Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

news

On 13/02/18 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this
forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me to
copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine - I'm
replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media is 4.5"
Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has CD/DVD read
/ write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

I would be seriouldsly tempted to fit an ethernet card to that DOS6
machine.

http://www.pld.ttu.ee/~priidu/library/net/trumpet.html

is some basic software you can use to talk TCP

Of you have a serial port on the machine, then its possible that some fule
transfer over serial software might work, too

Alternatively I'd be tempted to run iup a basic LINUX machine and remove
the the hard drive from the PC and install it in the LINIUC machine top
retroeve the data.

If the data only exists on a 4.5" floppy, then you are probably shafted as
it would probably me the only example of a 4.5" dloppy in the world

OIf its on a 3.5" floppy use linux on an old machine that can boot from
DVD and also run a floppy as well

YOu will not find a DVD unit that works with DOS - Dos predates the DVD by
years. Ditto USB

Andrew

Yes 3.5" Floppy - 4.5" angle grinders on the mind

I've already got drivers loaded at boot in autoexec / config.sys letting me
read CD / DVD's into the DC7600 but cannot go the other way to save files
generated on the CNC lathe.

I suppose some sort of dual boot approach might be a goer - can one dual
boot DOS 6.22 and say Windoze 7 Pro so win7 can see the DOS files ?

Andrew