Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:54:12 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD
read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

The easiest way to go would be to pull out the hard disk drive and
attach it to the SFF PC via an IDE to USB adapter (dongle with its own
12v/5v PSU brick or else utilise a long since retired USB IDE HDD
enclosure, also with its own PSU - there may well be a few of the latter
gathering dust somewhere about the premises).

I rather doubt the drive will be so ancient as to need a two cable
Shugart connection or the even rarer single cable ESDI connection and
SCSI seems a less likely alternative to the 40 wire ATA (IDE) interface
(do-able but a damn sight more expensive than IDE) so the chance of the
drive being an IDE type for which you can still get hold of IDE to USB
adapters with relative ease is pretty high.

Obviously, you need to verify which interface is used by the internal
drive before embarking on a "Beg, borrow or steal" odyssey for an IDE to
USB adapter of one sort or another. You can post more details, if the
internal HDD *isn't* the more usual IDE type, for further suggestions and
guidance.

--
Johnny B Good