Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this
forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to copy
files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm replacing
a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5" Floppy for a
Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD read / write drive
that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 19:53:16 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this
forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to copy
files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm replacing
a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5" Floppy for a
Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD read / write drive
that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=2599

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 19:53:16 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this
forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy
files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing
a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5" Floppy for a
Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD read / write
drive
that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=2599

NT

Thank you, but Google found me that page yesterday, and every link in it is
broken

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also hasÂ* CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Your best bet might be to install a network card, SCSI or failing that
parallel port or serial port data xfer software. I used to have a DOS
based CD writer that was SCSI based and drivers that might work with
modern kit are still around. Mine has long since worn out. Panasonic did
some exotic SCSI PD drives that were not CDs but were writeable. They
might be your best bet on that vintage of kit if you can find one.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/n...ridge.3213148/

Follow the links and pray. How much are you prepared to pay for legacy
kit that might solve this problem? It will be rare and expensive.

DOSREF on Simtel if it is still there might contain some pointers too.

Getting it to work today even if you find all the bits will be a PITA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/18 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also hasÂ* CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

I would be seriouldsly tempted to fit an ethernet card to that DOS6 machine.

http://www.pld.ttu.ee/~priidu/library/net/trumpet.html

is some basic software you can use to talk TCP

Of you have a serial port on the machine, then its possible that some
fule transfer over serial software might work, too

Alternatively I'd be tempted to run iup a basic LINUX machine and remove
the the hard drive from the PC and install it in the LINIUC machine top
retroeve the data.

If the data only exists on a 4.5" floppy, then you are probably shafted
as it would probably me the only example of a 4.5" dloppy in the world

OIf its on a 3.5" floppy use linux on an old machine that can boot from
DVD and also run a floppy as well

YOu will not find a DVD unit that works with DOS - Dos predates the DVD
by years. Ditto USB

Andrew

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/18 20:05, Andrew Mawson wrote:
wrote in message

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 19:53:16 UTC, Andrew MawsonÂ* wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this
forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me
to copy
files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing
a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5" Floppy for a
Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also hasÂ* CD/DVD read / write
drive
that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=2599

NT

Thank you, but Google found me that page yesterday, and every link in it
is broken

Andrew

YOur problem is more hardware than software.

If you meant a 3.5" floppy, get a USB 3.5" drive from currys (etc)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...77724-pdt.html

You can read the data straight into that Compac DC7600...

Whether the Compac will ruun freeDos or whatever and actually be able to
use it is another matter

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

[...]

Yes 3.5" Floppy - 4.5" angle grinders on the mind

I've already got drivers loaded at boot in autoexec / config.sys letting me
read CD / DVD's into the DC7600 but cannot go the other way to save files
generated on the CNC lathe.

I suppose some sort of dual boot approach might be a goer - can one dual
boot DOS 6.22 and say Windoze 7 Pro so win7 can see the DOS files ?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also hasÂ* CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Boot a live CD disk and use that to copy the files.
Maybe put a USB card in and use a flash drive rather than a CD.
You can get bootable CDs for linux or windows that will probably work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"dennis@home" Wrote in message:
On 13/02/2018 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Boot a live CD disk and use that to copy the files.
Maybe put a USB card in and use a flash drive rather than a CD.
You can get bootable CDs for linux or windows that will probably work.

How much ram & other resources does a dos6.22 violence have Dennis?
Which version of Linux would you recommend?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Andrew Mawson" Wrote in
message:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this
forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to copy
files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm replacing
a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5" Floppy for a
Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD read / write drive
that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Null modem cable?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:54:12 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

The easiest way to go would be to pull out the hard disk drive and
attach it to the SFF PC via an IDE to USB adapter (dongle with its own
12v/5v PSU brick or else utilise a long since retired USB IDE HDD
enclosure, also with its own PSU - there may well be a few of the latter
gathering dust somewhere about the premises).

I rather doubt the drive will be so ancient as to need a two cable
Shugart connection or the even rarer single cable ESDI connection and
SCSI seems a less likely alternative to the 40 wire ATA (IDE) interface
(do-able but a damn sight more expensive than IDE) so the chance of the
drive being an IDE type for which you can still get hold of IDE to USB
adapters with relative ease is pretty high.

Obviously, you need to verify which interface is used by the internal
drive before embarking on a "Beg, borrow or steal" odyssey for an IDE to
USB adapter of one sort or another. You can post more details, if the
internal HDD *isn't* the more usual IDE type, for further suggestions and
guidance.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message ...

