Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On 14/02/18 09:21, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/02/18 08:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's
been embedded into the
CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able to transfer
files easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

Ah.

Finally the context emerges.

Honestly your best bet may be to run the DOS in a VM and use the
actual host system to do the DVD burning.

I expect the reason it has to be MSDOS 6.x is that there are real mode
peeky pokey drivers that prod some custom interface hardware directly.

Not necessarily. Ive seen a lot done with just a serial port..

The OP doesnt mention custom hardware at all.

I am fairly sure that DOS software to write CDs and the even earlier
Panasonic proprietary PD disks was available in the dim and distant past
back when they were expensive SCSI based peripherals. Secondhand SCSI
writers are still available but finding a set of the drivers and shims
to make it all work today on DOS might be something of a challenge.

It might be easier to find a printer port based ZIP device of that era
complete with a set of MDDOS drivers on eBay.

Its getting nasty.

My chief point is that getting networking working should be easier than
writing to a DVD drive....and achieves file transfer much more easily.

BUT if you must.,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCvSp1Ea-YM

seems to show that some sort of CD-ROM driver exists for DOS 6.22 -
you could try that - but it may be read only.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/burndisk.exe

is a DOS executable that can burn CDs/DVDS

see
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...-command-line/

But it expects a windows 7 subsystem...

In short you could waste a lot of time and get nowhere.

Seriusly, how does the PC communicate with the lathe? I would really
be thinking that virtualbox running DOS is the way to go...and some
kind of access to the host file system from there.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47461 shows how to
access a samba server on the host machine, which is a snap if the host
is running Linux.

It should work with 'windows shares' on the host too, or on a remote
machine if the PC is networked.

Getting the network card to behave on the embedded box and then using
network shares might be the least difficult way out. The external PC can
run a modern OS that handles the backup process.

IF he has enough RAM to handle a TCP/IP stack them installing workgroups
for DOS or whatever the **** its called will produce a pretty reliable
TCP stack and netbios that will allow mounting of remote samba or
windows 'shares' on the DOS machine.

If not the DOSBOX route may be the way to go

DVD burning software for DOS is never going to be an easy find.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson