Default what is happening to my TV?

it's panasonic color set, 15 years old. i have cable and watch the
cable channels thru my vcr.

my TV is prone to turning into snow a few minutes after I turn it on.
turning it off and on again solves it.

what gives? is this a tube problem or is it something else? thanks.

Jana

You should give the model number as well as the name of the set when asking
questions.

This may be a failure in the tuner, or there is a problem with the AGC.

Bring the set in for an estimate if you want to have it properly serviced.

Considering the age of the set, I would think more so it is time for a new
one!

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
ups.com...
it's panasonic color set, 15 years old. i have cable and watch the
cable channels thru my vcr.

my TV is prone to turning into snow a few minutes after I turn it on.
turning it off and on again solves it.

what gives? is this a tube problem or is it something else? thanks.

Sam:
I am certain that you realize that most customers in most shops always
think that the picture tube is bad WHENEVER there is any kind of fault
symptoms with their television.
electrocitym

Sam Goldwasser

writes:

Sam:
I am certain that you realize that most customers in most shops always
think that the picture tube is bad WHENEVER there is any kind of fault
symptoms with their television.
electrocitym

Yes, they also think that there is a film projector inside.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Mark

does your tv have video and audio inputs you can use instead to connect
to the vcr?

sounds like an intermitant problem in the tuner in the tv.

Mark

Mr. Land

Sounds like a possibly thermal intermittent IC somewhere in your tuner
section, either RF or IF. "Snow" usually indicates no TV signal at the
antenna, or in your case, some part of the circuitry that tunes and
amplifies the TV signal is intermittently failing. No failure of the
picture tube itself can directly produce snow, at least that I've ever
heard of.

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sam:
I am certain that you realize that most customers in most shops always
think that the picture tube is bad WHENEVER there is any kind of fault
symptoms with their television.
electrocitym

Except for when the tube *is* bad, then they think it just needs an
adjustment.

what's a scart socket?

will using the audio and video jacks instead of the single coax jack
bypass this problem too? thanks.

Barney

wrote in message
ups.com...
what's a scart socket?

will using the audio and video jacks instead of the single coax jack
bypass this problem too? thanks.

A Scart connector (also called a Euroconnector, so you may not have them in
the US) is a 21 pin audio and video connector for connecting signals - via a
suitable lead - between various AV equipment. Yes, using the audio and video
should also work and bypass the problem as well.

James Sweet

"Barney" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
what's a scart socket?

will using the audio and video jacks instead of the single coax jack
bypass this problem too? thanks.

A Scart connector (also called a Euroconnector, so you may not have them

in
the US) is a 21 pin audio and video connector for connecting signals - via

suitable lead - between various AV equipment. Yes, using the audio and

video
should also work and bypass the problem as well.

No US TV's have SCART connectors so it's understandable that someone from
here or Canada has never heard of them.

Steven

"Barney" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
what's a scart socket?

will using the audio and video jacks instead of the single coax jack
bypass this problem too? thanks.

A Scart connector (also called a Euroconnector, so you may not have them

in
the US) is a 21 pin audio and video connector for connecting signals -

via
suitable lead - between various AV equipment. Yes, using the audio and

video
should also work and bypass the problem as well.

No US TV's have SCART connectors so it's understandable that someone from
here or Canada has never heard of them.

Has anybody considered a fluctuation in voltage to the tuner or video amp
bringing signal level sporadically low (say by a component fluctuating
erratically such as a capacitor being drawn by a bad diode)? Not that I'm an
engineer, but humor me, as nobody else has addressed the question well yet
IMO.

what is happening? Aidan UK diy 41 January 20th 05 07:43 PM
OT What is happening to the gun control movement? Gunner Metalworking 21 May 27th 04 02:14 AM