[...]

It's a SATA drive in the DC7600 but continuously pulling it out is not an
option - the PC will be buried in the bowels of the machine. It has numerous
USB connections and a 10/100 network port but it was previously running Win
7 pro and has been 'down graded' to DOS 6.22 to replace the original Viglen
that is on its last legs. The various ports are there - the issue is driving
them under DOS !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 22:09:10 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Why don't you run win98 then? There's plenty of relevant software for it. It needs a lot of 3rd party patches installing, including one to run with 500M RAM, one to access 128G HDD, sane usb support etc. If you can run your app under a dos box wile running 98, all your options are open.... so I suspect you can't.

If it's for factory production, I can quite see why you wouldn't want 98. 95 is pretty stable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 22:09, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Johnny B Good"Â* wrote in message ...

[...]

All you need then is the legacy driver for the 10/100 network port.
Find a suitable SCSI card and driver and you have another way out.
Or if you must a dual boot scenario.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 22:41, wrote:
[...]

Win 98, especially SE2 is far, far more reliable that Win 95. I would
lose count of how many crashes and reboots I would need for Win 95
during the working day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 22:09:12 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:54:12 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me
to copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine -
I'm replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is
3.5" Floppy for a Compaq DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has
[...]

Sorry, I missed the significance of your "NB" statement, thinking you
were still referring to the old Viglen rather than the new SFF Compaq PC.

Incidentally, you missed the significance that I was referring to the
old Viglen's HDD. I wasn't suggesting you remove the drive from the newer
machine. However, all that aside, I think, as others have suggested, that
a null modem cable be used to link the *both* MSDOS 6.22 machines and
install a small serial file transfer program on each machine. There are
several to choose from (interlink, laplink and fastlyinx to name but
three).

I did a search expecting to find plenty of freeware versions but I
mostly landed up on sites offering much later versions that weren't free
or shareware. The I added "abandonware" to my search phrase which led me
to sites requiring registration just to download my chosen "Abandonware"
but I did land up on one that didn't insist on registration of any sort
so was able to download a tiny programme called "interlink" as a 35KB zip
file containing 55KB's worth in four files just to test the download and
take a peek at the files.

Whilst there, a utility called "Miracle-driver" caught my attention
since it was described as:-

"Miracle-driver from Japan does the unthinkable, allows USB peripherals
to be accessed from the DOS command line. 32 KB"

The download is a 32KB zip file containing 3 .sys files named
di1000dd.sys, usbaspi.sys and usbcd.sys. Maybe this will support flash
thumb drives although it looks more like driver support for USB CDROM and
CD writer drives to me. Anyhow, you're welcome to the link to this site's
downloads page.

http://www.pcxt-micro.com/download.html

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Do you think you could run this in a VM? You might try Disk2VHD, which
would at least give you a copy of the whole thing to play with. The VHD
can then be opened in something like 7zip, and individual files
transferred, if you don't want to try to boot it up in a VM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 00:45:45 +0000, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Do you think you could run this in a VM? You might try Disk2VHD, which
would at least give you a copy of the whole thing to play with. The VHD
can then be opened in something like 7zip, and individual files
transferred, if you don't want to try to boot it up in a VM.

How does this help him WRITE a CD?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes it might also need an old copy of zip to enable disc spanning of the
files between floppies. I'm sure many also have floppies that work, most
still do if given a little tlc.
Other thoughts, has it got a serial port? Then it could be possible to
shove a serial card in another machine to enable the two to talk over a
null modem cable.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the various replies.

I have already backed up the original Viglen PC that runs DOS 6.2 using
MSBACKUP (13 Floppies)
and restored them to the replacement Compac DC7600 by loading the 6.2
version of MSBACKUP
onto the DC7600 (as the 6.2 and 6.22 versions aren't compatible !!!!)
The DC7600 is up and running, I've put drivers in the autoexec & config.sys
to allow me to READ
CDs -

The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's been
embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer files
easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Johnny - B -Good thanks for that link as the USB ports would be handy also

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

I thought he was only looking for a way to get data from the disk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/18 08:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's been
embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer files
easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Ah.

Finally the context emerges.

Honestly your best bet may be to run the DOS in a VM and use the actual
host system to do the DVD burning.

