause him to lose his temper.
"to keep one's shirt on": to remain calm (orig. U.S.).

Perhaps, only perhaps, that might refer to a person removing his shirt
to fight.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

wrote:

[...]

How does removing your shirt make it easier to fight? Or is it to intimidate your enemy with your muscles?

I'll leave that to a fighter to answer.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

wrote:

[...]

It really is best not to feed the phuckerprick - troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:19:54 +0000, Peter Dunce [BrE] wrote:

It might have something to do with shirts.

The OED entry for "shirty" point to this use of "shirt":

"to get (a person's) shirt out", to cause him to lose his temper.
"to keep one's shirt on": to remain calm (orig. U.S.).

Perhaps, only perhaps, that might refer to a person removing his shirt
to fight.

Peter Hucker will only remove his pants to make you suck his cock time and
again, Dunce! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:46:42 +0000, Peter Dunce [BrE] wrote:

How does removing your shirt make it easier to fight? Or is it to
intimidate your enemy with your muscles?

I'll leave that to a fighter to answer.

Could it be that it's always GAYS that instinctively keep feeding this gay
wanking Hucker troll, like you keep doing, Dunce? Own up, you queer moron!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 08:14:34 -0000, Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I have the kewcheck 107, it can check reversal (by using a finger as a
capacitive earth reference) also gives a R/A/G check of the earth loop,
and a basic RCD functionality check.

I cannot find any reference that it can do a NE reversal check.

You're right, it checks for upstream (e.g at meter) L/N reversal, not
N/E reversal.

http://www.kewtechcorp.com/sites/default/files/pdf/instruction_manuals/Loopcheck%20107%20A4%20manual.pdf

So it's a piece of **** then?

The technical term for a piece of **** is "apprentice".

They cannot perform the simplest tasks you ask them to do (parents need
shooting).

There is nothing wrong with a 107 tester.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:18:52 -0000, Rednadnerb
wrote:

Good point.
Yes it's a guess that it's mice.
No I haven't disconnected both ends and tested. I should do that.
I don't suppose it's something I can do with my multimeter?
I have a friend who has a Megger tester, I'll give him a call.

Isn't that the same thing?

No

About as different as a cock and vagina.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

wrote:

[...]

Then why do I often see your reply to his posts, seemingly wetting your
pants whilst lamely trying to wind him up.

Have you nothing better to do yourself, or do you feel you should have a
monopoly of abusing PHucker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I have the kewcheck 107, it can check reversal (by using a finger as a
capacitive earth reference) also gives a R/A/G check of the earth
loop,
and a basic RCD functionality check.

I cannot find any reference that it can do a NE reversal check.

You're right, it checks for upstream (e.g at meter) L/N reversal, not
N/E reversal.

http://www.kewtechcorp.com/sites/default/files/pdf/instruction_manuals/Loopcheck%20107%20A4%20manual.pdf

So it's a piece of **** then?

The technical term for a piece of **** is "apprentice".

Were you ever an apprentice, or did you miss that stage of maturity?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 21:26:45 +0000, ARW, another troll-feeding idiot, wrote:

Isn't that the same thing?

No

About as different as a cock and vagina.

The Scottish sow THRIVES on morons like you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 20:56:14 +0000, ARW, another troll-feeding idiot, wrote:

The technical term for a piece of **** is "apprentice".

They cannot perform the simplest tasks you ask them to do (parents need
shooting).

There is nothing wrong with a 107 tester.

Just HOW retarded are you, troll-feeding idiot? Come on, demonstrate it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 22:13:07 +0000, Fredxx, the resident smartass,
smartassed again:

It really is best not to feed the phuckerprick - troll.

Then why do I often see your reply to his posts, seemingly wetting your
pants whilst lamely trying to wind him up.

Have you nothing better to do yourself, or do you feel you should have a
monopoly of abusing PHucker?

LOL!!! And the resident smartass is smartassing, yet again! ****ing
unbelievable! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english

wrote:

[...]

I think it dates back to the time when a decent shirt was an expensive
luxury item that the 'shirty proponent' would prefer not to get
bloodstained by his opponent's blood spatters (fisticuffs or sword
wounds). Also, of course, it would protect against sweat stains due to
his exertions which would indicate to his opponent that he was prepared
to get 'stuck in' and not back off[1]. And, finally, any flesh wounds
(gunshot or knife) would be less likely to become seriously infected by
cloth fragments forced into the deeper flesh by such weaponry.

[1] In this context, "Getting Shirty", the most common interpretation.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 March 2018 22:14:38 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/03/2018 20:56, ARW wrote:

So it's a piece of **** then?

The technical term for a piece of **** is "apprentice".

Were you ever an apprentice, or did you miss that stage of maturity?

I think he's missed most stages of maturity
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.usage.english
ARW ARW is offline

I think it dates back to the time when a decent shirt was an expensive
luxury item that the 'shirty proponent' would prefer not to get
bloodstained by his opponent's blood spatters (fisticuffs or sword
wounds). Also, of course, it would protect against sweat stains due to
his exertions which would indicate to his opponent that he was prepared
to get 'stuck in' and not back off[1]. And, finally, any flesh wounds
(gunshot or knife) would be less likely to become seriously infected by
cloth fragments forced into the deeper flesh by such weaponry.

[1] In this context, "Getting Shirty", the most common interpretation.

Charles I must have been rich then:-)

He could afford two shirts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
When I was 16 years old I could do a damn site more than the shower of
****e school leavers we have now.

Bet you couldn't write an SMS in 10 seconds, though. ;-)

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
When I was 16 years old I could do a damn site more than the shower of
****e school leavers we have now.

Bet you couldn't write an SMS in 10 seconds, though. ;-)

I have been told that you could do this without looking at the phone
hidden under the desk when phones had buttons.

--
Adam

What is happening with metrication? Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 91 December 17th 05 06:09 PM
What's happening? Robert Swinney Metalworking 2 June 13th 05 02:20 PM
what is happening to my TV? [email protected] Electronics Repair 14 March 29th 05 09:23 AM
what is happening? Aidan UK diy 41 January 20th 05 07:43 PM
OT What is happening to the gun control movement? Gunner Metalworking 21 May 27th 04 02:14 AM