BUT if you must.,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCvSp1Ea-YM

seems to show that some sort of CD-ROM driver exists for DOS 6.22 - you
could try that - but it may be read only.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/burndisk.exe

is a DOS executable that can burn CDs/DVDS

see
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...-command-line/

But it expects a windows 7 subsystem...

In short you could waste a lot of time and get nowhere.

Seriusly, how does the PC communicate with the lathe? I would really be
thinking that virtualbox running DOS is the way to go...and some kind of
access to the host file system from there.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47461 shows how to
access a samba server on the host machine, which is a snap if the host
is running Linux.

It should work with 'windows shares' on the host too, or on a remote
machine if the PC is networked.

None of this is simple.

Another option might be to run DOSBOX.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Set...tion_of_DosBox

My inclinations since I cut mt teeth on networking DOS would bve a linux
host running samba, and a DOS VM with networking code inside it to mount
directories on the host system.

But thats just me. DOSBOX looks like an option too.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also hasÂ* CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Do you think you could run this in a VM?Â* You might try Disk2VHD, which
would at least give you a copy of the whole thing to play with.Â* The VHD
can then be opened in something like 7zip, and individual files
transferred, if you don't want to try to boot it up in a VM.

How does this help him WRITE a CD?

I thought he was only looking for a way to get data from the disk.

Yeah. As usual what the OP really wants only emerges after a load of
wasted suggestions

It does seem to me that since the new machine has an ethernet interface,
getting TCP/IP working on the DOS is probvaly the easiest way to push
files off it.

http://californiasoftwaresystems.com/ts/tcp-ip/

seems to be aimed at this sport of case.

The more I see what te situation is the more I tend tiowqwrds any
solution BUT using the DVD drive from DOS.

I think my two front runners are to get raw TCP/IP and netbios working
on the bare bones DOS machine OR use a fully functional host operating
system anbd run DOSBOX inside that.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/18 08:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's
been embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer files
easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Ah.

Finally the context emerges.

Honestly your best bet may be to run the DOS in a VM and use the actual
host system to do the DVD burning.

I expect the reason it has to be MSDOS 6.x is that there are real mode
peeky pokey drivers that prod some custom interface hardware directly.

I am fairly sure that DOS software to write CDs and the even earlier
Panasonic proprietary PD disks was available in the dim and distant past
back when they were expensive SCSI based peripherals. Secondhand SCSI
writers are still available but finding a set of the drivers and shims
to make it all work today on DOS might be something of a challenge.

It might be easier to find a printer port based ZIP device of that era
complete with a set of MDDOS drivers on eBay.

[...]

Getting the network card to behave on the embedded box and then using
network shares might be the least difficult way out. The external PC can
run a modern OS that handles the backup process.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

on the bare bones DOS machine OR useÂ* a fully functional host operating
system anbd run DOSBOX inside that.

http://www.kompx.com/en/network-setu...ork-client.htm

actually HAS the two disk images needed to install client TCPIP on DOS.

You will need NDIS drivers to suit the ethernet interface in the machine
- I assume it is an intel chipset on the motherboard...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...rs-for-MS-DOS-

Once you have network mapped drives the issue of file transfer goes away.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/18 09:21, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/02/18 08:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's
been embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer
files easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Ah.

Finally the context emerges.

Honestly your best bet may be to run the DOS in a VM and use the
actual host system to do the DVD burning.

I expect the reason it has to be MSDOS 6.x is that there are real mode
peeky pokey drivers that prod some custom interface hardware directly.

Not necessarily. Ive seen a lot done with just a serial port..

The OP doesnt mention custom hardware at all.

I am fairly sure that DOS software to write CDs and the even earlier
Panasonic proprietary PD disks was available in the dim and distant past
back when they were expensive SCSI based peripherals. Secondhand SCSI
writers are still available but finding a set of the drivers and shims
to make it all work today on DOS might be something of a challenge.

It might be easier to find a printer port based ZIP device of that era
complete with a set of MDDOS drivers on eBay.

Its getting nasty.

My chief point is that getting networking working should be easier than
writing to a DVD drive....and achieves file transfer much more easily.

[...]

IF he has enough RAM to handle a TCP/IP stack them installing workgroups
for DOS or whatever the **** its called will produce a pretty reliable
TCP stack and netbios that will allow mounting of remote samba or
windows 'shares' on the DOS machine.

If not the DOSBOX route may be the way to go

DVD burning software for DOS is never going to be an easy find.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 08:08:07 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's been
embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer files
easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Assuming that PC doesn't come with a floppy drive and a quick look
online suggests that they do do one with, you may have made things
more difficult than you meant buy not getting a PC without a floppy
drive or at least a bay for one?

However, there are still loads of modernish PC's available second hand
for next to nothing that come with a 3.5" floppy drive and you know it
would 'just work' OOTB. ;-)

If you did want to back stuff up now and again then booting a USB
Linux image and writing stuff to CD / DVD or booting from a Linux DVD
and writing to USB should be easy.

I have setup such a machine (granite worktop CNC router) and am aware
for production work it really needs to be KISS. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

I only ever got Netware working with MS-DOS. Windows networking was a
bit of a novelty at the time :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 09:21:08 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Some later writing software can be invoked from command line to run in dos. I just can't remember which.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Finally the context emerges.

I am very grateful for your (and everyone else's) help, BUT I think that is
a bit unfair - I said in the original post:

"I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine "

http://www.intelliadmin.com/burndisk.exe

is a DOS executable that can burn CDs/DVDS

Sadly burndisk.exe will NOT run under DOS reporting "This program cannot be
run in DOS mode" I down loaded it a few days ago

But as I said - I am very grateful for your help . . . . . .

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

On 14/02/18 09:21, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/02/18 08:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's
been embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer files
easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Ah.

Finally the context emerges.

Honestly your best bet may be to run the DOS in a VM and use the actual
host system to do the DVD burning.

I expect the reason it has to be MSDOS 6.x is that there are real mode
peeky pokey drivers that prod some custom interface hardware directly.

Not necessarily. Ive seen a lot done with just a serial port..

The OP doesnt mention custom hardware at all.

Although there is oodles of custom hardware in the machine it is all
interfaced by two serial ports. One is slow speed and not timing critical as
it is only the operators panel / keyboard, however the other (I presume) is
running flat out at top speed as timing is very critical during threading
operations as it has to synchronise readings from the main shaft optical
encoder with the X and Z axis drivers.

Regards,

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Yeah. As usual what the OP really wants only emerges after a load of wasted
suggestions

I really do think the requirement was clearly stated in the original post.
Perhaps you missed that one ?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 08:08:07 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Tim,

I deliberately chose a DC7600 (off my pile of them !) that DOES have a
floppy facia and drive as well as the normal CD/DVD one, so I do have the
option of floppy transfer but it's a pain. Sadly all my adventures running
Linux have ended with much confusion and a splitting headache The thought
of booting some operating system from a USB stick that will allow me to see
the DOS files on the C: drive and write CDs though does sound quite possible

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
news
Yeah. As usual what the OP really wants only emerges after a load of
wasted suggestions

I really do think the requirement was clearly stated in the original
post. Perhaps you missed that one ?

Andrew

I'm going to admit that I was a bit confused, although that is probably
obvious by now :-) I thought you just wanted to get some data off the
old PC, for importing into new software on the new PC. I didn't realise
you planned to run the same OS and software on the new one, too. But
yes, it seems clear enough now. If the software drives a specialised
controller, I don't think you can communicate with it from a VM. If it
uses standard connectors that already exist on the new PC, there's a
chance you can. If you are able to run it in a VM, then you can use
folder sharing for the data transfer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Andrew Mawson" Wrote in
message:
news

[...]

If the serials are in use Laplink used to use parallel ports?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LapLink_cable

Appreciate it's not a burn cd solution but how often would a CD
get burnt? Vs hooking up a laptop & "networking" via a cable?
Cable could be quite long...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 11:36, Andrew Mawson wrote:

The thought of booting some operating system from a USB stick that will
allow me to see the DOS files on the C: drive

I thought of BartPE but find it is no more.
I shall go roll my trousers.

and write CDs though does
sound quite possible

or in that case possibly write to another USB stick if you wish

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:33:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The OP doesnt mention custom hardware at all.

"legacy CNC machine"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

A quick option would be a copy of laplink and a serial or parallel
transfer cable. Just suck the files off to a laptop etc.

Network card would be another option.

Physically accessing the hard drive on another platform may work, but it
depends a bit on what disk interface it has. IDE/SCSI should be doable
without too much hassle. ST506/ESDI will pose more of a challenge.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

For clarification, which machine are you trying to write CDs from? the
old viglen, or the new SFF box?

(I got the impression this was a "one off" bulk shift of data from the
old box).

--
Cheers,

John.